Menu

Amazon Prime People

Serenade

I just read that Prime is going up to $119 starting May 11.  Of course, my renewal is in June, so I get to be one of the lucky people to pay the higher rate right off the bat.   Does anybody know if there is a way to pay early?  I'm really bummed, because this happened to me last time, too. My membership was due right after the price hike.  

35 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I'm not sure, but I thought that if you renew before your anniversary date, it just adds the year to the end of what you already have.

I wonder if I should try this.  Although I'm not sure how to do it.  I just searched "renew prime membership" on Amazon, and I found a link to renew for $99.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_15?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=renew+prime+membership+account+now&sprefix=renew+prime+mem%2Caps%2C139&crid=69U1A9I6JQDC

However, when I clicked on it, I got this, which is not very useful

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Prime-One-Year-Membership/dp/B00EW0FYA0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524794897&sr=8-1&keywords=renew+prime+membership+account+now

Maybe it's because I'm not allowed to renew early...

An article I read specifically said current members who's membership expires after the price change will not be able to renew early.

I think our household will not be renewing. 2 day shipping is great and all but it isn't worth the price hike alone. And their streaming interface is so annoying that I generally only stream using Netflix.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

An article I read specifically said current members who's membership expires after the price change will not be able to renew early.

That's a bummer.  I'm jealous of all the people who get to renew for $99 right before the price hike. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Ours renews next week so we get one more year at the $99 price. It's funny that they didn't raise the cost for something like 10 years and now it seems it's going to be regular thing. 

They wanted us all to become really used to it, and then bam. :angry:

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Given that a bunch of people share accounts, maybe they figure what's another $19? You can share the shipping benefits with someone. I don't remember how it works, but ours is set up that way somehow.

sharing "benefits"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200444180

prime household - https://www.amazon.com/myh/households

I have dh and 1 & 2 dss on my account.   1dd had been on it - but only one person get's access to amazon prime streaming and she moved out. 

huh . . . anyone have experience with "prime photos"? unlimited storage.  I like the idea of getting everything in the cloud.  I can access it from anywhere - and I dont' have to worry about something happening to my laptop.

-apparently amazon does have a "fb" type forum - for gamers.  it's called amazon twitch.

• Like 1

We won't be renewing because we really don't use any of the services and I tend to buy used books from 3rd party sellers.  Shipping to our place is not faster with Prime and offers like Prime pantry, Fresh and delivery are not available here anyways.

• Like 1

I was thinking of quitting Prime, so perhaps I will do so. I only use it for 2-day shipping, but I could live without it. If arrives an instance I have to expedite shipping, it will not be $120. I don’t use any other Prime services. 

• Like 1

My family’s usage of Prime Music alone is worth the cost even with the price increase. I’m sure there is a point at which it will make sense to cancel, but $119 isn’t that point for me. I suspect that Amazon adding on other services to the membership has to contribute to the increase.

• Like 6

I don't think it's worth it for shipping, but photo storage + streaming video + streaming music + subscribe & save + the 5% credit card altogether make it pretty good.
I just checked, I'll renew in Feb. Yay.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mamaraby said:

My family’s usage of Prime Music alone is worth the cost even with the price increase. I’m sure there is a point at which it will make sense to cancel, but $119 isn’t that point for me. I suspect that Amazon adding on other services to the membership has to contribute to the increase.

Some of the Prime Original tv is really good (kids stuff). That adds to the cost, making their own content. 

• Like 2

We get A LOT out of prime. The free shipping is great when overseas. Granted, we don’t get prime TV and movies because of location restrictions but we will when we get back. I love being able to check out/return trashy romance novels for free and having access to cheap goods is great. D'you know how hard it is to find masa in the Middle East?!  We def. get our money’s worth. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Eliana said:

I am really loving the prime photos.  Dh and I both have the app so all the photos we take (or that get sent to us via text messaging or WhatsApp, etc) get automatically uploaded to the cloud.  I lost a lot of photos when my old phone died and appreciate the automatic backups this offers.

My favorite Prime benefit, however, is Prime Now which offers same day delivery, and includes many grocery and household items.  It has made life with one car and chronic illness a tony bit easier and has saved gas money for those times when I discover we've gone from 2 full gallons of milk to none, or that someone accidentally snacked on things someone else needed for their lunch the next day. 

thanks.

I'll have to compare it to dropbox.   I'm already paying for prime . . . .

I spend so much on amazon - I got their visa card for 5% back.  it more than pays for itself.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

We got it and use it a lot; in the past, free shipping easily paid for the membership...

But im wondering now is everyone pretty much gets free shipping.   I’ve started watching more closely and it seems like the free shipping  often means the product is more expensive...by about the same amount as the cost of shipping.  ? Two-day shipping is nice but not really essential. That said, I just got three jars of the skin goop I use, delivered to my door for free, at a price 25% less than the cheapest local store, so I won on time, cost of product, and cost of acquisition (no gas used). 

