Menu

Hysterectomy VS Ablation?

Momto4inSoCal

I was wondering if anyone else had to make the choice between these two. Which one did you choose and why? Also do you regret you decision or wish you had opted for the other option? I'm back and forth but I want to make my decision soon. I'm hoping to get one or the other done early summer. 

I really didn't have a choice but I would ponder the following:

Age - How close to possible menopause? The closer to menopause, the more I would lean toward hysterectomy just to not have to worry about it anymore.

Children - Are you done having children or would like to leave the option open?

Medical History - Is there an indication that a hysterectomy could be good because of familial GYN cancer or endometriosis?

There are several methods for hysterectomies but one difference is between a complete hysterectomy with oophorectomy (ovaries removed) or removal of uterus and leaving ovaries intact.

If you choose to have ovaries removed, you may want to consider the pros and cons of HRT.

Between the two, ablation is so much less invasive physically, plus the recovery time is minimal. While one of my two docs mentioned a hysterectomy, it wasn't on my radar, so I ignored the suggestion. I actively sought someone who used a specific ablation method that I'd read about here on the boards. ?

On the other hand, if I'd had a hysterectomy, I doubt I'd be having prolapse issues, so there's that . . .

One thing to consider is how different orgasms feel after a hysterectomy.  Ablation shouldn't change anything at all, hysterectomy can cause dysfunction in a few different ways. In some cases the risk doesn't matter, if you're only considering to reduce blood flow I'd look into that.

• Thanks 1

I have a good friend who had an ablation, and it's been great for her.   She hasn't even had a period since.  She's pretty sure she still has hormones cycling, as she says she feels moody about once a month, but she's pretty much thrilled.

Familially, her mother and both her (much older) sisters had hysterectomies in their 50's for the same reason she had her ablation; the ablation solved all her problems without major surgery.

24 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I have a good friend who had an ablation, and it's been great for her.   She hasn't even had a period since.  She's pretty sure she still has hormones cycling, as she says she feels moody about once a month, but she's pretty much thrilled.

Familially, her mother and both her (much older) sisters had hysterectomies in their 50's for the same reason she had her ablation; the ablation solved all her problems without major surgery.

This has been my experience, too. The recovery time was around one day and I've never had any problems. 

• Like 1

Since I've had 5 c-sections my doctor would not do a hysterectomy. I was concerned that an ablation wouldn't be enough but it worked very well. It's been about 5 years and I'm sort of mid-menopause (getting my period about half the time) and while I am eager to be DONE, I am glad that it is happening naturally.

I had the out of control bleeding last year... I was 1 year 'menopausal'... Dr said ablation or mirena were typical treatments.

I pushed for an endometrial biopsy-- glad I did as it probably saved my life.  I had early stage uterine cancer.  My hysterectomy was in December and even with strict restrictions it still took 4 full months for me to heal-- still no regrets.

• Like 4

My doctor gave me the choice between an ablation and a mirena.  I'm 48 years old, I didn't want to do hormones again and I don't need birth control because my tubes are tied so I went with the ablation. 

My doctor did an endometrial biopsy before doing my ablation, as well as a detailed ultrasound.  It's been great, no periods at all and only one day of mild cramping after.

• Like 2

It sounds like an ablation is the way to go. I think the reason my doctor was also talking about a partial hysterectomy was due to my families history of ovarian and uterine cancer but were have a genetic factor in my family that causes it and I don't have that gene (they checked) so I'm pretty sure that means my cancer risk is not any higher than a person without any family history if it. 

1 hour ago, Momto4inSoCal said:

It sounds like an ablation is the way to go. I think the reason my doctor was also talking about a partial hysterectomy was due to my families history of ovarian and uterine cancer but were have a genetic factor in my family that causes it and I don't have that gene (they checked) so I'm pretty sure that means my cancer risk is not any higher than a person without any family history if it. 

