Menu

What would you serve with taco pie?

Women’s retreat. I’m making a taco pie, heavy on burger,  cheese, cream and eggs for lunch . There will be decent breakfasts, and large dinner as well. 

Sides  , I am bringing , sour cream, guacamole, corn chips and salsa. 

Anything else sound good or is this enough? 

No dessert required.

I don't know what taco pie is (sounds yummy though!) but it sounds like you need some vegetables. My suggestion is a big green salad. Also that would allow those who eat lighter to make the salad their main dish. Maybe a bowl of whole fruits (apples and clementines) as well.

• Like 4

If you are providing the entire meal, I think you should include a vegetable as well. A salad or veggie tray are always nice. Corn goes well with taco pie, but it is another carb, so something green might be better. Roasted broccoli is easy and delicious.

• Like 1

8 women scrap booking weekend. Everyone brings one meal. There will be no lack of food.

I am eating low carb, no one else is. So I have to bring 4 meals for myself besides this one I am cooking for the group. So not feeling particularly like hauling more food. I just want you all to tell me it’s enough. lol

9 minutes ago, KatieinMich said:

8 women scrapbooking weekend. Everyone brings one meal. There will be no lack,of food.

I a, eating low carb, no one else is. So,I have to bring 4 meals for myself besides this one I am cooking for the group. So not feeling particularly like hauling more food. I just want you all to tell me it’s enough. ??

8 women for a scrapbooking weekend?  Well I could tell you that it’s enough food, but.....

I think you need more.  Maybe a veggie tray, and some corn muffins.  

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Stopping in to ask for a taco pie recipe.  I’ve never heard of it, but it sounds yummy.

I think you need fresh greens to go with it as well.

P1050889.jpg

Low Carb Taco Pie
adapted from All Day I Dream About Food

1 cup chopped bell pepper (I used a mixture of yellow and green)
1 small onion, chopped
1 lb. ground beef or turkey
3 tbs. homemade taco seasoning (or 1/2 packet)
3/4 cup tomato sauce or water
6 eggs
1 cup coconut milk
3 minced garlic cloves
salt & pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar

Preheat oven to 350 and grease a pie plate.

Saute pepper and onion in a little olive oil until soft. Add ground meat and cook until no longer pink, breaking up with a wooden spoon.

Add tomato sauce and seasoning and reduce heat, simmering until the mixture has thickened up. Stir occasionally.

While meat mixture is reducing, combine eggs, coconut milk, garlic and salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir with a whisk.

Spread meat mixture over the pie plate, then pour egg mixture on top. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until the center is set.

34 minutes ago, Spryte said:

• Like 1

I was thinking this recipe was going to be like in a casserole dish.  I don’t think it’s big enough to feed everyone.  I make a similar type of pie for lunch sometimes, but I cut it into 6 pieces, because 8 makes for some really small slices.  And even then, DH eats 2

1 hour ago, KatieinMich said:

Women’s retreat. I’m making a taco pie, heavy on burger,  cheese, cream and eggs for lunch . There will be decent breakfasts, and large dinner as well. 

Sides  , I am bringing , sour cream, guacamole, corn chips and salsa. 

Anything else sound good or is this enough? 

No dessert required.

There might be people who couldn't eat such a heavy, fatty dish that is high sodium, with salty chips and sour cream on the side, and the only vegetables being the salsa and guacamole. (Salsa = more salt, guac = more salt and fat, unless you're making a fresh avocado salad without oil.)

I agree with those who say to bring a big salad, so those who would only want a very small portion of meat/eggs/cheese could have more salad, and also some fruit and bread of some kind.

This is a low carb dieter's lunch, as it is, and you say you are the only low carber attending.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I was thinking this recipe was going to be like in a casserole dish.  I don’t think it’s big enough to feed everyone.  I make a similar type of pie for lunch sometimes, but I cut it into 6 pieces, because 8 makes for some really small slices.  And even then, DH eats 2

I will double  the recipe. 

12 minutes ago, Tibbie Dunbar said:

There might be people who couldn't eat such a heavy, fatty dish that is high sodium, with salty chips and sour cream on the side, and the only vegetables being the salsa and guacamole. (Salsa = more salt, guac = more salt and fat, unless you're making a fresh avocado salad without oil.)

I agree with those who say to bring a big salad, so those who would only want a very small portion of meat/eggs/cheese could have more salad, and also some fruit and bread of some kind.

This is a low carb dieter's lunch, as it is, and you say you are the only low carber attending.

I will be making a salad, or at least a large vegggie tray. 

Thanks for the input all.

Sliced strawberries (sugar and balsamic vinegar) or cut-up watermelon are my go-to sides when I don’t want to cook or assemble a salad.  Probably too early for decent watermelon, but it might be prime strawberry season.

• Like 3

Nothing. That's enough.

I've been on those type of retreats ... there will be too much food to begin with and leftover fruit from breakfast for any of the "healthy" eaters.