Menu

What do you do when a curriculum is unfinished?

Keep plugging through it all summer?

continue it next year?

call it done, and move on?

currently Essentials in Literature 7 is my issue..... we only got about a quarter of the way through it. We like it just fine. But I really don’t want to continue it next year.  My DD reads a lot.  A whole lot. She devours books...... not sure what to do.....

I look at whether or not the skills taught are needed to advance. Then I look at other ways I could accomplish teaching them. If I'm comfortable adapting and moving on, I go on to the next thing. Literature would fit neatly in the group of subjects I'm pretty confident teaching. I would look at what is left, pick and choose, or just toss it and do something different for the subject. 

• Like 3

Thank you so much.... I dislike wasting money on curriculum I don’t use..... and I detest wasting time too.  ?  time is an issue here.... with 20 hours  a week of competitive gymnastics practice.   DD would be happiest to do lots of science and math, crafts/projects and read books .... but I don’t want to miss anything vital. 

Skills I think kid needs to learn and the curriculum is an enjoyable way of learning those skills? Keep going with it. Or find another way to teach it.

Hate the curriculum? Bored of it? Move on, teach something else, but make sure you get to those skills you had been meaning to teach. 

We school year round, so we just keep going through the summer, taking breaks as desired. 

Sounds like in your case, you should just leave the curriculum. Don't worry about finishing it, and call it done. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GeoKitty said:

continue it next year?

currently Essentials in Literature 7 is my issue..... we only got about a quarter of the way through it. We like it just fine. But I really don’t want to continue it next year.  My DD reads a lot.  A whole lot. She devours books...... not sure what to do.....

We used to just work on stuff until we were finished or tired of it, then we moved on, whenever that was.

I did not feel compelled to stick to a September-through-June school year, so for us, the year began January 1 and ended December 31. :-) And just as with most other things in real life, there was no reason to start or stop because of the time of year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GeoKitty said:

Thank you so much.... I dislike wasting money on curriculum I don’t use..... and I detest wasting time too.  ?  time is an issue here.... with 20 hours  a week of competitive gymnastics practice.   DD would be happiest to do lots of science and math, crafts/projects and read books .... but I don’t want to miss anything vital. 

There is nothing in any literature curriculum on the planet that is actually vital.  If she is learning how to write academic prose (and IMO it is better to decouple this from literature study anyway), then you're doing just fine.

• Like 5

Thank you! 

To clarify a bit, we actually do school year round..... but in the summer we stick to math, foreign language, and reading. And whatever they want to do. But I do stop other curriculum. Also, high school level stuff continues until it is done. Even if that means my high schooler  will be doing it all summer ?

• Like 1

EKS..... ?Thanks! That helps!  DD writes very well.  I feel like there is such a push for understanding literature, and literary analysis nowadays.... and don’t want to mess that up. I much prefer to read and discuss..... and throw in some literary terms . Thanks. 

51 minutes ago, GeoKitty said:

EKS..... ?Thanks! That helps!  DD writes very well.  I feel like there is such a push for understanding literature, and literary analysis nowadays.... and don’t want to mess that up. I much prefer to read and discuss..... and throw in some literary terms . Thanks. 

That's what I did. EiW wasn't out in time for us to try it or I probably would have. But, I never met a literary analysis curriculum that I fell in love with, and the one full program I used in high school really wasn't worth it. I should have stuck with reading and discussing and throwing in some literary terms as I had done other years!

I occasionally did use a free downloadable guide like the ones from Glencoe or ones I found googling a specific book, and then would pick and choose questions from them. Other times I just highlighted things that were meaningful or powerful to me, or just talked about what my kids were interested in. 

As far as using a partial curriculum though--just think of it as a "sunk cost" and move on. You got some use out of it, and you learned what you prefer (cheaper than taking a class, LOL!). Move on with confidence!

• Like 3

I think we are similar to others. If we are not loving the curriculum and it has felt like a trudge I don't continue it. I look at what is left and may choose to use other things to teach those concepts. 

If it's working and we plan on continuing with the next level, I look to see if those skills get retaught in the next level. If they do I may not worry about it, if they don't we just keep going. We school year round so continuing on is typically what we choose. 

Regardless of when we finish a curriculum, we just get the next level and keep moving.

• Like 1

Thank you.  ? I don’t plan to buy the next level... but , when I really like a curriculum and it is a good fit , I do continue along with it.  I will look through it to see what concepts are covered that we haven’t gotten to yet. I think we actually did more like 45-50% , not 25%.... I had forgotten that we skipped around a bit.  

Thanks! 

11 hours ago, GeoKitty said:

continue it next year?

I’ve done mostly your first and second options. This year I’m going with mostly option 3. Science and History are done by Friday, June 1, regardless of where we actually are in the books. Writing and grammar are done by the end of August, again, regardless of where we are in the books. Math we’ll just keep going. We do a little school here and there throughout the summer but I want it to be light, fun, and take minimal time. We’re moving from World History to US History, starting new science topics, and switching English programs. After years of doing school year round with no clear start or end, I need a year where we feel finished and get to have the excitement of starting almost everything new in the fall. My kids don’t know about the plan to leave things unfinished because right now they’re working hard to finish up and get a break from some things for the summer. I’d hate to lose that motivation by telling them we’re not finishing! ?

• Like 1

Alisoncooks..... no it’s not a bad curriculum. DD actually picked it out herself.... and doesn’t mind doing it. It doesn’t even take all that much time a day. We just prioritized other things more.... DD has 20 hours a week of gymnastics, and does a once a week co-op which has some homework.  Geometry, Biology and Czech get done first since they are high school classes.   History was next to get done.  Greek and French also got pushed to the side.  Writing and literature is one of her coop classes, so we pushed our own English aside.  Truthfully, we had planned way too much.  

• Like 1