Menu

2018 AP Thread

12 hours ago, Brigid in NC said:

Hi, all--in the past few years (I'm not sure how far back, but I don't think more than a few years) when I 've gone to renew my syllabi (which much be renewed yearly), I have had to sign a statement saying I would abide by this. It always causes me a bit of angst--but I have never had any students in my AP classes that are younger than 9th grade. I just wanted to put this out there for you to read in case you have not seen these CB guidelines.

I am **definitely NOT** advocating for "this age" or "that age" being right or being a minimum age to take any AP classes. This is just fyi so that you are aware of what the CB is telling AP teachers about classes that use the AP label. I assume that if I do not sign my agreement to abide by this, that my AP syllabi would not be renewed.

Is this why Blue Tent has such rigid age requirements? I've considered your courses, but, like some of the others in this thread, the courses won't work with my accelerated learner because of the age requirements.

15 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

Is this why Blue Tent has such rigid age requirements? I've considered your courses, but, like some of the others in this thread, the courses won't work with my accelerated learner because of the age requirements.

No. We have age/grade guidelines for all of our classes--not just the AP classes. We are always happy to talk to parents (by email and/or phone) about exceptions if they contact us--especially if the student is one year away from the grade/age minimum we request. We ask for writing samples and offer our candid feedback. Some younger students have been our absolute tip-top students, but we have also found that younger students are often more challenged by the workload, pacing, and online environment than their older counterparts--so we really do want to help students enjoy and succeed in our classes--and help families find the best fit. ?

• Like 1

Hi all,  

Just so that those of you who don't have the tippy top performers don't feel bad, I'm posting dd's scores.  She had a rough year ... depression and anxiety, compounded by indecision over college and applying to about 9 extra scholarships trying to make some of her borderline/too expensive schools work.  She did most of her work at the public high school, but, being the buttinsky/control freak that I am (according to the PS parents), I kept track of her work.

AP Studio Art: 4 (she got a 5 last year - this year, she experimented with new techniques and a more abstract concentration.)

AP Psych: 4

AP Lit: 3 (she was shocked.  She had done very well on all of the practice questions.)  

So, this doesn't get her a ton of college credit, but since she is going into engineering, the school would likely not have taken much for credit.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2018 at 8:07 AM, counselinggirl said:

So sorry this happened. This happened to DD with her AP Lang score and it was upsetting, especially since we have no idea when she will get her score. Wonder what is up with college board and all the delayed scores this season. ?

He received his SAT Chemistry score today. I did call last week to see if they could escalate. Hopefully your daughter’s AP Lang score is already out. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 12:28 AM, Arcadia said:

He received his SAT Chemistry score today. I did call last week to see if they could escalate. Hopefully your daughter’s AP Lang score is already out. 

So glad your son received his score! Thanks for checking on us.

I also had to call several times. Dd put the wrong test date down on exam paperwork so they sent it to the "Office of Integrity!!!" ? Luckily, the school where she took the exam was SUPER helpful and sent them the seating charts, list of students taking exam, and some other documentation to verify Dd was indeed there on the day of the exam! Thank goodness for the AP Administrator--she was amazing and helpful. College Board were quite the alarmists about not being able to talk to us and only transferring us to the "Office of Integrity!" It is funny now but not at the time...we had no idea what was wrong. It was just a simple mistake of writing down the wrong date....Code 97! HA! Dd will never do that again but at least she got a great score! ?

• Like 2