Menu

Avengers Infinity War Discussion--SPOILERS!!!

cintinative

I don't have time to discuss today, but I have to say that it was fun hearing everyone's gasps at the end.  One woman did yell out loud, "What the f**k?" and then she laughed hard because she hadn't meant to say it out loud.:D  There were also a lot of "wait? what?"  

Super fun.  

In my current household of 5, 4 of us enjoyed it.  My ds13 is quite the pretentious critic these days, and has been detailing everything wrong with the movie since we saw it Thursday night. He didn't even want to see it, but we made him. :P He's been so cranky about everything lately, and I didn't want to let him sit home and brood.

We had paid to see it in 3D, but something went wrong and it was not.  We did, however, get free tickets for another 3D movie.  My one son went with friends and saw it in IMAX.  He thought it was good.

There was only 1 thing I really didn't like, and that was the space dog/monster things.  It felt like it was Lord of the Rings.  Otherwise, I enjoyed the different elements and team ups. 

• Like 2

Spoilers, spoilers, spoilers... I had a migraine after the movie and am just now starting to process it.

I really thought Tony and/or Steve would die without patching up their feud, and Bucky would take up the shield and become the new Cap.  I think a lot of people thought that.  Instead it turned inside out and the "original Avengers" are intact.  I should have known!  We just watched Civil War the night before where Fury says something to Stark about the guilt of watching all his friends die and being the only survivor. T'Challa disappearing was shocking to me, though.  I'm under the assumption that Vision and the ones who vanished because of Thanos will return somehow, but Loki (he tried to kill Coulson, jerk can stay dead), Gamora, and Heimdall (oh that one hurt) are irreversible deaths.  This is Marvel though and I could be wrong.  Am probably wrong.

I suspect Clint Barton survived, but his family did not, and that's what will bring him back in in Avengers 4.

In case anyone watches Agents of SHIELD, I'm convinced now that the final episodes of the season (series?) take place leading up to the vanishing of the 50%, and the final scene is Daisy meeting with Maria Hill and/or Fury immediately before the after-credits scene.

Still processing.  Probably going to see it again on Tuesday.

Cannot wait for Captain Marvel.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kim in Appalachia said:

There was only 1 thing I really didn't like, and that was the space dog/monster things.  It felt like it was Lord of the Rings.  Otherwise, I enjoyed the different elements and team ups. 

I thought that too--they were very creepy and I wasn't sure if they were something out of the comic universe that I hadn't seen before? 

There is no way Black Panther and Spiderman are staying gone--I think they have sequels slated for both--although I guess they could occur in the past?

I keep thinking about what Dr. Strange said about only one scenario out of millions having a favorable outcome--this was allegedly it I guess--so maybe they can turn back time somehow? 

My brother had said something about how several major characters die in the Infinity War comic so he warned me people would die--but the disintegration thing was unexpected. I thought they would die in battle, and I was sure that Captain America and Iron Man would be key people to go given their time in the series. So the ones that disintegrated in the end--that was really surprising.  

• Like 3

I'm not buying it, they're not killing off Black Panther, the star of the highest grossest film of all time. And Spider Man is under contract for 2 more movies, their already slated for release. Like the pp I think Gamora and Loki are likely gone for good but the rest must come back. I'm feeling rather annoyed by it, although they did better than I thought they would tying it all together. I did not care for Dr. Strange in there, although I loved him in his stand alone, I mean it's BC! but it felt a bit silly in the context of the rest of the movie.

So I was thinking about this last night and I think part of the reason I was annoyed at the ending is that it is not what Andrew Pudewa describes as a "whole story":  good is good, bad is bad, and good wins.   For sure, good did not win at the end of this movie.  At times they blurred that good/bad line with the whole premise that the villan was doing all this to make things "right" (although every single other person called it genocide), although I think it was just mostly that good didn't win that bugged me.    

Someone mentioned in a review that the 'cliffhanger' reminded them of Empire Strikes Back because it leaves you with information but no closure.

• Like 4

I absolutely loved the movie, hated the ending. I also didn't know there was going to be a part 2, so it was super depressing to think there was no resolution. I am feeling much better, excited even, this  morning after reading about Ant Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel. I didn't know about Captain Marvel at all, but apparently that is the symbol from the device Fury sent a message with. 

I have a pet theory about Dr. Strange doing something to the Time Stone before he gave it up. Some magical something that when paired with Captain Marvel's abilities will make it all OK. LOL 

So, at first although I was sick about the ending, I am in a more reflective place this morning, happy that something unexpected happened, if that makes sense. These movies can feel so predictable, with the good guys always prevailing in the end, but I didn't see this end coming at all. Now, I still expect and need them to prevail in the 2nd part :laugh: but I'm OK with sitting with this for a while. Is the bravery of heroes really true bravery if they always know with certainty that they're going to prevail, coming out with only some bruises but still feeling up to having shawarma while feeling a bit worn out? LOL

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cintinative said:

So I was thinking about this last night and I think part of the reason I was annoyed at the ending is that it is not what Andrew Pudewa describes as a "whole story":  good is good, bad is bad, and good wins.   For sure, good did not win at the end of this movie.  At times they blurred that good/bad line with the whole premise that the villan was doing all this to make things "right" (although every single other person called it genocide), although I think it was just mostly that good didn't win that bugged me.    

