Menu

New update: Trying to wrap my head around this (Non-faith based vs Faith based events)

TeenagerMom

Please don't quote because I may delete later for privacy purposes.

I belong to an inclusive, non-faith based homeschool group.  We were contacted a couple of months ago by a local (county owned) facility that decided to host a homeschool day next month.  We were given all the information, fees, etc and invited to come and I also offered to help disseminate the information to other less well known groups.  The management that I spoke to was very congenial and excited about offering this event.  Last month, I received an email with a flyer for the event and a premade sign up sheet with a deadline to turn into the management of the facility. We decided as a group to go and our members have signed up and started paying the associated fees.

I have been contacted by the leader of one of the area's faith based groups and informed that this event is a private event for Christian homeschool families only, that there is a dress code, and that if they aren't signed up on HER list, they won't be allowed entry into the facility.  I replied that we, as well as multiple other groups, were invited by the facility to this event and I was told the facility would be contacting me to fix their error because this person had made multiple errors since booking the party.  There were some other things said like pointing out that we have same-sex and non-Christian families in our group.  I stopped engaging with her after that and she messaged me to ask me to call her, but I have chosen not to and to deal with the facility directly.

This facility does book private parties, but those are usually held after normal operating hours in increments of 2 hours.  The only time I am aware of that the facility shuts down or opens preseason are for corporate events and fundraisers.  This event is a preseason all day event and the flyer they sent out says nothing about a dress code, Christian event, or anything indicating that this is a private event of any kind (because why would there marketing director be sending out info for a private event?).

Is is SO bad that we aren't a faith based group that we should be excluded from a fun day at a public facility offering a substantial discount to homeschool families?  I honestly can't wrap my head around it being so bad because someone might be gay, Athiest, Jewish, Mormon (this particular person doesn't believe LDS are Christians) that we must be excluded and their children can't be at a homeschool event with us.

I'm currently waiting on a callback from the facility to help resolve this, but in the meantime, does anyone have any sage advice on how I can handle this gracefully if we ARE uninvited and how in the world do I tell my group?  I absolutely won't hold it against the facility if this other homeschool leader is taking it upon herself to decide all of these rules outside of their agreement OR if she actually has signed a private contract so they HAVE to uninvite us.  I really don't think this is their fault.

• Sad 3

If you are uninvited, I would simply spread the word to your contacts (and have them spread it to theirs) the same way you did here. I might also include the contact information for the event organizer so they can have questions answered by her directly. What you've written here doesn't seem at all snarky or off to me (on your behalf, not theirs). If it's a private, contracted event so be it. Hopefully they can confirm for you soon.

On a side note: You're fortunate to have a group of wonderful people for whom you could probably organize a similar event that's ALL inclusive. I'd probably write one final missive to the mean group lady to thank them for the great idea (and cross my fingers that cooties really do exist so they can catch them all).

• Like 7

You know that it isn't bad for you to be a non faith based group.  So your question seems to be more of a jab against that lady and her group, than an honest question.

You also know that dealing with the facility directly is the way to go.  Hopefully the facility coordinator will work this out fairly and will tell the faith based group to do a private event separate from this one. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

You know that it isn't bad for you to be a non faith based group.  So your question seems to be more of a jab against that lady and her group, than an honest question.

You also know that dealing with the facility directly is the way to go.  Hopefully the facility coordinator will work this out fairly and will tell the faith based group to do a private event separate from this one. 

I didn't really intend it as a jab.  I really don't understand the perspective that she is coming from.  I am a Christian as are a good portion of our members, we just don't have a Statement of Faith, Mission involving religion, etc.  About 10-15% of our members are also members of her group.  All of our events are held at a church.  That's really where I just can't understand where the disconnect is that makes us unacceptable or acceptable.

• Like 3

Just now, TeenagerMom said:

I didn't really intend it as a jab.  I really don't understand the perspective that she is coming from.  I am a Christian as are a good portion of our members, we just don't have a Statement of Faith, Mission involving religion, etc.  About 10-15% of our members are also members of her group.  All of our events are held at a church.  That's really where I just can't understand where the disconnect is that makes us unacceptable or acceptable.

Well, I don't understand it personally since that is not what Jesus is all about.  But I do understand that her perspective is what you get when legalism has taken over.  So what she thinks is holiness is actually sin. 

