Menu

What's with the ads?

Robin M

Book a Week 2018 - BW18: May Cruise the Fjords

17 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

I already love your pastor. Yes, let’s have more Hardy reading this year. There are several unread ones waiting on my shelf. Any plans for your next Hardy?

My husband and I were talking about it; he said he remembers some comments about Hardy fitting his dour British personality.

Right now I want to read them all. I might ask the P tomorrow for his personal favorite.  I think I remember that it's Jude the Obscure. What do you think?

Googling around a bit, I came across  this list of Hardy novels - link to The Culture Trip, about which I know nothing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, marbel said:

My husband and I were talking about it; he said he remembers some comments about Hardy fitting his dour British personality.

Right now I want to read them all. I might ask the P tomorrow for his personal favorite.  I think I remember that it's Jude the Obscure. What do you think?

Googling around a bit, I came across  this list of Hardy novels - link to The Culture Trip, about which I know nothing. 

I am starting to feel like I might want to join in.  I will admit that I believe my Hardy knowledge is confined to Return of the Native decades ago!  I will definitely be listening to mine as I think I am going to try and finish my quilt for a show this September.   It had been my planned 2019 entry.........

• Like 3

A free book available to download (today only) ~

The War in the Air by H. G. Wells

"Modern warfare takes to the skies in this novel by a master of science fiction and fantasy. In 1907, young Bert Smallways, a brilliant mechanist and accidental aeronaut, finds himself a reluctant stowaway upon the very same airship that will begin the Great War. Soon, Smallways is swept away aboard the Vaterland, the flagship piloted by a belligerent German prince, whose mastery of technology heralds a new age of war that takes to the sky. Filled with petrol-powered war machines, ironclads, bombardments, and espionage, The War in the Air prophesied methods of warfare that would only develop later in the twentieth century. A cornerstone of early science fiction, this exciting tale is H. G. Wells at his best."

Go here.

Currently free to Kindle readers ~

The Tithe  by Elle Hill 

Call Off The Search (The Comyenti Series Book 1)  by Natasja Hellenthal

"A gripping psychological drama ... the realistic struggle of one woman stuck between two worlds." Kirkus Reviews

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JennW in SoCal said:

I could easily be persuaded to listen to Alan Rickman reading Return of the Native. 

I don’t think I could re-read RotN soon, as I taught it to Middle Girl and two of her friends last year, and squeezed every last bit of AP-prep juiciness out of it.

I love Jude the Obscure, but have read it twice.

What about Mayor of Casterbridge?

Or, in the true BaW spirit, everyone could read her own Hardy, and we’ll meet on the windswept moor to discuss them.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JennW in SoCal said:

I could easily be persuaded to listen to Alan Rickman reading Return of the Native. 

57 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

I don’t think I could re-read RotN soon, as I taught it to Middle Girl and two of her friends last year, and squeezed every last bit of AP-prep juiciness out of it.

Or, in the true BaW spirit, everyone could read her own Hardy, and we’ll meet on the windswept moor to discuss them.

I appear to have 6 Thomas Hardy books available on Overdrive to listen to but none with Alan Rickman as narrator!  Several with Simon Vance who I have been happy with in the past.  One of the Hardy choices is Under a Greenwood Tree which (blush) is unfamiliar........

I am willing to listen to any of them but give me a few days to get organized.

Btw,  I am reading the last of the Day of the Triffids as I type.  I have really enjoyed it and have read most of it today in between birthday festivities.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Mayor of Casterbridge looks really good, too. And meeting up on the windswept moor to compare notes sounds great! But I'm such a pokey reader at the moment, I hate to commit to anything! 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I appear to have 6 Thomas Hardy books available on Overdrive to listen to but none with Alan Rickman as narrator!  Several with Simon Vance who I have been happy with in the past.  One of the Hardy choices is Under a Greenwood Tree which (blush) is unfamiliar........

I am willing to listen to any of them but give me a few days to get organized.

I have 700 pages left of my Hampshire book, so a few days would be fine. Maybe even more than a few.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

Mayor of Casterbridge looks really good, too. And meeting up on the windswept moor to compare notes sounds great! But I'm such a pokey reader at the moment, I hate to commit to anything! 

Totally understood. Nothing kills my desire to read like promising to read. 

• Like 4

I read the Mayor of Castorbridge and Far from the Madding Crowd in translation. I liked them both. I will take a hunt to see if I can find more translations of Hardy...

• Like 3

10 hours ago, loesje22000 said:

I read the Mayor of Castorbridge and Far from the Madding Crowd in translation. I liked them both. I will take a hunt to see if I can find more translations of Hardy...

Mmm so far no good.

Tess of d’Ubervilles seems to have been translated once, but the one I found is about 50 euro! ?‍♀️

Back to my sick dd

• Like 2