Someone mentioned in a review that the 'cliffhanger' reminded them of Empire Strikes Back because it leaves you with information but no closure.

You posted while I was finishing my post! Yes, this, but part 2 should make everything OK in that regard. Moral relativism aside. :happy:

• Like 1

Thanos didn't just want to kill people to kill people.  He wanted to end overpopulation.  My daughter's theory is that the universe was split into two universes.  The Original Avengers who don't have contracts end up in one universe (is Captain Marvel called to that universe?) and the others that "died" are in another universe.  Dr. Strange, who knows the only way everyone can be saved, gives up the stone because he knows the only way to save all is this way.  

I'm excited to see the Captain Marvel movie. My daughter yelled out Captain Marvel at the end of the movie when she saw the call sign.  Everyone laughed

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, dancingmama said:

Thanos didn't just want to kill people to kill people.  He wanted to end overpopulation.  My daughter's theory is that the universe was split into two universes.  The Original Avengers who don't have contracts end up in one universe (is Captain Marvel called to that universe?) and the others that "died" are in another universe.  Dr. Strange, who knows the only way everyone can be saved, gives up the stone because he knows the only way to save all is this way.  

I'm excited to see the Captain Marvel movie. My daughter yelled out Captain Marvel at the end of the movie when she saw the call sign.  Everyone laughed

I am somewhere in this general vicinity.  All of the people I had expected to die because of contracts ending and such are the ones who survived.  Something odd has happened and I expect a major twist.  I just saw it last night, so I haven’t worked it all out yet (I keep going back to Red Skull admitting that the price to be paid for the soul stone is never worth it).

I do think the ones who were actually killed by Thanos, as opposed to disintegrating, are actually gone for good.  Heimdall was particularly painful.  It’s amazing to me how much they were able to make us truly care about some of these characters over the years. 

• Like 3

Well, we just saw it today. My girls loved it and are looking forward to the next one. I, on the other hand, am old and grumpy and hated it. I do not like things that are not complete. I hated that the "bad guys" just completely and constantly overpowered the "good guys." Sure, they are probably going to make things better in the next movie, but that is a freakin' year away at least! This movie did nothing but stress me out and I wish I had not seen it. I have loved all the others, btw.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DD#1 was able to go on opening night (college she takes a class at had a free showing for the college kids because finals are next week), and I knew by her response when she came home that the ending was going to be like Back to the Future Part 2 ("to be continued" w/out the actual wording on the screen = very unfulfilling).

We saw it on Friday night and I was annoyed at the audience because they frequently were making noise when I wanted to hear a character say something. I'm looking forward to when we can watch it at home without all the noise of the audience.

So, I thought there were two themes - the "I know better than you do" Thanos where his overpopulation/idealism leads to unhappiness/disorder (at least in his homeworld) and the "you must give up the thing you love for the good of the universe" one. The latter seemed to never work out well either because the person couldn't give up the thing they loved, they gave it up too late to make it matter, or they gave it up finally and it wasn't worth it. Both seemed rather depressing.

I, too, have a theory about how the time stone obviously plays a part in making things reverse/get better. Instead of Captain Marvel, I wondered if perhaps Dr Strange saw that Tony Stark was absolutely necessary to whatever had to happen to make the Avengers "win" in the end. Obviously, Captain Marvel will be a part of it, but Iron Man must somehow also play a part, IMO.

I did know this was a multi-part movie, so I wasn't surprised at the lack-of-ending. I was disappointed that the Bruce Banner - Black Widow feelings didn't have more screentime than the one awkward moment. 

The kids have been using lines from the movie all day - and we've been using the Starlord/Iron Man "plan" lines from the trailer for awhile. My favorite scene was the one where Thor answers Groot and says he took "Groot" (the language) as an elective on Asgard. :wub: I told the kids that reinforces how great electives can be & to never dismiss them out of hand.
And, on a personal note, I thought there definitely wasn't enough of Capn America's arm muscles. A closeup of shiny white teeth just isn't the same. :laugh: And, if they took my vote, I'd suggest Loki comes back somehow. He's a fun & complex character that keeps you guessing.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, emmaluv+2more said:

I am somewhere in this general vicinity.  All of the people I had expected to die because of contracts ending and such are the ones who survived.  Something odd has happened and I expect a major twist.  I just saw it last night, so I haven’t worked it all out yet (I keep going back to Red Skull admitting that the price to be paid for the soul stone is never worth it).