I really do hope that the facility doesn't become turned off to homeschoolers and that you can have a nice homeschool day that is open to all homeschoolers. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, texasmom33 said:

It sounds like there was a massive communication mix up between the private homeschool group and the coordinator for the county facility. If the private group is who is paying to rent the facility or deposit, or however it works in your area, then it is their prerogative who they include.

In this case, I think she (the other group leader)  could have handled the mix up a bit more gracefully, but that's neither here nor there as there is nothing you can do about her behavior. It is what it is, and it's her's to answer for, so if I were you, I would succinctly put an email together for your group simply saying there was a mix up and your group was not invited, and then ask for volunteers to possibly coordinate another all-inclusive meeting yourselves,  if that's something you really want to do. I wouldn't go into the whats, whys and wherefores, as, honestly, it's moot and won't do anything more than hurt feelings and fan divisiveness. As a Christian, personally, I wouldn't go there. She isn't in your group or your church, and without any sort of relationship with her, it's honestly not your role to sort her, or her group's, beliefs out. Although it might make you feel better in the short term to air all of the laundry out and "call her out" on a code you don't agree with, what good do you really feel would come from that? That's what I would be asking myself, from a Christian perspective. I think your time and energy would be better spent organizing your own meeting where you CAN include everyone you want and show your true heart, as well as that of your group. That will speak louder than any other action. 

Definitely a massive miscommunication. I do know other Christian groups are attending also because the facility was telling me who she had given them information to contact to invite and which groups she said probably wouldn't attend (she didn't even personally invite another group that her family are members of).   I don't think they paid a deposit to the facility for other than their pavilion rental because when I asked if we could pre-pay for our members, it was a very welcome idea and mentioned that the other group declined to do that and pay at entry per family. 

Thank you so much for your second paragraph.  That is exactly what I needed to hear/read.  I really WOULD love to just put her on blast so people can see the kind of prevailing attitude there is towards our group but I know it probably wouldn't be productive.

• Like 4

My first thought is that it may actually be an inclusive event for all homeschoolers, but this woman is trying to make it exclusive so she only has to associate with her kind (whatever that is). Maybe she's the one who called the facility and asked them to have an event for homeschoolers and the facility decided to do it with the idea that they would open it to all homeschoolers. I  wouldn't engage with the woman from the other group at all and clarify whether the event is a private event or whether the facility decided to make it a public event for all homeschoolers. If it's open to all, go and enjoy. If there was an error, just send an email to your members telling them there was a mistake and your group won't be able to attend.

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, SJ. said:

You mention services offered at a discount. Is this a public event? Something like homeschool day at the local nature center or aquarium? If so, I would contact the venue and ask for clarification.

Yes it is a local publicly owned facility.  The way that I was approached by the facility was that they are holding an event on a day they aren't normally open for homeschool groups to attend at a greatly discounted rate (like 1/3 the normal cost) to allow some of the families that wouldn't otherwise be able to afford to go the opportunity to attend.

• Like 1

Sounds like someone got their wires crossed.

Ultimately, if a group wants to arrange for an event for a particular group, they can, be it faith based only, or fans of X only, or whatever.

I do wonder if the woman who contacted you knows what she is talking about - did her group initiate the event?  I ca't tell where the communication broke down, but it sounds like you need to communicate with the facility and her and figure it out.

I mean, what are we talking about? A library, a rec center? A religious homeschool group cannot rent out a public place and then use it to further their own discriminatory policies. Nope. I would go to the director of the facility, if it were me.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

How can a publicly-owned facility even be used to discriminate against protected classes of people? This sounds illegal to me.

If they have a contract for a private rental, they can definitely pick and choose who they invite.  That will be the key, is if she signed a contract and paid a deposit for the facility usage, but I really suspect that she hasn't.

• Like 3

I don't agree with you that a private organization can use a public space and then say no black people or disabled people allowed. I don't think a government organization is allowed to enter into a contract that would discriminate against protected classes. And religion is certainly a protected class, and, depending on the state, sexual orientation as well.  

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

Sounds like someone got their wires crossed.

Ultimately, if a group wants to arrange for an event for a particular group, they can, be it faith based only, or fans of X only, or whatever.

I do wonder if the woman who contacted you knows what she is talking about - did her group initiate the event?  I ca't tell where the communication broke down, but it sounds like you need to communicate with the facility and her and figure it out.

