Menu

RNY: Surgery Update

SeaConquest

2 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

That’s fantastic!  And each pound off when you’re down at lower weights looks so much more dramatic, doesn’t it?  ?

Totally. These last few pounds make such a difference. I would love to be in the 130s eventually, but I am not sure if that is realistic. I would be thrilled to be 145 by my 1-year surgiversary in mid-January. That is about 14 lbs in 4 months. Not sure if it is doable, but I will try. Weight loss has definitely slowed waaaaay down.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My one year surgiversary (1/17/18-1/17/19) was yesterday, so I figured that I would post an update.

Pounds lost: 67 (217 to 150)
BMI: From 37.2 to 25.7
Inches lost (hips): 9
Inches lost (waist): 10
Inches lost (bust): 8
Inches lost (thighs, each): 6
Inches lost (arms, each): 3
Inches lost (calves, each): 3

12 months later, I am still losing, and all my labs looks perfect. No pain and no complications whatsoever. Most days, I forget that I even had surgery. Thank you all for the tremendous support and encouragement. It made a huge difference knowing that I had so many people cheering me on. I meant to take a pic yesterday, but it was raining, and well, Southern Californians don't do rain. So, a few recent pics instead (these were from our cruise a month ago -- I am down 5 lbs since then):

• Like 18

14 minutes ago, Rachel said:

You are looking great and look so confident. Congratulations!

Thank you, Rachel. I had no idea that I was projecting so much confidence because I am so nervous about nursing school! 🙂

• Like 1

I just watched a speaker who said being a nurse and an attorney was the best possible combination lol! She said that if you called a dr to come see a patient and they knew you were an attorney as well they'd come right up lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/19/2019 at 6:16 AM, school17777 said:

Am I remembering correctly that you are a lawyer?

Yes, I am a lawyer, but have not practiced since I had kids. I have no plans to go back.

I'm certainly not going to nursing school for the money. Even if I make it through 5-6 more years of school to become a nurse practitioner (a big if), I will likely make 20-30k less than I did my first year in legal practice and about 200k less than my last year in practice. So, not really a wise move financially. I keep telling myself that some things are worth more than money. It remains to be seen if this is, but I volunteered in healthcare for two years, so I think it may be. ❤️

• Like 2

On 1/19/2019 at 7:55 AM, TCB said:

I just watched a speaker who said being a nurse and an attorney was the best possible combination lol! She said that if you called a dr to come see a patient and they knew you were an attorney as well they'd come right up lol!

When I volunteered in the hospital, it eventually got out that I was an attorney. Some of the docs and nurses used to crack lawyer jokes with/about me. Everyone was always very kind, but I could tell that they also watched their backs just a little bit more than they did around the other volunteers, or perhaps, I *was* just watching over their backs a little bit more. 🤣

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 12:32 PM, SeaConquest said:

Yes, I am a lawyer, but have not practiced since I had kids. I have no plans to go back.

I'm certainly not going to nursing school for the money. Even if I make it through 5-6 more years of school to become a nurse practitioner (a big if), I will likely make 20-30k less than I did my first year in legal practice and about 200k less than my last year in practice. So, not really a wise move financially. I keep telling myself that some things are worth more than money. It remains to be seen if this is, but I volunteered in healthcare for two years, so I think it may be. ❤️

I have had several friends return to school for nursing after being home with kids for awhile rather than returning to their prekid professional job.

Good luck to you with your school work!

I have only met one former stay at home mom who returned to school to become an attorney after her kids graduated high school.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/23/2019 at 10:05 AM, SeaConquest said:

Into the 140s!!!!! 149 this morning! 🙂

wooohooo!!!!!

I sadly am now out of the 140s..sigh. Between the Kavenaugh hearings and my son's health issues and a back problem that put me on meds that give me the munchies I gained 10 pounds. Up to 155 instead of 145 (sometimes 143). 

But back on the wagon 🙂 It works, if you keep working it. 

Just now, Ktgrok said:

wooohooo!!!!!

I sadly am now out of the 140s..sigh. Between the Kavenaugh hearings and my son's health issues and a back problem that put me on meds that give me the munchies I gained 10 pounds. Up to 155 instead of 145 (sometimes 143). 

But back on the wagon 🙂 It works, if you keep working it. 

It will always be a struggle. I feel you, my friend. I haven't been getting any exercise for months, and now with school, it's not looking good until the kids are in summer camp. Hopefully, I can hit the gym after Memorial Day because I feel that some of his weight loss has been muscle loss. No bueno.