I do think the ones who were actually killed by Thanos, as opposed to disintegrating, are actually gone for good.  Heimdall was particularly painful.  It’s amazing to me how much they were able to make us truly care about some of these characters over the years. 

Yeah, Heimdall's death hurt.  Figured it was coming, but it still hurt.

I'm surprised at how many people didn't realize this was only part one!  When this was announced maybe four, five years ago, they were originally titled Part One and Part Two, but they started naming each specific sequel at that point (instead of like Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, we got Captain America: Winter Solider and Captain America: Civil War).  The next one will have a different title, but it was always meant to be the second part.

Personally, I like it when the good guys don't win every battle, when they make bad decisions, when they put their personal feelings and emotions ahead of the prescribed plan and end up with a terrible outcome.

I agree that Doctor Strange saw that saving Stark and folding this hand was the only way to eventually come out ahead.  Thanos had no guilt about wiping out half of the life in the universe, but Stark's entire arc the past ten years has been guilt about the situations he's created that have destroyed lives.  They are opposites.  This is his chance to actually reverse a horrific tragedy (wield a new gauntlet, turn back time, combine the two "universes", something like that) instead of trying to make amends that will never be enough or just go really, really wrong (like Ultron).

• Like 6

The kids saw it Sat and we went last night. I try to live a spoiler-free life so I didn't know it was supposed to be 2 movies. I'm not a Marvel nerd so I didn't recognize the Captain Marvel logo at the end. ? It was a good action movie. I think they have the same problem that other movies & shows have when they make the villain super powerful. What I've learned about the Captain Marvel character is that she is super powerful and could have stopped Thanos. That begs the question of where has she been during all of the other disasters that occurred in the past movies. Hopefully, they will address this in her movie coming out next year.

I agree with the others who think that Dr. Strange did something to the time stone before handing it over to Thanos.

• Like 3

I just saw it today. I was also left with a huge “WTF!!” moment and wasn’t ready for the cliffhanger (please don’t be more than 3 parts!)

I got the feeling Capt. Marvel is more integral to this than I previously thought.

On a personal note, I was peeved that the major scene for Shuri was released on the Internet. It’s when she and Banner discuss Vision’s neuron network. Had I known that, I would have waited to watch it. 

I refuse to believe Loki is totally gone and I hope Shuri didn’t also dissipate like the others.

• Like 1

From what I know, there was once the possibility of Infinity War part one and two but they decided to make it into one movie.  

I think IW ended on a "the world has changed" moment like the other movies did.  The movies all flow together so I don't see that IW was *just* a prelude to the next movie.

We are so accustomed to the "good guys always win" that a powerful villian that seems to win is shocking.

While they did say at one point that Infinity wars was not being split into two movies, it is obvious that it was - just that they wanted a big shock factor at the end of the first. And, possibly, a different feel to part #2. (But, Back to the Future parts 2 & 3 had completely different feels, too.)

There is a discussion that of course, the ending scene doesn't mean what it seems to mean because most of those characters have sequels already scheduled (except for Black Panther - which apparently at least has a 'want to have a sequel' without an actual plan right now). 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2018 at 4:39 PM, VaKim said:

Well, we just saw it today. My girls loved it and are looking forward to the next one. I, on the other hand, am old and grumpy and hated it. I do not like things that are not complete. I hated that the "bad guys" just completely and constantly overpowered the "good guys." Sure, they are probably going to make things better in the next movie, but that is a freakin' year away at least! This movie did nothing but stress me out and I wish I had not seen it. I have loved all the others, btw.

This. We saw it last night, and I hated it and wish now that I hadn't seen it. My 13 yr old agrees with me. The older boys & DH thought it was great. Horrible, but great/amazing/incredible. Me, I am, and always have been, firmly in the camp of "a bad ending ruins a movie completely for me."  Seems the 13 yr old is the same. I have not cried that hard in a movie before, ever. It's like Anakin killing the Younglings, and all the deaths in Harry Potter, and the sucky ending from City of Angels, all rolled into one and magnified a trillion times. I hate, hate, hate it. 

But. The family is convinced there will be some reversal of time or something that will set things right. That Thanos' pride and feeling of invincibility will be his downfall, and the Avengers will somehow get the Time stone and repair things. They, and we, are clinging to the fact that Dr Strange said there was exactly one outcome in which they win, and then told Stark "this was the only way." Even I firmly believe, while we clearly can't see it right now, and it sucks, and I still hate it, the final movie will, presumably, end with them winning. I have to believe that Dr. Strange clearly chose his actions to be the ones that result in the Win.

Whether Marvel gives us back everyone that vanished or not.......I hope so, but at this point, it just sucks and I hate it. Did I say that already? I hadn't realized how attached I've become to these characters. My kids are picking on me, "it's just a movie, Mom".....yes, but.....wow, did it feel like leaving a funeral or something. I have to say, Marvel did a good job with the smokescreens before hand, all the talk of whose contracts were up, whose stories still had to be told, etc. and all the while, it was exactly reverse of that. 

