Menu

2018 AP Thread

4 hours ago, freesia said:

My ds thought the Stats was hard (and he wasn't pulling out a hairdo).  He has an A in the class, too.  He said he didn't finish.

oh dear. we may have to re-think edhesive ap stats... please keep me posted how the score comes in...

can't wait until july - too long to wait!

7 hours ago, freesia said:

Oh, your poor dd!  I am so glad prom worked out okay for her after all.

My ds thought the Stats was hard (and he wasn't pulling out a hairdo).  He has an A in the class, too.  He said he didn't finish.

DS also took Stats and thought it was more difficult than most of the previous tests especially the FRQs.

On 5/17/2018 at 10:15 PM, Momto5inIN said:

He used AoPS as his main curriculum, then Barron's test prep book and an out of print book bought used on Amazon called Solutions AP Calculus Problems Part II AB and BC 1987-2001 by Broadwin Lenchner and Rudolph.

Thank you! 

On 5/17/2018 at 7:15 PM, Momto5inIN said:

He used AoPS as his main curriculum, then Barron's test prep book and an out of print book bought used on Amazon called Solutions AP Calculus Problems Part II AB and BC 1987-2001 by Broadwin Lenchner and Rudolph.

FYI, I notice a version of the Solutions guide (off by one year?) is available as a free pdf download from the MOEMS store.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2018 at 7:15 PM, Momto5inIN said:

Did he think it was enough of a bridge from aops to the exam? 

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Did he think it was enough of a bridge from aops to the exam? 

Yes, definitely. The AoPS book prepared him for all the calculus concepts, and the test prep books showed him the format they like the answers to be in and gave him plenty of practice. He said he felt very comfortable with the exam and only had a couple of questions that stumped him.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Results are out for California. DS13 just woked up and got the results he hoped for (Chemistry and the two Physics C exams). Now to wait for his June SAT Chemistry results next week.

ETA:

Chemistry (PAH) 5

Physics C Mechanics (PAH, Jeff Lanctot) 5

Physics C Electricity & Magnetism (PAH, Jeff Lanctot) 5

• Like 13

Ds did well:

5 Psychology (Sonlight self-study)

4 Statistics (Edhesive) He's thrilled with this as he thought he'd bombed.

4 Eng. Lit (PAH)

4 US Gov't (PAH)

He's a bit disappointed with the last 2 4s bc he felt great about those tests--but we all realize that that's the way it goes sometimes and he can get the credit that he needs/wants.

So, this child is done with the APs and is thrilled to go on to college.  We don't know yet how he will "use" those credits, but he has them.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, freesia said:

Ds did well:

4 Statistics (Edhesive) He's thrilled with this as he thought he'd bombed.

Thank you for posting this, and congratulations to your DS!

What did you think of the Edhesive statistics course?  Pros, cons?  Did he think it prepared him well?  My younger dd is considering the class.   

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, daijobu said:

Thank you for posting this, and congratulations to your DS!

What did you think of the Edhesive statistics course?  Pros, cons?  Did he think it prepared him well?  My younger dd is considering the class.   

In general I thought it was a good class. The videos were good and the course work covered what it needed to. He didn't use the forum for questions so I can't speak to that.

My big hesitation, particularly in view of the fact that Edhesive has raised their prices significantly is how will the FRQs be graded.  It is not done by computer and, at first, I didn't have access to the teacher material as I had with Comp Sci  a couple of years ago.There were also a couple of projects we didn't do because we didn't have access to materials.  This was okay for $150 (particularly after they quickly sent me the material--the customer service was excellent), but not for $500 or whatever it is now.  I would want to do no grading.  As it was, with our crazy year, I had not planned to be involved and it was annoying. Anyway, make sure you ask how the grading will be handled.

When he was lacking in confidence about the exam, I was concerned again, but he did fine, so I am happy.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alewife said:

She felt very prepared for both of them and thought she did well coming out of the tests, but it is a relief to have the scores in-hand.   

DS13 felt he might have mess up on one of the FRQs for Chemistry so the score was a relief since he was hoping not to have to do Chemistry as an academic subject in college (engineering school). 

14 minutes ago, daijobu said:

DS12 tried the Edhesive statistics class and gave up in less than two months because he was too bored. He is doing a 6 week summer class now and the pace is just nice with time left to play. DS13 is doing the same summer class with his brother and find the pace too slow, he estimated that he would have taken two months to self study statistics without a class to provide deadlines. 

Congrats to your oldest daughter on winning the High School Essay Contest. Our kids were in the same class for physics. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mirabillis said:

also happy to hear about edhesive stats class... you have been our guinea pig, freesia.

