Menu

Barton break

I have very mixed feelings about Barton and what I really do not like is how long it will take to get dd reading but there are things that I do see the benefit of. Dd is near the end of level 3 although I am pretty certain she will need to redo some lessons. I was thinking of finishing level 3 then taking a break to do some thing like phonics pathways or blend phonics to do the one syllable stuff like silent Es and vowel teams then doing Barton level 4 after that. She can read silent e from some lexia lessons she had on it and she used to know phonograms. Obviously that is not a recommended sequence but I think it could maybe get her reading. 

I think you can respond to your student’s needs in the way you think will work best for her.  

Especially if she is sounding out well, and you don’t see her getting really confused or frustrated.  Or her accuracy going way down (like guessing for phonograms or not applying a systematic way of sounding out).  

My opinion.  

It is draft, but I am working on a long vowel first phonics program, a good sequence for those with phonological processing problems, I think.  I have a friend whose daughter really needs LiPS but they just moved and changed jobs and are waiting on insurance and finding a good speech therapist in the area. She is testing it out for me, but more testing would be good! It might work for you, and your daughter can get the satisfaction of knowing she is helping future students by testing it.  

I am not sure of the best progression after the short vowels, if you could report back anything that seems out of order blending difficulty wise, I'll re-arrange so it goes from easy to hard to blend.  (The numbers in the long vowel fist PDF jump from 14 to 29 but there is nothing missing, I just am trying to match the later numbers with how the program will eventually be numbered.)  I will eventually add in more review and fluency drills to the later words, and it will also include more at the end, I have not finished yet, but it should be a good start for you.

The first chapter for young students includes fluency and review.  You should be able to print it 2 pages per printed page to use and make it a reasonable size for an older students, I print it like that when I am editing it.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On Phonics/longvowelfirstph.html

2 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

It is draft, but I am working on a long vowel first phonics program, a good sequence for those with phonological processing problems, I think.  I have a friend whose daughter really needs LiPS but they just moved and changed jobs and are waiting on insurance and finding a good speech therapist in the area. She is testing it out for me, but more testing would be good! It might work for you, and your daughter can get the satisfaction of knowing she is helping future students by testing it.  

I am not sure of the best progression after the short vowels, if you could report back anything that seems out of order blending difficulty wise, I'll re-arrange so it goes from easy to hard to blend.  (The numbers in the long vowel fist PDF jump from 14 to 29 but there is nothing missing, I just am trying to match the later numbers with how the program will eventually be numbered.)  I will eventually add in more review and fluency drills to the later words, and it will also include more at the end, I have not finished yet, but it should be a good start for you.

The first chapter for young students includes fluency and review.  You should be able to print it 2 pages per printed page to use and make it a reasonable size for an older students, I print it like that when I am editing it.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On Phonics/longvowelfirstph.html

What age do you mean for younger students? She actually does better with large print because she has vision things going on too but I see the one for older students goes a little farther but it probably is too fast a sequence I think. 

2 hours ago, MistyMountain said:

What age do you mean for younger students? She actually does better with large print because she has vision things going on too but I see the one for older students goes a little farther but it probably is too fast a sequence I think. 

I mean for it to be for a K or 1st grader, but my friend is having her 10 year old go through it happily.  Some older remedial students are very insulted by big font and cutesy pictures.  If your daughter tested that part as is and doesn’t mind, that would be great.  

The one for older students will eventually go slower and have the review and fluency and matching sections as well, I can start adding those in next and format it in large font for you.  Does she know short vowels well?  What number in the older students do I need to add things to slow it down?  I am eventually going to do it all but will start where you need more review for your daughter.  

I will eventually make two versions for older students then, one large font and one smaller font.  A lot of my older students do better with larger font, but a few are insulted by it, and it is super easy to just select everything and change the font size.

5 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

I mean for it to be for a K or 1st grader, but my friend is having her 10 year old go through it happily.  Some older remedial students are very insulted by big font and cutesy pictures.  If your daughter tested that part as is and doesn’t mind, that would be great.  

The one for older students will eventually go slower and have the review and fluency and matching sections as well, I can start adding those in next and format it in large font for you.  Does she know short vowels well?  What number in the older students do I need to add things to slow it down?  I am eventually going to do it all but will start where you need more review for your daughter.  

I will eventually make two versions for older students then, one large font and one smaller font.  A lot of my older students do better with larger font, but a few are insulted by it, and it is super easy to just select everything and change the font size.

She is just finishing up 1st grade and will be finished with 1st and in 2nd when she finishes Barton 3 so she is on the border. It looks like the first one would work a little better as is but when she is done I would want to practice the r controlled vowels and oi and aw. She does know short vowels well. So 10-33 in the older student one except for the oll one she could do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MistyMountain said:

She is just finishing up 1st grade and will be finished with 1st and in 2nd when she finishes Barton 3 so she is on the border. It looks like the first one would work a little better as is but when she is done I would want to practice the r controlled vowels and o. She does know short vowels well. So 10-33 in the older student one except for the oll one she could do. 

I will make a large print version for you with more review on the areas she has not yet done.

Do you have the Dr. Kenneth Lane Vision Therapy workbook?  Your daughter is young enough that you could just work through the whole thing, spending more time on exercises that are difficult.  

https://www.amazon.com/Developing-Ocular-Visual-Perceptual-Skills/dp/1556425953/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525066138&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=lane+occular

1 hour ago, ElizabethB said:

I will make a large print version for you with more review on the areas she has not yet done.

Do you have the Dr. Kenneth Lane Vision Therapy workbook?  Your daughter is young enough that you could just work through the whole thing, spending more time on exercises that are difficult.  

https://www.amazon.com/Developing-Ocular-Visual-Perceptual-Skills/dp/1556425953/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525066138&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=lane+occular

For now I am focusing on retained reflexes and some hand eye coordination work then she will probably do some vision therapy. I think vision therapy takes longer before the reflexes are integrated and it led to sensory overload in my son to do reflex integration exercises and vision therapy at the same time. 

• Like 1