I do believe she did approach the facility about having a homeschool day.  I suspect she initiated the idea, gave the marketing/sales director the contact info of a couple of other groups, and the marketing director ran with the idea of having a large event for homeschoolers.  If the other group had actually reserved the facility for the day, the pavilion rental would have been included in the cost instead of the additional fee that was quoted to me.  It was offered to us for rental at a time before/after them for a small fee.

It's small details like that which don't add up to this being a private event specifically for their group and the people they invite where she signed a contract and paid a big deposit, etc.

• Like 4

when  talking to the facility - first off, I would want to find out exactly who/which-homeschool-organization this sponsoring this event.    if it were a private event - I can't imagine the facility would have been contacting anyone to be part of it.

someone booked the facility for this - so I would want to know whom.

• Like 2

Just now, TeenagerMom said:

I do believe she did approach the facility about having a homeschool day.  I suspect she initiated the idea, gave the marketing/sales director the contact info of a couple of other groups, and the marketing director ran with the idea of having a large event for homeschoolers.  If the other group had actually reserved the park for the day, the pavilion rental would have been included in the cost instead of the additional fee that was quoted to me.  It was offered to us for rental at a time before/after them for a small fee.

It's small details like that which don't add up to this being a private event specifically for their group and the people they invite where she signed a contract and paid a big deposit, etc.

Yes, that is what I am wondering too.  So, her idea, but really their event.

I can see why she might actually be confused though, if that is what happened.

I'd talk to them and ask specifically. If that is the idea, I'd try and be gracious to the mom whose idea it was.  There may be some good reason she was envisioning a specific group of people.

2 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

when  talking to the facility - first off, I would want to find out exactly who/which-homeschool-organization this sponsoring this event.    if it were a private event - I can't imagine the facility would have been contacting anyone to be part of it.

someone booked the facility for this - so I would want to know whom.

The flyer that was sent out doesn't name a sponsor other than the facility.  It has no name of any other organization on it.  I am waiting on the facility to return my phone call.  The lady handling all of this is off work today but they said she may go ahead and contact me.

I would check back with the facility, and I would be very explicit with my questions. If the other woman is incorrect in her information or trying to host someone else's event by her own rules, I would ignore her, and my group would happily attend the event! At least in my area, a lot of mainstream people have no idea about homeschool politics and cliques - I think it's possible the facility organizer is not behind the exclusion nor even aware of it.

If there's been a coup and you're out, for real, after having been invited, then there us no reason to be silent about the snub. The owner of the facility should hear from you and refunds given, at the least, and the people in your group should be told the truth. No reason to be nasty or get into some kind of flame war on social media or anything, but I wouldn't help people act like that by taking it quietly.

• Like 21

1 minute ago, Bluegoat said:

Yes, that is what I am wondering too.  So, her idea, but really their event.

I can see why she might actually be confused though, if that is what happened.

I'd talk to them and ask specifically. If that is the idea, I'd try and be gracious to the mom whose idea it was.  There may be some good reason she was envisioning a specific group of people.

I will try to be gracious regardless of what happens.  It's very hard to, knowing this woman, and her ugliness when I pointed out that a majority of our members are Christians, she made sure to point out that we have homosexuals in our group.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

If it is indeed the event of the discriminatory group, I would contact the director of the facility and make her aware that the government is renting a public facility to a group that is illegally discriminating against people who belong to a protected class. If the facility ignored me, I would contact the ACLU. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

I don't agree with you that a private organization can use a public space and then say no black people or disabled people allowed. I don't think a government organization is allowed to enter into a contract that would discriminate against protected classes. And religion is certainly a protected class, and, depending on the state, sexual orientation as well.  

I think that protected classes are a pretty blunt instrument.

There are public facilities of all kinds that rent or hold events for specific groups of people, and I would not really want that to discontinue.  The JWs have a giant yearly meeting in a public stadium here, and you need to be JW to attend.  There is a place with a woman only swim, or women only courses  for other things.  There are meetings for people of African descent, or Jewish descent, or even Scottish descent.  Those tend to be along lines of race, though not necessarily, but there are  even some only for people who are black.  

