Menu

FAFSA question

edelweiss

If you are certain that your child will not qualify for any needs-based aid, is it even necessary to fill out the FAFSA? Is there some reason that we should do it anyway? Would the student still potentially qualify for merit-aid without having a FAFSA on file?

Thanks!

• Like 2

MANY many colleges require the FAFSA before they will even look at your student to award scholarships, so yes absolutely it is a very good idea to fill it out even if you "know" you won't qualify. Your student will miss out on merit aid if the school requires a FAFSA and you didn't file it. Also, some schools have a higher figure than the FAFSA for need-based, but the school still requires the FAFSA for awarding any aid, so your student may actually miss out on possible need-based aid by not filling out the FAFSA.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

MANY many colleges require the FAFSA before they will even look at your student to award scholarships, so yes absolutely it is a very good idea to fill it out even if you "know" you won't qualify. Your student will miss out on merit aid if the school requires a FAFSA and you didn't file it. Also, some schools have a higher figure than the FAFSA for need-based, but the school still requires the FAFSA for awarding any aid, so your student may actually miss out on possible need-based aid by not filling out the FAFSA.

Thank you! That is exactly what I needed to know.  I will be sure to fill it out then.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lori D. said:

I know it's a pain and it's invasive, but it is the unfortunate hoop we have to jump to get aid... :(

I hadn't planned to fill it out because I am certain that we won't qualify for need-based aid, and I am skeptical that DD will be awarded any merit aid.  I guess it is possible that she might get some merit-aid though, so I would hate to miss out on any way to reduce our tuition bill! 

• Like 1

I remember 8FilltheHeart saying one of her kids missed out on merit money because they didn't fill out the FAFSA. Some schools don't require it for merit aid, but some do.

We'll be in the no-aid but wanting merit category next year, too.

• Like 1

Here's what I can come up with

1. If you need any federal student loans, you must fill out the FAFSA

2. If you don't qualify for federal student aid, the data on the FAFSA may still qualify you for institutional aid

3. If a college is need-aware and you are full pay, the FAFSA can increase your admissions chances 

• Like 5

None of ds’s schools required the FAFSA in order to receive merit aid, though he applied four years ago.  I called every single one he applied to to make sure.  However, it was required by our state in order to receive the lottery scholarship the state offered.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hoggirl said:

None of ds’s schools required the FAFSA in order to receive merit aid, though he applied four years ago.  I called every single one he applied to to make sure.  

Same here - although I emailed instead of calling :biggrin:. While I regularly hear that schools require the FAFSA for all students, we didn't find it to be true. My advice if you are well aware you aren't going to qualify for need based aid is to check with the school. You could save some time/effort.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

One of my kids has a leadership scholarship.  It requires the FAFSA every year.  

Thanks Sebastian, that is also a good reminder: some schools require a new FAFSA every year in order to renew the scholarship. That was not the case at DS's school, but OP, if your student lands a scholarship, *definitely* find out if you need to keep filing FAFSA every year so you don't lose the scholarship!

• Like 2