Menu

RNY: Surgery Update

SeaConquest

For whatever reason, since the boards changed over, I cannot find my original surgery post. I did a search in Google, but it is still not showing up.

Anyway, I LOST 40 POUNDS!!!!

Starting weight: 217 (mid-January 2018)

Current weight: 177

And that's with PCOS (read: I am an incredibly slow loser compared to the others in my group). The surgery has been nothing short of life-changing. I still have a ways to go, but wow, I cannot believe that it is actually happening.

• Like 39

3 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’m so glad it helped you!  That’s wonderful and I’m sure you feel AMAZING ?

It's crazy. You would think I would feel enormously different, but I really don't. I still don't really see the weight loss, which I know is normal, but I expected to feel it. The only time I can really tell a difference is when I climb stairs, when the effects of the weight loss are sorta magnified by gravity. It is surprising how adaptive the body is -- both in not feeling weight gain and not feeling the weight loss.

• Like 2

That's great progress! Did you take "before" pictures to see your progress? A lot of people say that's the best way to see your body's changes.

I've been losing weight since Jan 1st, and while *I* can see the difference, my husband and kids can't. I was honestly a little sad, because I've lost 35 and that is a decent loss. I've only told a few local people that I am on WW; I haven't said anything on FB or made any kind of announcement. Then last weekend, I ran into a friend I hadn't seen since December. She did a double-take and asked if I'd lost a bunch of weight.

You wanted to lose 80, right? So you are halfway to your goal! That is fantastic. I hope the second half goes as smoothly.

• Like 6

On 5/2/2018 at 3:28 AM, ondreeuh said:

That's great progress! Did you take "before" pictures to see your progress? A lot of people say that's the best way to see your body's changes.

I've been losing weight since Jan 1st, and while *I* can see the difference, my husband and kids can't. I was honestly a little sad, because I've lost 35 and that is a decent loss. I've only told a few local people that I am on WW; I haven't said anything on FB or made any kind of announcement. Then last weekend, I ran into a friend I hadn't seen since December. She did a double-take and asked if I'd lost a bunch of weight.

You wanted to lose 80, right? So you are halfway to your goal! That is fantastic. I hope the second half goes as smoothly.

Congrats on your weight loss. That is awesome! I did take pics, and have been taking them along the way. I will see if I can post one. I'd like to be 25% body fat, so for me, that's about 135ish. But yes, almost half way!

20180429_104448.jpg

• Like 9

9 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

Congrats on your weight loss. That is awesome! I did take pics, and have been taking them along the way. I will see if I can post one. I'd like to be 25% body fat, so for me, that's about 135ish. But yes, almost half way!

You look amazing! I'm curious how you figured out your weight at your ideal body fat %. Did you do a DEXA scan? There is a place a couple hours away that does them, but I'm intimidated by the language barrier and driving there. I have never been an ideal weight, so I'm going to have to go by how I look. Even at my lightest I was chubby, lol.

• Like 1

Congrats!!!

I had the sleeve done in April 2014.  Due to complications, I converted to the bypass Dec 20, 2017.  I've had a number of issues with mine (wish I had stuck with the complications of the sleeve, sadly). Glad yours is going better. You'll definitely see differences in time; but you'll probably always see less difference than other people will.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Pamela H in Texas said:

Congrats!!!

I had the sleeve done in April 2014.  Due to complications, I converted to the bypass Dec 20, 2017.  I've had a number of issues with mine (wish I had stuck with the complications of the sleeve, sadly). Glad yours is going better. You'll definitely see differences in time; but you'll probably always see less difference than other people will.  

Good to see you Pam!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pamela H in Texas said:

Congrats!!!

Stories like that are why I'm sticking with my prilosec rather than convert to bypass (heartburn, but controlled with medication). I think conversions have issues than straight bypass, so hopefully OP has no issues ?

And there is nothing like the feeling of not being controlled by your weight anymore. Or defined by it. 

8 hours ago, ondreeuh said:

You look amazing! I'm curious how you figured out your weight at your ideal body fat %. Did you do a DEXA scan? There is a place a couple hours away that does them, but I'm intimidated by the language barrier and driving there. I have never been an ideal weight, so I'm going to have to go by how I look. Even at my lightest I was chubby, lol.

I have a body fat scale at home. It isn't a precise measurement, but I can see the trend. I have done the immersion tests before, but haven't in awhile. Right now, I just do calculations using my body fat scale at home. I currently have about 110 lbs of lean body mass, so assuming about 10 lbs of muscle loss, and 25% body fat, that would put me around 135. Ideally, I wouldn't lose 10 lbs of muscle, but it is often difficult to lose substantial weight without at least some muscle loss. I was around 140-145 when I was in the Army, but I worked out quite a bit and likely had more muscle than I do today. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pamela H in Texas said:

Congrats!!!

Knock wood, I have not had any issues with the bypass. But, I am still early days and was relatively healthy with a BMI of 35 going into the surgery. That was one of the reasons I decided not to wait any longer for surgery; the statistics showed that the younger and healthier you are going into it, generally the less complications you are likely to face. It was obvious that I was on the diabetes train (dx PCOS in my 20s, two GDM pregnancies in my 30s, and then flirting with pre-diabetes in my 40s), so it didn't take a rocket scientist to see the trajectory. I had tried everything else (diets, trainers, meds), and I wasn't going to suddenly get better (or less insulin resistant) without surgery. Hopefully, I am off the diabetes train for good now.