It's doing no one no good to make it so these people cannot use public facilities for their meetings and such.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, TeenagerMom said:

I will try to be gracious regardless of what happens.  It's very hard to, knowing this woman, and her ugliness when I pointed out that a majority of our members are Christians, she made sure to point out that we have homosexuals in our group.

How grotesque. What state is this?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

I think that protected classes are a pretty blunt instrument.

There are public facilities of all kinds that rent or hold events for specific groups of people, and I would not really want that to discontinue.  The JWs have a giant yearly meeting in a public stadium here, and you need to be JW to attend.  There is a place with a woman only swim, or women only courses  for other things.  There are meetings for people of African descent, or Jewish descent, or even Scottish descent.  Those tend to be along lines of race, though not necessarily, but there are  even some only for people who are black.  

It's doing no one no good to make it so these people cannot use public facilities for their meetings and such.

Really? What's doing no one good is allowing a bunch of religious bigots to bar taxpayers from using county facilities that said taxpayers help to fund. It is disgusting and I would fight it.

• Like 6

I would rather not say.  I will just say that we are in the South.

We just talked about (in another thread) the posts that make us feel completely alienated from other boardies and their experiences. This is one of them. I cannot imagine living in that kind of divisive environment. 

• Like 4

Hosting a private party that might cause an outsider to observe that, "Hey, they only let white people in here today," when the group is either the MacDougall family reunion or the not racially integrated church's potluck. People have opinions but you can't nail down actual discrimination, even for the all white church.

It's a hugely other thing to invite people, and then uninvite them when you find out that they're gay or a different religion. And you tell them that's why they can't come, you don't even have the so called southern charm to invent some unimpeachable scenario...that IS discrimination, and shouldn't happen at a public venue.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, TeenagerMom said:

have you dealt much with those who do have statements of faith? very narrow focus and only want to be around people just like them.

26 minutes ago, TeenagerMom said:

Yes it is a local publicly owned facility.  The way that I was approached by the facility was that they are holding an event on a day they aren't normally open for homeschool groups to attend at a greatly discounted rate (like 1/3 the normal cost) to allow some of the families that wouldn't otherwise be able to afford to go the opportunity to attend.

this is going to be the big question.  did she pay a deposit and sign a contract to reserve it for "just" her preferred groups?  (which I seriously doubt as those deposits are usually fairly hefty)  if she didn't - she's not sponsoring it, the facility is, even if she gave them the idea.

23 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

How can a publicly-owned facility even be used to discriminate against protected classes of people? This sounds illegal to me.

private parties pay to rent facilities all the time.   they handle their own invitations.

14 minutes ago, TeenagerMom said:

9 minutes ago, TeenagerMom said:

I do believe she did approach the facility about having a homeschool day.  I suspect she initiated the idea, gave the marketing/sales director the contact info of a couple of other groups, and the marketing director ran with the idea of having a large event for homeschoolers.  If the other group had actually reserved the park for the day, the pavilion rental would have been included in the cost instead of the additional fee that was quoted to me.  It was offered to us for rental at a time before/after them for a small fee.

massive communication problem.   you don't even know if she's the one who gave the facility the idea.   I can't imagine a facility hosting a private party without charging fees with a contract to make it exclusive.  (they still have to pay their employees - they need to make enough money to pay them.)  given her charming personality, I'm sure if she'd paid fees - she'd have boasted about how much she paid for it to be only for her group.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tibbie Dunbar said:

Hosting a private party that might cause an outsider to observe that, "Hey, they only let white people in here today," when the group is either the MacDougall family reunion or the not racially integrated church's potluck. People have opinions but you can't nail down actual discrimination, even for the all white church.

It's a hugely other thing to invite people, and then uninvite them when you find out that they're gay or a different religion. And you tell them that's why they can't come, you don't even have the so called southern charm to invent some unimpeachable scenario...that IS discrimination, and shouldn't happen at a public venue.

Precisely this. I hope she had the audacity to write it down in an email too, as I would forward a copy to the director of the facility (and probably cc the city/county attorney so they are aware of what is happening). Do not tolerate this. Seriously. Resist.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, TeenagerMom said:

The flyer that was sent out doesn't name a sponsor other than the facility.  It has no name of any other organization on it.  I am waiting on the facility to return my phone call.  The lady handling all of this is off work today but they said she may go ahead and contact me.

another reason why I doubt she paid $$ and signed a contract to make this an exclusive event.   (and in which case SHE would have been responsible to invite those she wanted.)

it's always a pain when something like this happens and the person is off . . . when is this even scheduled?