My son's words sum it up -- "The whole movie was pointless. Literally, everything they did, had no point, none of it mattered at all (in the end)."  The next movie needs to make us see how it did matter. (I am, at the moment, planning to send DH & the older boys to see the next one w/o me and the youngest, and then take us later if & only if it's a good resolution to things. Because right now, I'm just mostly mad at Marvel for this.)

Or my comment to DH: Nope, they pulled a Walking Dead. I'm done. 

So....yea. We'll see what happens in the next one. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheReader said:

They, and we, are clinging to the fact that Dr Strange said there was exactly one outcome in which they win, and then told Stark "this was the only way." Even I firmly believe, while we clearly can't see it right now, and it sucks, and I still hate it, the final movie will, presumably, end with them winning. I have to believe that Dr. Strange clearly chose his actions to be the ones that result in the Win.

If there is one thing we've learned about Dr. Strange, it is that he doesn't do anything on impulse.  His words were important in those moments- that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Obviously, Captain Marvel is going to have a big part to play in getting all our heroes back. I don't know anything about her and am not too keen on reading up on her because I dislike spoilers.

However, I also think (and my DS is picking on me for this theory) that Ant-Man & The Wasp is going to give us a glimmer of hope as well.  Their movie is supposed to take place leading up to IW, and one of the things that they are supposed to be exploring is going further into the molecular/quantum level in search of Hope's Mom.   I would love to see some kind of Pim/Stark/Shuri/Banner collaboration to work to bring about the reversal of The Snap.   I think Dr. Strange bargained for Stark's life for a reason, he is not an altruistic guy and wouldn't have done that simply to be nice.   I wouldn't be surprised if there's something with Pim technology that could work with the Time stone maybe?  Something that it takes Tony Stark to figure out. 

On a practical side, there has to be a reversal at some point.  All of the Guardians except Rocket were snapped- they can't make a third movie where they get to take on The Sovereign and the new Adam if they are all debris!  

Gamorra, I think, has a chance to come back to life.  Might be a slight chance, but I think we could see her again.  I also think the brain trust I mentioned above could totally put Vision back together if they decided to do so.  Bring in Dr. Cho and her cradle technology to make repairs, and see what Shuri can do without the mindstone?  Sadly, I think Heimdall is gone, and it sure looks like we've lost Loki for good as well.   When those two were taken in the first moments of the movie, I knew we were in for a ride, but I had no idea.  No idea!  

I didn't really care for the Banner/Hulk storyline with the performance issues.  

On the positive sides, I absolutely loved how they broke up all these heroes into unexpected little groups.  Their interactions were fabulous ("This is my new friend Tree") and there were very clear moments in the movie where we got so excited!  When the Rubber Band Man music started up, we almost cheered because we KNEW what that meant as far who was coming on screen in the next moments.  Red Skull's return was fun- I just knew we'd see him again when the Tesseract sucked him into oblivion.  I also love how they literally pulled things/stories from ALL of the MCU movies into this one.  I was trying to suggest one or two movies to DH that he might want to brush up on before going to see this, and the only one I could really point out was Thor:Ragnarok, because there were quite a few references to that, but other than that, there were references and glimpses from all of the previous movies.  It really was incredible to see all of these worlds and stories come together for one giant mash-up.

Finally, we're hopeful over here that all the people we didn't get to see are alive and well and not Snapped.  Hawkeye and Ant-Man (as well as Wasp and Pim) being the obvious ones missing, but also Darcy and Erik Selvig,  Valkyrie and Korg, Sharon Carter, what's left of SHIELD, etc.  I think those people, along with the remaining Avengers could band together in the next movie and get some revenge.

• Like 4

Lady Marmalade, I agree. 

Now that I've had time to recover (ha!), I do agree with all you say there. We did *love* the mixing & mingling of different groups; the whole "Pirate-Angel" vs "Morons" was hilarious, and all the back & forth between Star Lord & Thor, and then Thor introducing his group to everyone, and Spider Man/Iron Man/Dr Strange fighting with, then realizing they're on the same side as, Star Lord & crew.....really great scenes. 

How Marvel/Disney pulled off this epic mash-up/follow-up to 10 years, 18 movies.....incredible. Really incredible. Like you say, there were references scattered throughout, and it was amazing. We hadn't seen Black Panther yet, and now want to to see what we missed. (last night was a different story and I asked "what's the point? they all die....") We also hope that the off-screen folks are alive, but like another poster said, I rather doubt that Hawkeye's family all comes through unscathed, which makes me really sad. 

Definitely clinging to Dr. Strange and his 1 in 14 million+ scenarios for hope for the future. Now that it's the light of day, I've had time to process, I'm cautiously looking forward to the next one. Maybe. 

