Menu

EMF Math courses vs. AoPS

whangty

Hello, was just wondering if anyone has had experiences with EMF math courses (https://www.elementsofmathematics.com/).

It seems that these courses are comparable to AoPS classes in rigor and depth, but different in that they are entirely self-study.  

Would love to hear your experience on EMF, esp. how it compares to AoPS classes.   Thx. a ton in advance!

I have the same question.  I know someone here had a kid who prefers them.  I love the look of AOPS PA but we can't afford the courses and I think right now ds11 might be somewhere between me teaching him and self teaching.  He did the test as scored well so I am thinking of buying the first course while it is on special.

Hi Lewelma.  I have the book - I purchased the textbook and ebook combo.  The problem is getting a routine.  The school after a lot of talk decided giving ds11 and another kid a year 9 workbook was adequate extension so I have to do something.  Am thinking of keeping him home an extra hour 2 days a week to see what happens.

On 4/30/2018 at 6:33 PM, lewelma said:

I'd like to keep the books in NZ.  Shipping them here is crazy expensive, so would love to share them with other kiwis.  

There are a couple of other people round who are about ready.  Thanks for the offer though.  We did start today though.  We had done most of chapter one twice already so we started at chapter 2 but we are going to go over the videos and start alcamus for chapter one over the next few weeks.  He did well and I managed to have ds8 do his maths at the same time.