Menu

Amazon Prime People

Serenade

I gave up Prime several years ago. I didn’t order a lot, but it did use it very regularly, probably 5-7 orders a month. We live very rurally. But I have noticed since I gave it up that I spend much less-I guess  I ordered stuff that  I didn’t ‘need’ (and I’m a pretty mindful shopper).

Getting 5% back on stuff I didn’t need doesn’t save me anything. It costs me. Now  I try to buy more things used, reuse things I have, and if I need to order something, it’s often from Target where shipping is free with a Redcard, which is also free. 

• Like 1

We renewed in February but I plan to keep it. I order from Amazon constantly so what I save in shipping (and not having to worry that I have 35 dollars or more of amazon products in my cart) is completely worth it. We also use music and movies/shows frequently.  If I didn't shop Amazon so much I would definitely drop it. 

• Like 1

We’ve placed 47 orders so far in 2018 because it’s easier for me to shop at home and have things arrive here. Our town has a Walmart and that’s about it.  Dh likes Amazon music and we stream a bit, but Netflix is our main streaming tool. 

I’m not bailing on Prime.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2018 at 4:31 PM, Quill said:

Amazon Prime knows I’m thinking of breaking up with him, because when I just now dropped in, he reminded me of all he’s done for me in the past year. Apparently he has saved me $250+ on shipping and spared me 40 trips to the store. 

Manipulative bastard. 

LOL. Is there a place we can go to see our stats? I'd love to see them.

On 4/28/2018 at 4:25 PM, G5052 said:

It's still worth it to me, as is my Costco membership and membership for online grocery shopping.

I have somewhat limited shopping near me, although I'm thankful for a really good independent hardware store and a few chain stores. I buy most of my clothes there.

We recently moved, and I ordered all of the curtains through Amazon. Even though we returned some, it was very cost-effective. I told DD that I could do $20-30/window only, and we made that.

I stick Costco and Amazon in the same category too.  We're rural but within 15 minutes of any store to get something. I order regularly but not everything... I placed 94 orders in 2017, lol, and 27 so far this year, so that's 7ish each month?  

I find Amazon is the thing that keeps me out of specialty stores like pet stores, etc.  I don't like making special trips for a specific item so it's easy to wait two days and see my UPS man.

On 4/28/2018 at 3:30 PM, heartlikealion said:

I was talking more about friends/family that share account passwords and/or legitimate benefits. It’s well known that lots of people share accounts for Netflix and HBO Go. My inlaws pay for our prime and we watch some of the same paid movies on the account. This is probably only ethically ok when we are physically at their home logged in but I’m not really trying to state what is ethically ok— just reality. So Joe has an account for Prime. He shares this with his sister Sue. The rates go up $20. They split that $10/ea or whatever. Sue has Netflix and Joe has her password. Barney has Hulu and gave his password to Joe. Joe lets Barney ship packages via his account, maybe Joe has to do the ordering. Just all kinds of scenaros like this are taking place. 

It's weird. I've always kind of frowned on people using another person's Amazon.  It feels like someone who wants the perks with non of the outlay - BUT I heard on the radio the other day that you can *legit* share an Amazon account with one other person/household.  Who knew? 

I get a student rate right now anyway so I'm the very last person to whine. ?  But, we use Prime streaming about as much as Netflix.  We pay like $10ish each month for Netflix ALONE and they give me no benefit except streaming.  Compare that to Amazon who sends me all the things for two day shipping free?  I get a FAR better deal at Amazon.

• Like 1

I know that I'm supposed to hate Amazon, especially since I've worked at bookstores, including one that has since shut down, for multiple reasons but a big one being Amazon....but I still love it. Not especially for books--I tend to check my library, my local bookstores, and Better World Books before Amazon--but for all of the random stuff that one needs for life that necessitates going to a million stores for one thing each. Ordering online is orders of magnitude easier than dragging my kids into 27 stores for one thing. And we love Amazon music. Yeah, the interface stinks, but we're in the car a lot and having a variety of music keeps us sane. 

1 hour ago, BlsdMama said:

LOL. Is there a place we can go to see our stats? I'd love to see them.

It's weird. I've always kind of frowned on people using another person's Amazon.  It feels like someone who wants the perks with non of the outlay - BUT I heard on the radio the other day that you can *legit* share an Amazon account with one other person/household.  Who knew?