• Like 2

My somewhat reclusive 15yo DD went to the library Monday and had overheard a couple of girls talking about the movie.  She had been trying so hard to miss spoilers online, and it's sort of funny that our tiny, deserted library would have someone loudly discussing spoilers.  She was really pushing to go see it after that, so I knew it was going to be bad (she didn't spoil it for me).  She apparently had heard that Bucky died along with half the cast, but didn't know any other names.  We went yesterday afternoon, so we wouldn't have anything else given away.  lol

I loved it and can't wait to see what happens next.  I am hoping they somehow bring back Gamorah.  I'm not always a big fan of the Avenger movies, since there is generally little plot development, but all the Guardian/Avenger interactions were so much fun! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Lady Marmalade, I agree. 

Now that I've had time to recover (ha!), I do agree with all you say there. We did *love* the mixing & mingling of different groups; the whole "Pirate-Angel" vs "Morons" was hilarious, and all the back & forth between Star Lord & Thor, and then Thor introducing his group to everyone, and Spider Man/Iron Man/Dr Strange fighting with, then realizing they're on the same side as, Star Lord & crew.....really great scenes. 

How Marvel/Disney pulled off this epic mash-up/follow-up to 10 years, 18 movies.....incredible. Really incredible. Like you say, there were references scattered throughout, and it was amazing. We hadn't seen Black Panther yet, and now want to to see what we missed. (last night was a different story and I asked "what's the point? they all die....") We also hope that the off-screen folks are alive, but like another poster said, I rather doubt that Hawkeye's family all comes through unscathed, which makes me really sad. 

Definitely clinging to Dr. Strange and his 1 in 14 million+ scenarios for hope for the future. Now that it's the light of day, I've had time to process, I'm cautiously looking forward to the next one. Maybe. 

Shaking my head because a sci-fi/fantasy movie made me really need to process it!

For me, one of the worst things was that in the midst of all of it, somehow I was made to FEEL something akin to affection for the bad guy.  I understood his motives and could see why he wanted to do what he wanted to do.  Of course, by the very end that affection was replaced by loathing.  But still.  That flip-flop of emotions kind of rocked me yesterday.

Yesterday I left the theatre feeling like... I'd actually lost something precious to me.  We were fairly quiet on the 15 minute car ride home, and it honestly took a while before we could stop thinking about the Bad Stuff and remember all of the many funny moments.  There WERE tons of them! 

We're absolutely going to see it again.  I think we'll appreciate it much more the second time through.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Shaking my head because a sci-fi/fantasy movie made me really need to process it!

For me, one of the worst things was that in the midst of all of it, somehow I was made to FEEL something akin to affection for the bad guy.  I understood his motives and could see why he wanted to do what he wanted to do.  Of course, by the very end that affection was replaced by loathing.  But still.  That flip-flop of emotions kind of rocked me yesterday.

Yesterday I left the theatre feeling like... I'd actually lost something precious to me.  We were fairly quiet on the 15 minute car ride home, and it honestly took a while before we could stop thinking about the Bad Stuff and remember all of the many funny moments.  There WERE tons of them! 

We're absolutely going to see it again.  I think we'll appreciate it much more the second time through.  

re: the bold, YES. That was me, and my youngest. The older teens were all ready to talk about it, sort it out, discuss it, wasn't it great, blah blah blah and I was all "Half the world just DIED!! Do you people not CARE??!" They didn't get me, at all, and poor DH was trying to talk with them but not annoy me, 'cause he could tell I just needed to (in a way, and not to diminish true grief, but still) grieve a bit. And our youngest was right there with me, appalled and horrified and sad and dejected, so he and I just sat there staring at them in shock and shooting down every "but wasn't it great when...."  because NO. NO, it wasn't. 

We had gone out to eat after the movie (due to timing of the show and all) and it was just....awkward. Today I can talk to them, though, so I'm sure we will. There *were* funny moments, and great moments. But, dangit, that ending took a lot out of me. Which is so silly, because it's a movie. And a comic book movie where mostly none of the deaths will even be permanent anyway. But I definitely needed my time to just.....let it affect me....before I could come to a place of "now let's talk about it." 

I'm not sure I'll watch *this* movie again, I still don't watch whichever episode of Star Wars it was where Ani kills the Younglings, but maybe after the next installment, when all is right with the world again (I hope), maybe then. Or I'll just leave when Scarlet Witch destroys Vision's stone and things seem like they'll be okay, before Thanos takes it, and pretend it ends there. I could live with that. 

I'm still amazed that this movie affected me so deeply, and I guess that, more than anything, shows what a truly fabulous job they did with it. 

And yes, I get what you mean about Thanos, too. He seemed so confident in his wrongness, and so compassionate in the whole randomness of it, and I certainly didn't *like* him but being made to understand him......DH asked me, later, "I wonder if Thanos would have been able to weild Thor's hammer?" and was serious. Because as far as rulers go, not the way we'd rule, obviously, but would the hammer think it fair, Thor's dad was a conqueror too, etc.... I love and hate that the movie made us think about Thanos even for a second in that light. 