I'm glad that this is my smart, but type B student that's the guinea pig.  DD15 is much more driven and detail oriented.  One thing he never did was read the online book (bc it was always listed as optional). She would have read it and probably pulled at 5.

• Like 3

Anyone ever receive a 

“delayed score code 97?”

DD has this message next to her AP Language exam. ?? Anyone ever have this happen? DD and I were both so upset! 

She did receive a score on her AP Gov (5-yay!) so it wasn’t all her exams, just the one. 

Thabks for any input. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, counselinggirl said:

Anyone ever receive a 

“delayed score code 97?”

DD has this message next to her AP Language exam. ?? Anyone ever have this happen? DD and I were both so upset! 

From a little Googling, could be messy handwriting, a difference in the manual filling out of test booklet information (so they have to manually match it to your name/account), materials arriving later, or some technological snafu on their end. They say they'll email you, but I'd just keep checking back once a week or so.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

From a little Googling, could be messy handwriting, a difference in the manual filling out of test booklet information (so they have to manually match it to your name/account), materials arriving later, or some technological snafu on their end. They say they'll email you, but I'd just keep checking back once a week or so.

Thanks RootAnn! 

We received great news yesterday!  Two 4s, which is what each was expecting!

VERY happy with dd's English Lang class! DD knows her stuff very well, but timed-tests are not her strength, so being over-prepared was the only way for her to even hope for a passing score! Thrilled with the 4 & dd will coast through her English Comp II class next semester due to this class!

DS's score was in Computer Science. I did not love the class he was in, and he had other things going on and didn't study much at all for the test, so a 4 is plenty good enough. Next year he has some tough AP classes, so the point of this one was just to get his feet wet, and it served that purpose. ?

• Like 9

For those planning for the future, I received an email from Maya Inspektor at PAH regarding her class's AP Lang & Comp scores.  46% of her students earned a 5 and another 30% earned a 4 (national average was 11% and 18%, respectively). 

So you'll be in good hands in her class  (or at the very least, be in the company of exceptional peers).  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Here is another data point for those of you planning ahead.  My D received an email from Mr. Moskaluk at ChemAdvantage:  Based on the chart he sent, about 45% of his class received a 5 on the exam and 29% received a 4.  (The national averages were 12.6% and 17.3 % respectively.). The kids learn a ton of chemistry in his class and they are extremely well prepared for the AP exam.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, daijobu said:

For those planning for the future, I received an email from Maya Inspektor at PAH regarding her class's AP Lang & Comp scores.  46% of her students earned a 5 and another 30% earned a 4 (national average was 11% and 18%, respectively). 

So you'll be in good hands in her class  (or at the very least, be in the company of exceptional peers).  

Can’t multiquote but thank you to you and alewife for these two data points.

any other PA homeschoolers instructor emails re scores, anyone?

• Like 2

Congratulations to everyone. 

For those whose kids didn't get the results you hoped, don't be hesitant to share. It creates a feeling that "everyone" here gets 4s and 5s and my kid isn't good enough. It's good to get the full picture and keep things in perspective. At my ds's youth group the results ranged from 2-5. I think it was good for everyone to be real. And the boy who finally got a 3 after two years of 2s was able to celebrate instead of feel like he'd failed or something. 

Anyway, that's my public service announcement. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, freesia said:

Congratulations to everyone. 

For those whose kids didn't get the results you hoped, don't be hesitant to share. It creates a feeling that "everyone" here gets 4s and 5s and my kid isn't good enough. It's good to get the full picture and keep things in perspective. At my ds's youth group the results ranged from 2-5. I think it was good for everyone to be real. And the boy who finally got a 3 after two years of 2s was able to celebrate instead of feel like he'd failed or something. 

Anyway, that's my public service announcement. 

Amen.

That's why I posted my son's 3. I think producing the written FRQ answers was a challenge for him.  And it was just a challenging year with lots of obligations to challenge. I'm pleased he earned a 3.

• Like 6

Here are other data points for reference!

Blue Tent AP English Language & Composition (and the national averages)

Score of 5: 59% (nat'l avg: 11%)

Score of 4: 29% (nat'l avg: 18%)

Blue Tent AP English Literature & Composition (and the national averages)

Score of 5: 60% (nat'l avg: 5.6%)

Score of 4: 40% (nat'l avg: 14.6%)

PAH Computer Science A:

AP Score         National Percentage          Our Class Percentage
5                                    25%                                      50%
4                                    21%                                      38%
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

DS17 had mixed results. 

Chem: 3 (disappointed, thought he was a solid 4 based on practice tests going in)

Microecon: 4

Gov: 4 (was sure he nailed a 5, but...)