Have you confirmed that the family members that have cancer have the gene?  I ask because we have a strong history of Breast, Ovarian, and Colon cancer in my family but none of those who have it have a BRCA 1 or 2 mutation. There must be a different gene at play.  It's led a few of my aunts to have preventative surgeries.

13 hours ago, Liz CA said:

I really didn't have a choice but I would ponder the following:

Age - How close to possible menopause? The closer to menopause, the more I would lean toward hysterectomy just to not have to worry about it anymore.

Children - Are you done having children or would like to leave the option open?

Medical History - Is there an indication that a hysterectomy could be good because of familial GYN cancer or endometriosis?

There are several methods for hysterectomies but one difference is between a complete hysterectomy with oophorectomy (ovaries removed) or removal of uterus and leaving ovaries intact.

If you choose to have ovaries removed, you may want to consider the pros and cons of HRT.

FYI--You may know this, but your post was unclear. I just want everyone to know that having more children is NOT an option after either procedure.

• Like 2

I'm done having children so that's not an issue. I'm considering one if these for bleeding reduction. My doctor wants me to go in for a sit down meeting to talk but so far all he's mentioned is a hysterectomy. I assume that's due to my families history with cancer. I have had a few people mention an  ablation so I've started looking into that. 

54 minutes ago, Katy said:

Have you confirmed that the family members that have cancer have the gene?  I ask because we have a strong history of Breast, Ovarian, and Colon cancer in my family but none of those who have it have a BRCA 1 or 2 mutation. There must be a different gene at play.  It's led a few of my aunts to have preventative surgeries.

I've never considered this. Two of my Aunt's who had uterine cancer have not checked for the gene. We've just assumed they had it. Actually the three that have checked were all related to colon cancer but we were told the mutation also causes uterine and ovarian cancer. 

• Like 2

I'm going to be seeing my dr. to be sure I don't have fibroids or some underlying issue causing the bleeding/huge clots.  HOWEVER, I have had success with 2 supplements that have enabled me to put off demanding an ablation.  lol 

I am not peddling these in any way and you should always ask your dr. first.  You cannot take the first one (Slow Flow) if you are on Warfarin or Coumadin because it contains Vitamin K.

Slow Flow by Vitanica (I've found this at local health food stores, yay!): https://www.pureformulas.com/slow-flow-60-capsules-by-vitanica.html

Chaste Tree Berry or Vitex (same thing): https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-milligrams-Vegetarian-Capsules/dp/B000F76ISG/?th=1

I wanted to try as many things as I could before resorting to surgery or even burning/freezing/microwaving my lady bits.  LOL  This may not last, but for about 5 cycles I've had relatively normal periods compared to gushing and clots that kept me home and periods lasting 8 days rather than 12. Not perfect, but doable.  I have been amazed at the number of women who suffer during their periods and wonder how the female human body has gotten to this point.  ? A topic for another day!

Good luck to you.  Sorry if this sort of derailed your thread!

• Like 1

I had the ablation and regretted not going straight to hysterectomy.  My symptoms worsened soon after the ablation to the point where BC couldn't even shut off the flow.  I felt so much better after the hysterectomy that I wished I'd done it about two years sooner.  

I am another who was offered an ablation or mirena IUD. I chose mirena and I am very happy with it. (I did first have a uterine biopsy and sonogram to check for fibroids.) I did have a light period recently (while I was in France, dammit) but even so, I’m talking like a pantyliner per day, though this lasted for a bit over a week. 

I was supposed to have an ablation in March  but the doctor couldn't do it because my uterus is enlarged and the ablation couldn't be done.  I am having a hysterectomy this summer and don't regret making the decision for a minute.  I can't wait to reclaim my life.  I know everything won't be all sunshine and roses but it can't be worse than this half-life I have been living for the past year.  I want to open a bottle of champagne and celebrate. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jyhwkmama said:

FYI--You may know this, but your post was unclear. I just want everyone to know that having more children is NOT an option after either procedure.

