Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW18: May Cruise the Fjords

Robin M

52 minutes ago, JennW in SoCal said:

I could easily be persuaded to listen to Alan Rickman reading Return of the Native. 

I don’t think I could re-read RotN soon, as I taught it to Middle Girl and two of her friends last year, and squeezed every last bit of AP-prep juiciness out of it.

I love Jude the Obscure, but have read it twice.

What about Mayor of Casterbridge?

Or, in the true BaW spirit, everyone could read her own Hardy, and we’ll meet on the windswept moor to discuss them.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JennW in SoCal said:

I could easily be persuaded to listen to Alan Rickman reading Return of the Native. 

57 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

I don’t think I could re-read RotN soon, as I taught it to Middle Girl and two of her friends last year, and squeezed every last bit of AP-prep juiciness out of it.

Or, in the true BaW spirit, everyone could read her own Hardy, and we’ll meet on the windswept moor to discuss them.

I appear to have 6 Thomas Hardy books available on Overdrive to listen to but none with Alan Rickman as narrator!  Several with Simon Vance who I have been happy with in the past.  One of the Hardy choices is Under a Greenwood Tree which (blush) is unfamiliar........

I am willing to listen to any of them but give me a few days to get organized.

Btw,  I am reading the last of the Day of the Triffids as I type.  I have really enjoyed it and have read most of it today in between birthday festivities.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Mayor of Casterbridge looks really good, too. And meeting up on the windswept moor to compare notes sounds great! But I'm such a pokey reader at the moment, I hate to commit to anything! 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I appear to have 6 Thomas Hardy books available on Overdrive to listen to but none with Alan Rickman as narrator!  Several with Simon Vance who I have been happy with in the past.  One of the Hardy choices is Under a Greenwood Tree which (blush) is unfamiliar........

I am willing to listen to any of them but give me a few days to get organized.

I have 700 pages left of my Hampshire book, so a few days would be fine. Maybe even more than a few.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

Mayor of Casterbridge looks really good, too. And meeting up on the windswept moor to compare notes sounds great! But I'm such a pokey reader at the moment, I hate to commit to anything! 

Totally understood. Nothing kills my desire to read like promising to read. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, loesje22000 said:

I read the Mayor of Castorbridge and Far from the Madding Crowd in translation. I liked them both. I will take a hunt to see if I can find more translations of Hardy...

Mmm so far no good.

Tess of d’Ubervilles seems to have been translated once, but the one I found is about 50 euro! ?‍♀️

Back to my sick dd

• Like 2