Lit and Comp: 5 (stunned..he was sure he had blown this)

Overall, I consider it good, especially for the kid who simply doesn't believe in studying in a measured way over the course of several weeks or months (a real fault of his). He studied for each test in the week - or days - before the test.

• Like 6

My kid took BC Calc, Macro, and Micro at the public high school.  He didn't do any studying outside of what was assigned by his teachers.  The math teacher had never taught an AP course before and is a notoriously bad teacher.  We knew he was going to be bad going into the class because my son had had him for precalc the year before.  For example, they only started practicing with actual released exam questions three weeks before the test.  The econ teacher, on the other hand, had them doing exam questions practically from day 1.

So with that disclaimer:

BC Calc: 2 with a subscore of 3 (this actually gets him credit at the college he's most interested in, but he knows that he should take the class over)

Macro and Micro: Both 4s

He will be taking three APs next year, and I think he now knows that doing prep beyond what the class requires is a good idea.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Mbelle said:

I was out having breakfast with a friend and DD sent text  that she got 4 in AP Lang.

Now, HS is really done!

That's how I feel, too. No more high school results left to come. He's done. Mentally he can move on. 

• Like 4

More PAH results.

AP Micro (Burns) - 1/2 year taken after AP Macro

Hi folks,
Congratulations on your outstanding performance on the AP Microeconomics exam! Nearly everyone in your class got a 5. Thanks for all your hard work!

--

Also yes do share the good, bad & ugly. Otherwise one does get the impression everyone on these boards lives on solid 5's and solid 800's for SAT IIs. We thougth so and were in for a rude awakening last year (9th) when my ds pulled 2 3's & 1 4. But now he knows the power of studying, and so were thrilled to have turned the tide so well. ? But please do share! It helps us all.

• Like 8

June SAT & SAT subject tests results are out. DS13’s SAT Chemistry result is still pending

“Congratulations on taking an SAT Subject Test. 

We apologize but your score is still being processed. You should get your score within a week; you'll get an email when your score is available.”

47 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

June SAT & SAT subject tests results are out. DS13’s SAT Chemistry result is still pending

“Congratulations on taking an SAT Subject Test. 

We apologize but your score is still being processed. You should get your score within a week; you'll get an email when your score is available.”

So sorry this happened. This happened to DD with her AP Lang score and it was upsetting, especially since we have no idea when she will get her score. Wonder what is up with college board and all the delayed scores this season. ?

On 7/11/2018 at 8:07 AM, counselinggirl said:

So sorry this happened. This happened to DD with her AP Lang score and it was upsetting, especially since we have no idea when she will get her score. Wonder what is up with college board and all the delayed scores this season. ?

For DS13’s case, he bubbled the second subject test bubble sheet instead of the first by mistake and the proctor was a first timer who did not get enough booklets for the middle school kids. Kind of bizarre because there was only four middle school kids (including my DS13 and DS12) taking the SAT in that room. So they started late and he had to re-bubble his answer booklet when the proctor finally realized he bubbled the wrong page. Since he cleared his AP Chemistry exam, the results for SAT Chemistry is less worrying.

ETA:

DS12 did get 800 for SAT physics subject test. His score report was mailed to us and reached us on July 17th.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skimomma said:

Late to the game as we were traveling.

Dd got a 4 on the AP Latin exam and is elated.  It was her first AP exam and she is on the young side.  

Same here and we had to find the misplaced AP number in order to be verified. First AP exam (and about enough for me), 7th grader, and received a 4. After the interruption by another teacher and frequent tap tap of the door against the frame, I'm glad she got what she was hoping to score. Lukeion is preparing a stats report now. 

Is there need to write to the College Board to keep this score? Or is it archived after 4 years no matter the testing age?

I'm quite certain at this point DD will only take AP classes with exams for subjects she loves like Latin. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Is there need to write to the College Board to keep this score? Or is it archived after 4 years no matter the testing age?

Scores are kept unlike for SAT. You do need to keep the AP number to input in when you create a CollegeBoard account at 13 years old. It does get archived after 4 years regardless of age but it’s more of a gap. So if my DS12 takes an AP exam by 9th grade, his 6th grade score would not be archived even in 12th grade.

Hi, all--in the past few years (I'm not sure how far back, but I don't think more than a few years) when I 've gone to renew my syllabi (which much be renewed yearly), I have had to sign a statement saying I would abide by this. It always causes me a bit of angst--but I have never had any students in my AP classes that are younger than 9th grade. I just wanted to put this out there for you to read in case you have not seen these CB guidelines.

I am **definitely NOT** advocating for "this age" or "that age" being right or being a minimum age to take any AP classes. This is just fyi so that you are aware of what the CB is telling AP teachers about classes that use the AP label. I assume that if I did not sign the agreement to abide by this, my AP syllabi would not be renewed.