The further away I get from the movie, the more I think about it.....really an amazing feat.

• Like 1

My kids watched Avengers 1 the other night & I caught where Loki's "We have a Hulk" comment from the ship came from. (Tony Stark said that line in Avengers 1. Funny BOTH times. Cuz you're like, "YEAAAHH!!! We're going to totally win this one!")

Lots to process. It was a good movie for all the emotions, but a great 17 (never saw Hulk & never want to) movies leading up to this one to make us (fans) care & be so familiar with characters. 

• Like 1

I loved this movie. I love the crossover interaction especially Thor/Quill and Stark/Strange.  I liked that the good guys didn't automatically win.  I liked how they humanized Thanos. On the shallow side I like that Thor has 2 eyes again. 

• Like 1

As I was watching I wasn't remembering it was a two-parter, until the very end.  So, I was sitting there, watching Thanos get more and more powerful.  No one could stop him, no matter what they did.  No weapon exists that can stop him.  And I was thinking, "How will the writers get out of this corner they've painted themselves into by the end of this movie?"

Thanos has all the possible power in the world.  All of it.  

The only way for this to be undone, is for Thanos to undo it.  He's the only one powerful enough.

And the only way he can undo it, is to face the fact that he's a monster.  He has to want things to go back to the way they were.  And I think the way he'll face that is with child-Gamora who is stuck in his brain. There was that odd little scene with him talking to a dead child-Gamora in some sort of gazebo type thing in his mind. She'll be mentally torturing him with the horror of what he's done.  Not literal torture, but maybe with her there, he'll grow a conscious and the pain of facing her day after day and realizing he killed her, will be too much and he'll finally understand the grief and loss he's put half the universe through. 

And then he'll choose for himself to undo what he did.

But that might be too cerebral for an action movie.  You can't have a good fighty scene with a guy sitting around grieving over loss and finally deciding to use all this power to undo it.  So, it probably won't go the way I think, though I do think my way would be satisfying.

And I laughed loud and long when Groot said, "I am Groot," in that snotty teenage tone.  That was hilARious.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yes yes yes!  I could barely laugh at the funny moments of the movie because it was a dark movie.  The looking defeat colored everything.  And I had to actually intentionally work at not crying when Peter died.  Oh man, that nailed me through the heart.  Wanda and Vision got me as well.

I’m still glad they didn’t fix everything and there were costs to be paid.  But I told my husband (who hasn’t seen it) when I got home that Thanos was my new fevorite character.  He seemed very weirded out, but as much as I have zero kinship with an overpopulation theme, I appreciated the texture they gave him, and the layered motivation.  I thought they’d try and play him as straight up evil, but they went much further than that and it was compelling to watch.  

I'm glad you got a chance to see it!

I saw where someone pointed out that because of his "spidey senses", Peter likely felt himself disappearing earlier and with a greater intensity than anyone else who also vanished.  Oof, right in the feels.

I thought it was gut-wrenching.  Several times I had to cover my eyes just watching my good guys get the crap beat out of them.  And killing off Loki in the very beginning like that...aww c'mon! I appreciated the story line, and overall really enjoyed it.  BUT...

In XMen they did sort of the same thing where they kill everyone off and then bring them back with a time-twisty thing.  It makes me angry. I feel like my emotions are being toyed with, and I don't like that.  Grieve and have your guts wrenched out for all these characters you've come to love... but nah, just kidding!  Hahaha! 

Nope. That seems to be where this is heading, and I'm not happy about it.  It's like an easy cop-out, ya know?

• Like 1

On May 7, 2018 at 7:08 PM, dancingmama said:

This is the second movie (at least) that they humanize the bad guy.  Black Panther did the same.  Interesting move for an action film.

Yes.  And not just humanize (calling toddler Gemora "little one" and looking wistfully at her small sweet hand is humanizing), but sympathetic in the reasoning that brings them to the oppositional positions they take.  

Almost like good and evil aren't quite as binary as comic books would have it.

1 hour ago, goldberry said:

I thought it was gut-wrenching.  Several times I had to cover my eyes just watching my good guys get the crap beat out of them.  And killing off Loki in the very beginning like that...aww c'mon! I appreciated the story line, and overall really enjoyed it.  BUT...

In XMen they did sort of the same thing where they kill everyone off and then bring them back with a time-twisty thing.  It makes me angry. I feel like my emotions are being toyed with, and I don't like that.  Grieve and have your guts wrenched out for all these characters you've come to love... but nah, just kidding!  Hahaha! 

Nope. That seems to be where this is heading, and I'm not happy about it.  It's like an easy cop-out, ya know?

Oh dear, I really hope not.  Time-twisting really is narratively irritating.  I'll never forgive Hermione's clock turner in Prisoner of Azkaban.  Cheap trick.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I know right?  I’m hoping I at least get some good news about the renewal of Agents of SHIELD to keep my heart from totally breaking.  Any day now...