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Stories like that are why I'm sticking with my prilosec rather than convert to bypass (heartburn, but controlled with medication). I think conversions have issues than straight bypass, so hopefully OP has no issues ?

And there is nothing like the feeling of not being controlled by your weight anymore. Or defined by it. 

I think, because I haven't always been heavy, I never really let it control or define me. In my mind, I was still the 15 year old cheerleader or the 19 year old paratrooper. I think that was part of my problem actually; I couldn't really see how heavy and unhealthy I was getting. And, I didn't have an eating disorder or an unhealthy relationship with food; just a disordered metabolism. I think that is also why it has gone easier for me. After surgery, a lot of people have a hard time moving away from their comfort, their friend. And I missed wine waaaaay more than I missed food in those first few months. (I still have wine today, just not as much.)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

I think, because I haven't always been heavy, I never really let it control or define me. In my mind, I was still the 15 year old cheerleader or the 19 year old paratrooper. I think that was part of my problem actually; I couldn't really see how heavy and unhealthy I was getting. And, I didn't have an eating disorder or an unhealthy relationship with food; just a disordered metabolism. I think that is also why it has gone easier for me. After surgery, a lot of people have a hard time moving away from their comfort, their friend. And I missed wine waaaaay more than I missed food in those first few months. (I still have wine today, just not as much.)

I bet that does change things. I went to weight watchers the first time at age 14. I've always struggled, and right before surgery it was at the point of defining my life. I remember I was supposed to attend a get together at my parents and my aunt was going to be there, and I was SO stressed and didn't want to go because she hadn't seen me in a while and the weight gain would be more obvious to her. Plus I had nothing to wear. Again. Everywhere I went in the back of my mind I was thinking, "Am I the biggest person in the room?" "Are these people judging my meal choice ?" Etc etc etc. 

Now, I' not skinny, but I'm normal. No one thinks twice about my weight, I'm sure. And that feels great. Also, knowing I can run into a regular store and buy an outfit, and have options other than "whatever is big enough" feels great. Going to the doctor and not dreading the scale feels great. 

And t just keeps getting better ?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone following along, I thought I would update:

I didn't quite make it to my Memorial Day goal to be 170 (3 pounds away), but I am down 44 pounds as of this morning. My kids will be in camp all summer, so I will be working out a ton and hope to be 150 by Labor Day. The big news is that I started back pole dancing yesterday, after not doing it for 10 years. I had forgotten how hard it is in the beginning -- I can barely move my arms today! The other news is that the 4-month hair shedding has begun in earnest, so I had to hack my hair several inches to help with the knotting. Posting two pics: one from when I went pole dancing last night and the other after getting my hair cut today. Slowly, but surely...

33245627_10155668103153261_569619814293700608_o.jpg

33430115_10155669549568261_394059843498934272_o.jpg

• Like 9

I got most of my blood work back from this morning (Kaiser's labs are so fast!), and everything was perfect. I am especially happy that my A1C is still awesome at 5.2 and that I am no longer anemic (which I was pre-surgery)! I think I might still have BUN and Vitamins D and B12 yet to come back, but this is most of everything they monitor in Kaiser's bariatric program. It's a really comprehensive program, which I highly recommend.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Posting my 6 month surgiversary update:

Weight loss has slowed waaaaaay down of late, likely because I have been doing too much boozing it up by the pool. But, I am down 50 lbs since surgery on 1/17 -- from 217 to 167 (at 5'4", my BMI is no longer obese -- just overweight). Still a long way to go, but I am slowly getting there. A few recent pics:

36275988_10155738080768261_3987595771028439040_n.jpg

36691087_10155760408878261_9196232125626449920_n.jpg

37198802_10155780884268261_3024083599780478976_o.jpg

37388629_10155784081683261_921022386206146560_n.jpg

37283770_10155784081633261_6407577454528954368_n.jpg

35930080_10155731792158261_3622873028062347264_o.jpg

• Like 13

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

Awww, you ladies are sweet. I've been having a rough summer, so thank you for the kind words. ❤️

Hang in there - changing routines always makes it hard to stick to developing habits. You're on the right track!

I'm curious if you track your intake? Having everything I eat/drink written down (well, in an app) makes it easier for me to stay the course.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ondreeuh said:

Hang in there - changing routines always makes it hard to stick to developing habits. You're on the right track!

I'm curious if you track your intake? Having everything I eat/drink written down (well, in an app) makes it easier for me to stay the course.

Thanks. I am having a rough summer because I didn't get into the nursing school program that I wanted (for the second time), because my husband opened two new businesses (which are stressing us financially), and because my younger DS has been having behavior problems. My weight loss is actually the only thing going well at the moment. Thankfully.

I actually don't track my intake. I've tried in the past, but I've never stuck with it. It just makes me obsessive, and I'd rather be mindful vs obsessive. But, I know it works well for a lot of people. ?

1 hour ago, marbel said:

You look so great!  And happy too.  ?

And, I LOVE that blue/white tile print dress.  Is it a recent purchase?  Care to share where you acquired it - assuming it's not a boutique brand local to you.  ?

Thank you. I've actually been pretty depressed of late, but I'm glad to know that I am hiding it well in pics. ?

The dress is from Cabana Life. I love their stuff. Since I live in San Diego, we spend a lot of time on the water and in the sun. All of their stuff is SPF 50. I always buy when they have sales, otherwise their stuff is too pricey for me.

https://www.cabanalife.com/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...