I know we will sign up again because dh likes the streaming much better than Netflix’.  And I didn’t know about the photo storage.   That would save me some money at Apple.  ($36 a year—whoopee!)

in case this enters into anyone’s decision—TMobile will “pay” for your Netflix subscription, at least on some contracts.   We did that and that saved me $120+ a year.   Dh loathes Netflix tho, and would not pay actual money for it anymore.  

We’ve also quit Hulu in the past 6 months. And we sincerely regret giving away our DVDs because we thought they were streamed.  They WERE—but most  have been cut from the streaming library, or are abridged in egregious, plot/character-altering ways.  

Rant over. Thank you for the info upthread on account sharing. 

you also didn't spend the time driving to the store.  walking around the store - or standing in the checkout line.  then loading your car and putting the cart in the cart corral.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Eliana said:

My favorite Prime benefit, however, is Prime Now which offers same day delivery, and includes many grocery and household items.  It has made life with one car and chronic illness a tony bit easier and has saved gas money for those times when I discover we've gone from 2 full gallons of milk to none, or that someone accidentally snacked on things someone else needed for their lunch the next day. 

I wish we got Prime Now.  If I lived in my old house a half hour away, I'd get it.  However, I doubt it will ever come to the small town I now live in.

One weird thing I've experienced with Prime is that Prime won't allow me to buy all products advertised as Prime.  It makes me feel like a sub-Prime member, lol.  For instance, a couple of weeks ago Amazon advertised the new Bubly brand sparkling water on the home page.  I tried to buy it, but they won't deliver it here, no explanation as to why.  This has happened to me several times, usually with beverages.  These same beverages are usually available locally, so it's not like they can't be delivered to my area, KWIM?  I've tried to talk to customer service, but I basically get blown off by the customer service center located offshore.  I asked to know the reason why, but no response.  So I'm paying for Prime, but I can't get all Prime products.  And it's not like I'm in an off-the-beaten track or anything.  I've had all kinds of weird things delivered here, but I have a problem with beverage deliveries.  I feel that Prime should be upfront about this, that all Prime members can't get all Prime products. Has anybody else had this problem?

15 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

We get A LOT out of prime. The free shipping is great when overseas. Granted, we don’t get prime TV and movies because of location restrictions but we will when we get back. I love being able to check out/return trashy romance novels for free and having access to cheap goods is great. D'you know how hard it is to find masa in the Middle East?!  We def. get our money’s worth. 

I saw masa harina in the grocery store once here.  It cost about five times as much as it would have in the US.

32 minutes ago, Amira said:

I saw masa harina in the grocery store once here.  It cost about five times as much as it would have in the US.

Yep. We had a group event last week where someone brought fried plantains. I’m still in shock. I haven’t seen one in two years.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, poppy said:

I don't think it's worth it for shipping, but photo storage + streaming video + streaming music + subscribe & save + the 5% credit card altogether make it pretty good.
I just checked, I'll renew in Feb. Yay.

I did not know I could use it for photo storage. How does that work?

34 minutes ago, frugalmamatx said:

Don't forget if you get some types of assistance - you can get prime for $6 a month. I think it's SNAP, Medicaid, and maybe WIC? 

It's been a god-send for us. Anything heavy - I get shipped or primenow. We stream a ton. 

so -$72 a year.

college students can get it very cheap too.

44 minutes ago, frugalmamatx said:

Don't forget if you get some types of assistance - you can get prime for $6 a month. I think it's SNAP, Medicaid, and maybe WIC? 

It's been a god-send for us. Anything heavy - I get shipped or primenow. We stream a ton. 

How does one find out about this?

2 hours ago, Janeway said:

I did not know I could use it for photo storage. How does that work?

Unlimited cloud storage including RAW files. There is a desktop app to make upload easy.
You can get a photo storage plan only, it's $12 for 100 GB,

I'm saying this as someone who gets another year at the $99 dollar price but we'll most likely still keep it next year. We stream Prime videos all the time and don't have any issues with it. All three of us use Prime Music, we order a lot so the two day shipping is great. I haven't looked into the photo service but I should. If we used it for just videos that would be less than $10 a month but video (with a good amount of original content) plus music plus shipping, plus photos if we start using that service, etc. I don't like price hikes but still think it's totally worth it for us. YMMV.

• Like 1

It's still worth it to me, as is my Costco membership and membership for online grocery shopping.

I have somewhat limited shopping near me, although I'm thankful for a really good independent hardware store and a few chain stores. I buy most of my clothes there.

We recently moved, and I ordered all of the curtains through Amazon. Even though we returned some, it was very cost-effective. I told DD that I could do $20-30/window only, and we made that.

• Like 2

Amazon Prime knows I’m thinking of breaking up with him, because when I just now dropped in, he reminded me of all he’s done for me in the past year. Apparently he has saved me $250+ on shipping and spared me 40 trips to the store. 

Manipulative bastard. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 14

22 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

thanks.

I'll have to compare it to dropbox.   I'm already paying for prime . . . .

I spend so much on amazon - I got their visa card for 5% back.  it more than pays for itself.

This. We use our Amazon card as our main card and pay it off every month. $20 isn't even close to the amount of points I've saved up just since Christmas.

• Like 2