Menu

Berean - Jay Wile online course

My ds is taking his Chemistry class this year.  I have been very happy with it.  

It's a challenging class with a decent workload.  There's 1 1/2 hours of lecture/discussion every week, plus reading half the chapter, doing labs, writing lab reports, and taking a test every two weeks (they cover a module in two weeks).  Dr. Wile grades the lab reports and tests.  I am responsible to making sure he gets the work done and getting lab supplies. Other than that, it's been very hands-off for me.

Edit to add:  The labs and tests have a due date (Friday night) every week.  Also, class time is available to watch on video if a students misses class.

I decided to go with an online class because I felt my ds wasn't really engaging with science and needed a teacher who could engage and challenge him.  It has definitely accomplished that goal!  I don't think he'll be a chemist :wink:, but he enjoys the class, works hard on it, and has learned to write a good, thorough lab report.  

• Like 1

My 11th grader DD is completing the Physics class and we both are enjoying it. She needed to be accountable to someone else and the class provides the right amount of push for her. She enjoys physics and wants to be an Astrophysicist. 

The physics class is ran just as the chemistry Denise in IN described above. 

My son is in biology, and we're also pleased.  I don't know how many students are in each class, but I definitely get the impression that Dr. Wile knows who is who.  My son is in eighth grade and going to a B&M high school next year, and I wanted him to have some outside accountability and to learn to study.  It has been very effective from that standpoint.  He also enjoys the class and is engaged in the lectures even though biology is not his passion.  Dr. Wile is a gifted teacher, and he handles the old earth/young earth division tactfully.  Bio requires that you buy the dissection kit as well as a few other things that we (1) get plenty of notice on; and (2) either have around the house or can get from the grocery story.  I don't know that it's the most intense biology class you could take, but that isn't at all what we were looking for.  If we were going to continue with homeschooling, I would definitely enroll my son in chem and/or physics next year.

Thanks so much everyone for your reviews.  I had not been able to find anyone who had taken his courses, so I didn't have a way to compare them to other classes I was considering for my children.  Sounds like they are extremely heavy in work load though as some of the courses I have found, would that be accurate?  

7 hours ago, plansrme said:

My son is in biology, and we're also pleased.  I don't know how many students are in each class, but I definitely get the impression that Dr. Wile knows who is who.  My son is in eighth grade and going to a B&M high school next year, and I wanted him to have some outside accountability and to learn to study.  It has been very effective from that standpoint.  He also enjoys the class and is engaged in the lectures even though biology is not his passion.  Dr. Wile is a gifted teacher, and he handles the old earth/young earth division tactfully.  Bio requires that you buy the dissection kit as well as a few other things that we (1) get plenty of notice on; and (2) either have around the house or can get from the grocery story.  I don't know that it's the most intense biology class you could take, but that isn't at all what we were looking for.  If we were going to continue with homeschooling, I would definitely enroll my son in chem and/or physics next year.

Definitely the two lines I put in bold print. My daughter missed class on day because we were traveling and I forgot to tell him. We got a personal email wondering where she was and detailing how she could listen to the lecture. Gifted teacher and I wish he was teaching the Advanced classes too so my daughter could continue with him.

15 hours ago, plansrme said:

Sorry, I quoted the wrong post.  Deleting and trying again below.  :mellow:

10 hours ago, southcactusrose said:

Thanks so much everyone for your reviews.  I had not been able to find anyone who had taken his courses, so I didn't have a way to compare them to other classes I was considering for my children.  Sounds like they are extremely heavy in work load though as some of the courses I have found, would that be accurate?  

I haven't compared it to any other classes, but my ds works about an hour a day (sometimes 1 1/2 hours, but that's not the majority), 5 days a week.

22 hours ago, AStableBeginning said:

Definitely the two lines I put in bold print. My daughter missed class on day because we were traveling and I forgot to tell him. We got a personal email wondering where she was and detailing how she could listen to the lecture. Gifted teacher and I wish he was teaching the Advanced classes too so my daughter could continue with him.

Me too! DS is doing Adv Chem this year and I wish Dr. Wile could be his teacher. We got through the 1st Chem course ok, but I'd feel more confident if he was the teacher. Maybe when he gets to Physics we'll try it.

• Like 1