Menu

Biology Audiobooks for Middle School Aged?

Hi Everyone,

I have two children who have dyslexia.   (Grades 6 and 5.)   They can read at grade level thanks to a LOT of intensive OG tutoring, but it still feels like hard work for them.   

I am trying to plan biology next year.   We are going to use RSO Biology Level 2 for labs.   However, I would love to find some good supplemental audiobooks that I could add to their science.    My oldest dreams of some day becoming a wildlife biologist, and so I would love to be able to support this dream with a book list he could listen to in his free time.

We have subscriptions to audible and learning ally.  (Although both kids complain about the quality of learning ally.)   We also have access to Overdrive (aka Libby app) and Hoopla through our library. 

(I really wish Quark Chronicles had an audiobook option.   It would be right up their alley.   I've even thought about recording it myself over the summer.)

Any other recommendations for "fun" biology themed audiobooks for this age range?   

We used a Human Body Atlas book, hands-on labs with microscope, a Janice VanCleave Biology for Every Kid ,The Way We Work by Macaulay, and documentaries in the 7th grade.  My dyslexic was more interested in seeing and doing rather then reading about life science from a Burgess book.  

The only books I assigned that were health/bio/life science related were titled The Ghost Map and Herriot’s All Creatures Great and Small.  Given the subject matter, save Ghost Map for high school.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

We used a Human Body Atlas book, hands-on labs with microscope, a Janice VanCleave Biology for Every Kid ,The Way We Work by Macaulay, and documentaries in the 7th grade.  My dyslexic was more interested in seeing and doing rather then reading about life science from a Burgess book.  

The only books I assigned that were health/bio/life science related were titled The Ghost Map and Herriot’s All Creatures Great and Small.  Given the subject matter, save Ghost Map for high school.

Can you let us know what documentaries you have watched?    I like having a list around for sick days, etc.  :)

Check out Guest Hollow. I know one of mine enjoyed several titles from her list and we got the audio version of several. 

Caveat emptor regarding using this for middle school. Some might be too mature. 

Speaking of which, if you read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, you might want to censor parts of it. (Incest, language, sexual content.) 

Check out Ellen McHenry's video list--she has shorter and longer videos of biology concepts. They are often very specific, like watching a fly trigger a venus flytrap when she's talking about that concept. I am not sure how many of them are broad. She tries to keep it up-to-date and kid-friendly.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCNmJ3f1ALuGxwYgPGwplkA

Her curriculum is also great--very hands-on, and even the wordy parts are conversational. She has thumb-print people that interact with the text to make it lighter. Some of her games and printables are available for free on her site even if you don't have her curriculum.

• Like 1