Amazon order history report.  you can select by day/month/year

share your prime account - will allow you to share with up to four other people.  Now I'm also seeing a "household" account.  where everyone is supposed to be under the same roof with the  same household members.   I think the "household account" set up is new, and I wonder if they'll get rid of the "share your account".  

I looked up mine 'sharing' again - and found out 2dd is still on my account.  she'd been there as a student - because she never had a student account.  my son's aren't teens, they live at home, are students, and could get a student account - but they're on mine.

On 4/28/2018 at 5:31 PM,  Quill said: 

Amazon Prime knows I’m thinking of breaking up with him, because when I just now dropped in, he reminded me of all he’s done for me in the past year. Apparently he has saved me $250+ on shipping and spared me 40 trips to the store. 

Manipulative bastard. 

LOL. Is there a place we can go to see our stats? I'd love to see them.

I went to “Your Account,” and then, “Your Prime,” because I wanted to see when it renews. I looked it up and then left wi5hout doing anything. When I logged back into Amazon, it popped up something like, “Your Prime membership has saved you $250+ on shipping and saved you 40trips to the store!” So I didn’t need to go searching for those stats. Presumably, it “saw” me looking at my membership and then that triggered whatever algorythm is in place to promise me it’s worth it. I guess. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Quill said:

I went to “Your Account,” and then, “Your Prime,” because I wanted to see when it renews. I looked it up and then left wi5hout doing anything. When I logged back into Amazon, it popped up something like, “Your Prime membership has saved you $250+ on shipping and saved you 40trips to the store!” So I didn’t need to go searching for those stats. Presumably, it “saw” me looking at my membership and then that triggered whatever algorythm is in place to promise me it’s worth it. I guess. 

then it must know I'm not going to break up with him -becasue I've been on that exact page three times in the last two days - as well as submitted a hefty order . . . and it hasn't reminded me of how much it's saved me . . . .

2 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

I have a legit shared account.  My friend has the main Amazon Prime account with all the bells and whistles.  As far as I know, I only get the free shipping part of the deal—so no movies or music or pictures, etc.  If I was supposed to get all the bells and whistles, then I’ve been missing out.  My dh and I don’t like to do things under the table so we made sure the deal was legit—that she could be the primary owner and share her free shipping with us.

Recently, Amazon gave us a couple of months access to their streaming, probably trying to lure us into getting our own Amazon Prime account.  It’s working.  I’ve gotten hooked on three different shows that Netflix doesn’t have on streaming.  Our free trial ends in June, and I know I won’t have been able to finish all three shows by then.  So...I might be super tempted to finally get our own Amazon Prime account because I just gotta know how those shows end!!

33 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

then it must know I'm not going to break up with him -becasue I've been on that exact page three times in the last two days - as well as submitted a hefty order . . . and it hasn't reminded me of how much it's saved me . . . .

It may be because I have barely used Amazon this year. Maybe they think I’ve lost that lovin’ feeling. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

I find Amazon is the thing that keeps me out of specialty stores like pet stores, etc.  I don't like making special trips for a specific item so it's easy to wait two days and see my UPS man.

Yes, when I look at my local spending, about 95% of it is things I need right then from the hardware store, drugstore, food, gas, car service, etc.

From Costco, I get frozen items, bulk vitamins/medicines, shampoo, canned goods, etc. So all bulk items that are stored and used over time.

The rest mostly comes from Amazon when it's not something I have to have immediately. It saves me so much time because I'd have to drive 30-45 minutes to get the majority of what I order there.

On 5/1/2018 at 5:38 AM, Ravin said:

It would have to go up a lot more than $20/yr for us to quit. 

I'm not even a Prime member and agree with this.  $1 + change per month?   Not even worth batting an eye at, IMO.  I'm probably going to sign up for my first year-long membership here in the next week or so.  I will use the movie streaming alot, but the free shipping will be nice, too. 

I was flipping through Prime movies last night and it seems that they have added quite a few new movies.  I feel a bit better about the increase if it will lead to better selections!  We watch TV through Netflix & Prime (or library DVDs), so I figure it's still saving me tons on cable/satellite. 

Even with the increase it's still a good value for me. We order a lot throughout the year, watch a lot of prime video and listen to prime music, although not as much as Pandora. I've often ordered with free next day shipping, which has come in handy with our business quite a bit. 

• Like 1