Menu

Mixing Levels of Michael Clay Thompson

shoeycat

Hi

For those of you with experience with MCT Language Arts, l plan to start this curriculum next fall with my son who will be a 9th grader and has HFA. Because l don't want him to miss anything, l have been collecting cheap, used copies of the older editions of the early level TE's in order to fill in any blanks in his knowledge. Language Arts are not his strong suit, as he is more math/science brained. That being said, I am just curious to know at what level people have started their older kids who are new to the curriculum. He can tolerate things addressed to younger kids, as his social development is well behind his cognitive level. I don't want to pay retail for multiple levels, hence my search for inexpensive earlier editions. A particular question l have is, which poetry volume should we start with in order not to miss anything? Btw, we will be using Mosdos press gold for literature. Any input from the experienced is appreciated!

I think Town is a good entry point.  Really, the material is reviewed in each level, only each successive level increase depth and detail.  However, if you are only going to do one year of MCT grammar for a high schooler I suggest The Magic Lens 1.  We used the writing books to get the big picture of what’s going on for Sentence, Paragraph, and essay levels, but used other things for the nuts and bolts of writing instruction. The writing instruction is very non-specific. Will that be a problem for your DS? It was for my kids, who needed more explicit instruction.

For poetry I say use whichever book you have, and your lit program will (probably? I am not too familiar with Mosdos) cover poetry well enough for someone who is not going into a writing or humanities field. Even Music of the Hemispheres is loaded with great learning.

If you are only going to do 1-2 years of vocabulary I’d do Caesar’s English.

Did you know they now have iBooks of many of the levels - they are interactive. And IIRC you wouldn’t need a teacher manual for them. Best wishes!

Targhee,

Thank you for your response. I'm not sure, until l look at it, if the writing instruction in MCT will work for my son or not. I'm disappointed to hear it is not more directive. The names of the levels led me to expect that they would build from teaching the writing of good sentences, to good paragraphs, then on to essays. I guess l will just have to look it over. Makes me glad l ordered used copies!