Sorry - posted too late to be clear. I don't know all the details reg OP's condition but what I meant is if she is still thinking of having more children, sometimes other options are available. I wish I had known that you can shrink fibroids and that they are not necessarily have to be excised.

6 hours ago, Momto4inSoCal said:

I'm done having children so that's not an issue. I'm considering one if these for bleeding reduction. My doctor wants me to go in for a sit down meeting to talk but so far all he's mentioned is a hysterectomy. I assume that's due to my families history with cancer. I have had a few people mention an  ablation so I've started looking into that. 

I've never considered this. Two of my Aunt's who had uterine cancer have not checked for the gene. We've just assumed they had it. Actually the three that have checked were all related to colon cancer but we were told the mutation also causes uterine and ovarian cancer. 

Okay, there is more info. In your case I would probably lean toward hysterectomy but it is a very individual decision. I happen to fall into the camp of posters here who wished they had done something sooner.

12 hours ago, Pippen said:

I had the ablation and regretted not going straight to hysterectomy.  My symptoms worsened soon after the ablation to the point where BC couldn't even shut off the flow.  I felt so much better after the hysterectomy that I wished I'd done it about two years sooner.  

This was my friend’s experience exactly. 

On 5/1/2018 at 7:37 AM, Liza Q said:

Since I've had 5 c-sections my doctor would not do a hysterectomy. I was concerned that an ablation wouldn't be enough but it worked very well. It's been about 5 years and I'm sort of mid-menopause (getting my period about half the time) and while I am eager to be DONE, I am glad that it is happening naturally.

I'm glad you posted this. I had no idea this would be a factor. I've put off an ablation for years because I wasn't sure if we were done having children. Now I'm sure, and am trying to decide between ablation and hysterectomy. I'm currently on birth control but it's making me difficult to live with ? I'm in my forties and had several c-sections. I need to look into this more deeply.

4 years ago I had a 1#  fibroid that interfered with the draining of my kidney and the other fibroids with it caused crazy heavy bleeding. One fibroid was in my cervix.  I had a choice between an ablation, a hysterectomy (uterus and cervix only) and just having the fibroids removed. I was 41.  I chose the hysterectomy because:

1.  I was long past having biological babies.
2. Ablations interfere with being able to see uterine cancer until it's at stage 3 or 4.
3. Ablations can cause painful bleeding into the muscle for some people.  I know someone who dealt with that.
4. Fibroids can come back later and I wanted it all done.
5. I didn't need my uterus for anything anymore, why have even a tiny chance of cancer in it some day?
6. No more periods has been heaven!

I had the vaginal/laproscopic hysterectomy while understanding that it could've been abdominal if there had been scarring issues from my c-section making the laproscopic hysterectomy too tricky.  It wasn't a problem.  I've been thrilled with the results and wish those nasty buggers had gotten big earlier so I could've been period free longer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, littlebug42 said:

I was supposed to have an ablation in March  but the doctor couldn't do it because my uterus is enlarged and the ablation couldn't be done.  I am having a hysterectomy this summer and don't regret making the decision for a minute.  I can't wait to reclaim my life.  I know everything won't be all sunshine and roses but it can't be worse than this half-life I have been living for the past year.  I want to open a bottle of champagne and celebrate. 

This is what I’m doing too. After years of heavy flow, IF, and now a prolapse and multiple large fibroids, I’m D.O.N.E. I can’t get the surgery scheduled fast enough.

On 5/1/2018 at 4:38 PM, Momto4inSoCal said:

My ablation was done with the intent to stop my several years of horrible, uncontrollable, clotted bleeding and the resulting anemia. My doc asked if I would be happy if my body went back to the way it was before (meaning heavy periods). YES, that would have been amazing!

But it's been 10 years since my ablation, and I've had zero periods since (and now probably am in menopause, but who can tell?!). It was life changing, truly gave me my life back. I'd risk the less invasive ablation for now and if that somehow was not successful, then would consider a hysterectomy.