I was refreshing my browser like crazy when ABC started making announcements yesterday and... nothing.

I'm starting to wonder if we're going to get a hiatus until next summer then a short, final season.  Which means Thanos can take out anyone on SHIELD, if the next season doesn't start until after Avengers 4.  Rumor is they were still working on VFX for the last episode this past week, which makes me wonder if they're waiting to see if they need to turn some people to dust or just let them ride off into the sunset unscathed.  I'll be apoplectic with rage if half the team vanishes and the show gets axed.

Spoilers re: Avengers 4 (some based on leaked photos from the set). 

Start of spoilers.... (text is in white, highlight to read):

Most of the characters who "dissolved" in Infinity Wars have been spotted on the set of Avengers 4, including Gamora. However, leaked photos from the set show some of the characters in costumes and situations from previous movies (e.g. Thor with long hair and original armor, Loki with that clamp over his mouth), and the Avengers seem to be wearing some sort of wristband thingy that may be related to time travel, so some of the characters may only be alive in the past rather than having been resurrected. Obviously Peter Parker, T'challa and most of the Guardians will be resurrected for real, since they all have sequels in the works.

The scene in the weird orange haze where Thanos talks to young Gamora is the Soul World, as that's also how it's depicted in the comics. Many people seem to think the other "dissolved" people are there, too.

Hawkeye appears in A4, but dressed as Ronin. The theory is that Thanos wiped out his family and he is out for vengeance.

Sebastian Stan still has 3 more films on his contract, whereas Chris Evans was reluctant to even sign a 1-movie extension to do A4 and he says he doesn't want to do any more. Speculation is that he may die in A4 and Bucky becomes Captain America.

Robert Downey Jr's contract is also up and he has said he's done with Iron Man, so he may make the ultimate sacrifice as well.

When Joe Russo was asked to confirm whether certain MCU characters had survived the snap, he gave the following replies:
Korg and Miek: can't answer / spoiler
Lady Sif: gone
Valkyrie: survived
Jane Foster: can't answer / spoiler
Shuri: can't answer / spoiler [note: she appears to have downloaded Vision's consciousness before she was attacked, so theoretically he could be brought back] 
Nakia: Survived, on an undercover mission
Ned Leads: can't answer / spoiler
Aunt May: survived

End of spoilers

• Like 1

I think we're going to see 12 months of fake spoilers.  They filmed Infinity War and Avengers 4 at the same time, and cast had portions of script, so No One really know what's what as far as what scenes go where.  

Ronin (The real Ronin) is supposed to show up in the Captain Marvel movie (which is set in the 90's), but we cannot figure out why people would think that Hawkeye will come back as Ronin? That doesn't really make sense- does it?  One thing that we've thought of is that we have no idea what's up with Captain Marvel.  Why is this all powerful superhero not in the fray already?  Maybe she's in a stasis chamber type thing and Hawkeye's "retirement" job has been to watch over her pod.   When he gets Fury's text he brings her out and somewhere along the line ends up dressed as Ronin? I dunno.  

I really think we're going to get something in Ant Man & The Wasp.   I have fun theories, but since we don't have to wait THAT long for this movie, I can hang onto those to see if Ant Man will give us any clue.

But I'm also trying to reconcile Agents of Shield with all of this.  I mean, they're still stuck in that danged time loop.  I feel like they have a piece to play in bringing things back to rights in the MCU.

FWIW, the directors of AOS have said that if this is the last season, they'll give the series some closure and not just leave us hanging.  

25 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yes I saw the renewal and was super happy, but as far as I know they’re observing the snap in ge truncated next season, and possibly as the cliffhanger of the finale on Friday.

I let out one of those pterodactyl squeals and startled my kids when I saw the renewal news.  I'm a bit nervous, but happy.  They could push those 13 episodes off closer to A4.

I had a thought that maybe the world cracking apart was what kept Thanos from getting snappy, and breaking the loop is actually what lets him follow through with the plan.  But DH pointed out that Doctor Strange said the only solution was to save Stark and let Thanos have the Time Stone.  But then again, they don't have to be mutually exclusive.  He still could have eventually gotten the stones sifting through the pieces of Earth.

While they can't ignore IW, I suspect AoS might tie in more to Captain Marvel.  I mean, it'll have Fury, Coulson, and the Kree.

Resurrecting the thread, because we finally saw the movie yesterday.  We steadfastly avoided any spoilers, partly easier because we were on vacation in Spain (and packing for and recovering from said vacation).  Wow, we were shell-shocked afterwards!!  In avoiding spoilers of any kind, I didn't realize it was a two-parter.  I thought it alone was wrapping up the MCU storylines to move on to the next phase!  So I kept thinking it would resolve with some last minute losses.  

This morning we have more perspective...and I've read the thread.  I definitely share some thoughts and ideas of others.  Some of my thoughts...