• Like 1

As others have said, the group that organized the event has the right to decide who can be invited. It is not discrimination. This situation is truly a mess, and I'm so bummed for you. :-( Maybe the person at the venue will feel bad enough that she will work with you to schedule a similar event that will be open to all homeschoolers.

As a Christian who could probably sign any support group's statement of faith, I would not belong to a support group that required its members to sign one, nor would I belong to a group that had stated dress codes and whatnot. I believe that people should be able to associate with whoever they want to associate with, but I think it's possible to form a support group and name it and whatnot without requiring people to sign a statement of faith. I have seen so much hurt and anger over this particular requirement that I just don't think the upside outweighs the downside.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

Really? What's doing no one good is allowing a bunch of religious bigots to bar taxpayers from using county facilities that said taxpayers help to fund. It is disgusting and I would fight it.

Facilities like this generally have a mandate to make their facilities available to all kinds of groups. It isn't like they are only letting certain people book the facilities. It sounds like this group also has fully open events, and allows bookings for other days.  I don't mind being excluded from the AA meeting or the atheists' society meeting, or the birthday party for someone I don't know.  It's really not up to me to say people can''t meet on any basis.

By your measurement, you'd not have the women-only swim, the faith group meeting, or the black educators group either.  That seems like a net loss, not a gain.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Tibbie Dunbar said:

It sounds though that it is more that they were invited mistakenly, though, not that they were meant to be invited according to the intentions of the person whose idea it was.

12 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

another reason why I doubt she paid $$ and signed a contract to make this an exclusive event.   (and in which case SHE would have been responsible to invite those she wanted.)

it's always a pain when something like this happens and the person is off . . . when is this even scheduled?

It's in a few weeks.  The inviting thing is what I am thinking.  SHE would have been responsible for contacting the other groups she was invited as well as collecting any fees associated if she had "the list" of who was going to be allowed in, not the groups paying the facility directly

6 minutes ago, Tibbie Dunbar said:

I'm not going to quote the OP but I just want to mention again that you all have paid fees already! To whom did the money go, and who will be paying it back? Were checks and credit card payments made to the facility?

We haven't turned in our money yet.  The group members have just paid me, thankfully.

6 minutes ago, Ellie said:

As others have said, the group that organized the event has the right to decide who can be invited. It is not discrimination. This situation is truly a mess, and I'm so bummed for you. ? Maybe the person at the venue will feel bad enough that she will work with you to schedule a similar event that will be open to all homeschoolers.

As a Christian who could probably sign any support group's statement of faith, I would not belong to a support group that required its members to sign one, nor would I belong to a group that had stated dress codes and whatnot. I believe that people should be able to associate with whoever they want to associate with, but I think it's possible to form a support group and name it and whatnot without requiring people to sign a statement of faith. I have seen so much hurt and anger over this particular requirement that I just don't think the upside outweighs the downside.

I'm not sure she is actually the "organizer" though.  The venue has done all of the legwork involved in publicizing, contacting groups, collecting the lists of attendees and fees.

• Like 6

From your subsequent posts it sounds like the facility is running the show. Even if the other woman encouraged them to have a homeschool day it appears to be a public activity. If that's the case she has absolutely no right to decide who can and can't come. 

As for what the public facility can allow in terms of discrimination, I'm not sure. I do know that when I tried to get a library room for our Campfire USA meetings they said I could only reserve it if it was open to the public. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Tibbie Dunbar said:

I'm not going to quote the OP but I just want to mention again that you all have paid fees already! To whom did the money go, and who will be paying it back? Were checks and credit card payments made to the facility?

for a truly closed private event - the "sponsor" would have paid the facility, and the payments would go to the "sponsor".    it sounds like she may want to have her cake and eat it too. an exclusive event where she only has to pay her admission fee.

but the facility isn't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts - they have expenses they need to recoup.   so, unless the "it's my party" girl pays the facility to have her own party - it's not her own party.

• Like 8

It's in a few weeks.  The inviting thing is what I am thinking.  SHE would have been responsible for contacting the other groups she was invited as well as collecting any fees associated if she had "the list" of who was going to be allowed in, not the groups paying the facility directly

We haven't turned in our money yet.  The group members have just paid me, thankfully.