• Definitely noticed the trend from Nazis and pure evil to more sympathetic villains, moreso in BP.  Life isn't simple, so I like that.
  • Loved the banter between the characters in the midst of the action!  It's really reflective of what I loved about the first Avengers (and, to me, a signature of Joss Whedon, so I'm glad they kept his stamp.)  I could listen to Thor say "rabbit" and laugh even after the millionth time. 
  • I think that Doctor Strange has a plan, but I don't think saving Tony and giving up the stone is all of it.  That had to happen in more than one of the 14+ million scenarios.  I think he put more in action somehow to ensure the outcome.  I wondered this morning if Hulk's problem is a not a performance issue, but part of sticking to the only plan that could succeed. Did we need Banner to not do anything rash and die for the science-y solution?  I hope we'll learn more about subtle things Strange tweaked to get to the right option.
  • I keep thinking that Stan Lee's "watcher" character plays a role or will play a bigger role...did he make sure that bus was in the right place? Will he somehow be integral to the solution?
  • I thought the power balance was pretty good, though I'm not a comic book/super hero fanatic.  All of the heroes' strengths came to play to almost take him down, but once he gained more than one stone it was just never enough.  I liked that they included as many of their strengths as possible. I loved that Mantis was able to control his mind and get close.  I loved that Groot made the handle for Thor's weapon.  I loved the scene with Rocket and Bucky fighting together.
  • I really missed Valkyrie.  I loved her and hope she didn't die in the battle just before the start of the movie.
  • I refuse to think about the characters that "really" died yet...that's too much.

Ds mourned a bit, but this morning said.  "It was a GREAT movie, well, until everybody died."  "Yeah...better than Hamlet."  which has always been a favorite here, even though...well...everybody dies.

I think I might watch all of the movies over the next year while I wait, since I have so long to avoid spoilers again.  I've found a couple of watching guides that have EVERYTHING in order:

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/feature/a825774/marvel-cinematic-universe-in-chronological-order/

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/marvel-cinematic-universe-timeline-avengers/

• Like 3

Re: Black Panther.  Obviously there are going to be more Black Panther movies because they make a huge amount of money from them, but it would be A-OK story-wise if Shuri became the Black Panther. 

So, T'Challa could stay dead, Chadwick Boseman could do something else with his life other than have to give the Wakanda greeting every time anyone sees him, and the franchise could continue.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GailV said:

Re: Black Panther.  Obviously there are going to be more Black Panther movies because they make a huge amount of money from them, but it would be A-OK story-wise if Shuri became the Black Panther. 

So, T'Challa could stay dead, Chadwick Boseman could do something else with his life other than have to give the Wakanda greeting every time anyone sees him, and the franchise could continue.

Ack!  You are totally right, of course.  Shuri would make quite the Black Panther and I sure wouldn't mind seeing that happen!

But, I'm still going to be rooting for T'Challa to come back.  ?

• Like 1

On 5/7/2018 at 8:51 PM, Lady Marmalade said:

Oh my gosh, today I saw that James Gunn tweeted what Groot's last "I Am Groot" meant as he faded away.  He was looking at Rocket when he said it.  

He said "Dad."

*Insert sobbing smiley that doesn't seem to work when I select it.*

I loved angsty teen Groot, and may have cried ridiculously hard when he disappeared. I also really liked that they made Spiderman realistically afraid to die (and his iron spider suit was bad ass!). 

Overall, I didn't enjoy the movie all that much in the moment. It felt like they started in the middle, and it was battle after battle after battle, with not enough character interaction for my taste. Or, I guess, not enough of the interaction that I wanted, because I guess there was a fair amount of Star-Lord. I do like that whole crew,  and I get that they are essential characters in the overall story arc, but I really wanted an Avengers movie and felt like I didn't get it. 

Hated the Hulk bits, pretty much. I don't really like him as Banner, and the Hulk refusing to appear got tedious quickly. 

The little asides and such are funny and even important, but they weren't enough to glue this movie together for me. And I did feel like the number of characters they were spinning through approached the ridiculous, trying to give them all a bit of screen time and a few lines. 

My hope is that this was necessary to move a well-planned out and amazing story forward, and not that it's the new style of Marvel movies. 

dd, when Thanos explained his reasoning: He's not wrong. 

all of us, when MH says "there's nobody here!" in the post-credit scene: they raptured! 

2 hours ago, Mrs.Wilson said:

I really really disliked how they started the movie.  If everyone from Asgard died then what was the point of Ragnarok?  I'm eager to see Part 2, but this first one isn't one I'll likely watch over and over.

We went and saw it again this afternoon and paid attention to everything so much closer.

Thor specifically said that Thanos killed HALF of the Asgardians.  Which leads me to believe that Valkyrie and Korg are off with the half that survived.  We think that if either of them had died, we'd have been shown their dead bodies lying in that ship. 

• Like 3