I'm not sure she is actually the "organizer" though.  The venue has done all of the legwork involved in publicizing, contacting groups, collecting the lists of attendees and fees.

If she is not the actual “organizer” I’m not sure why you give a flip what she says. If she contacts you again, tell her to bugger off. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

I mean, what are we talking about? A library, a rec center? A religious homeschool group cannot rent out a public place and then use it to further their own discriminatory policies. Nope. I would go to the director of the facility, if it were me.

So, you are saying that my local city pool shouldn't have been rented to the local Muslim group so that the women could swim with their children in privacy? They weren't within their rights? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

Facilities like this generally have a mandate to make their facilities available to all kinds of groups. It isn't like they are only letting certain people book the facilities. It sounds like this group also has fully open events, and allows bookings for other days.  I don't mind being excluded from the AA meeting or the atheists' society meeting, or the birthday party for someone I don't know.  It's really not up to me to say people can''t meet on any basis.

By your measurement, you'd not have the women-only swim, the faith group meeting, or the black educators group either.  That seems like a net loss, not a gain.

Like I said, I would shocked if the facility does not have an anti-discrimination clause in its rental agreement. They are pretty standard. I have no problem with people of faith meeting at a public facility. I have a problem with people of faith using a public facility to explicitly discriminate against protected classes, and I doubt it is legal in the OP's state. That is why I asked her state. I was going to look up what her state laws are, instead of speculating.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

From your subsequent posts it sounds like the facility is running the show. Even if the other woman encouraged them to have a homeschool day it appears to be a public activity. If that's the case she has absolutely no right to decided who can and can't come. 

As for what the public facility can allow in terms of discrimination, I'm not sure. I do know that when I tried to get a library room for our Campfire USA meetings they said I could only reserve it if it was open to the public. 

Our library has the same policy that we had to sign to get a room for our board meetings.  Not that anyone would want to attend a homeschool group board meeting.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SeaConquest said:

Like I said, I would shocked if the facility does not have an anti-discrimination clause in its rental agreement. They are pretty standard. I have no problem with people of faith meeting at a public facility. I have a problem with people of faith using a public facility to explicitly discriminate against protected classes, and I doubt it is legal in the OP's state. That is why I asked her state. I was going to look up what her state laws are, instead of speculating.

Don't those anti-discrimination policies generally apply to the facility. As in, the facility can't discriminate? By your logic, the white supremacists would not be able to reserve public parks for their rallies. Apparently, they can, despite their disgusting, discriminatory beliefs.

6 minutes ago, TeenagerMom said:

that the venue has done all the legwork leads me to believe party girl will be crying at her party.

2 minutes ago, MFG said:

If she is not the actual “organizer” I’m not sure why you give a flip what she says. If she contacts you again, tell her to bugger off. 

sounds like that's the question (who is the organizer/sponsor) for which the OP is attempting to get clarification.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

40 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

Publicly owned facilities rent to religious organizations for private functions all the time. It's common practice. It is because religious groups are a protected class, as you say, that this is allowed. Here, it is not uncommon for churches to rent space in public schools on the weekends. Additionally, religious organizations can rent park and rec facilities or any other publicly owned facility for a private or public event. This was settled in the court system long ago. If you rent space, you cannot discriminate on the basis of religion.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, scholastica said:

So, you are saying that my local city pool shouldn't have been rented to the local Muslim group so that the women could swim with their children in privacy? They weren't within their rights? 

The swimming pool issue is one of balancing rights of two different groups in the context of furthering public policy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/01/opinion/everybody-into-the-pool.html

No compelling public policy is furthered by allowing religious bigots to exclude atheists and gays from their fragile homeschooling environments.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TechWife said:

Publicly owned facilities rent to religious organizations for private functions all the time. It's common practice. It is because religious groups are a protected class, as you say, that this is allowed. Here, it is not uncommon for churches to rent space in public schools on the weekends. Additionally, religious organizations can rent park and rec facilities or any other publicly owned facility for a private or public event. This was settled in the court system long ago. If you rent space, you cannot discriminate on the basis of religion.

This is not in dispute. The question is whether the religious group can then go on to use the public space in a way to prohibits other people from using the space, on the basis of a protected class.