Menu

SAT Prep in summer

Rising junior and it's time for SAT Prep. He will be taking the PSAT and SAT in the Fall (Oct/Nov). He's been scoring well on PSAT (1400 last time), so could be in running for NMSF. We have all summer to prep. What should we do? Please advise! Love to get a super strong score first go-around for SAT in the fall.

Thanks!

Khan Academy first. You can schedule practice, including how often to practice test. (Print them out, take them on paper, then put the answers into Khan so it will customize the practice.)

If needed after that, Erica Metzler books for EBRW and a SAT math book (can't remember what people recommend-  PWN the SAT? Panda something?). (Dd#1 had no luck with Erica Metzler book, but some people swear by her stuff. We never used a math prep book.)

Eta: wanted to PM you about something but WTM says you can't get PMs. Is your inbox full?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

Is anyone concerned about the writing portion of the SAT? Not being snarky. . . honestly asking.

Alley

Yes!  I am very concerned.  Dd is a very strong writer, but she's never done a timed essay and it is something we'll have to practice.  She's very slow and methodical so this will be a challenge for her.  

ETA - hopefully, she won't use the word "very" three times in three sentences like I just did!  ?

• Like 1

We skipped the writing portion of both the ACt and SAT. Most schools no longer require it though you will see some that take it into consideration.

From what I have read, no school will keep your kid out just for a bad score on the writing portion.

• Like 2

If he reads below 500 WPM silent reading speed, my syllables program and extra nonsense word fluency practice may improve his reading speed, which will give more time to think about each question, especially in the reading based sections but also a tiny bit in math.  My syllables program has a silent reading speed test linked near the bottom is the test section.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rootann - I erased a couple PMs...

Thanks for all the tips! Anyone with any experience with any of the online prep courses? I'm wondering if a course would give lots of bang for the buck. We feel very strongly that we need to get tippy-top scores, and that my ds is capable, but will need prep to get there. 

Does anyone know of any online prep they can recommend/or not recommend? Or is Khan Academy/various prep books sufficient prep?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mirabillis said:

Does anyone know of any online prep they can recommend/or not recommend? Or is Khan Academy/various prep books sufficient prep?

I would start with Khan and see how it goes before putting a lot of money into something else. Our plan with DS was that he'd do Khan and give it a shot (spring of Junior year) and then work more intensively on any weak spots, and he could retake fall of Senior year. We paid for the service where you get your questions and answers back with the score report so we could see exactly what to work on. But then he ended up doing very well on the March test and won't take it again unless he decides to apply somewhere that requires the essay (which he almost did, but canceled at the last second because he hadn't prepared for it much. Turns out he should have just gone ahead with it). He did Khan academy almost daily (it's just a few minutes a day mostly, except when they have you do practice tests) starting in October or November to get ready for the March test and that ended up being plenty of prep for him. But he tests well and he was super diligent about doing the Khan practice every day without me having to stay on him about it. 

• Like 3

Lots of practice tests will be helpful, be it from the College Board books or some other format. We don't have experience with Khan, but I did recommend it to someone who ended up with an exceptionally high SAT score. My NMS used College Board books and Prep Scholar. I'm not sure that Prep Scholar was worth the extra expense, but she did quite well.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 10:55 AM, historymatters said:

Can you comment on your experience with any of the 3 below please?

You can use ReasonPrep, or a 2-week class by Amanda Fletcher (she used to teach SAT/ACT prep w/Landry), or a semester-long class.

https://reasonprep.com

Amanda Fletcher (multiple dates):

https://amandafletchertest.wixsite.com/satact

The Potter's School has a summer SAT prep course.

https://www.pottersschool.org/course/list/#course-3617

On 5/1/2018 at 7:52 AM, RootAnn said:

If needed after that, Erica Metzler books for EBRW and a SAT math book (can't remember what people recommend-  PWN the SAT? Panda something?). (Dd#1 had no luck with Erica Metzler book, but some people swear by her stuff. We never used a math prep book.)

What is EBRW? Erica Metzler has quite a few books on Amazon. Are you referring to reading or grammar?

6 hours ago, DocMom said:

What is EBRW? Erica Metzler has quite a few books on Amazon. Are you referring to reading or grammar?

Evidence-Based Reading and Writing. The non- math potion of the SAT. There are two "English" sections. You use the Mezler book you think you need based on your practice tests. There is some overlap between them. I'm not sure how much help the vocab book is. The reading one is the one my DD did not resonate with. I agree she has a lot of books out there.

• Thanks 1

DD used KhanAcademy which is free and  has an official tie-in with the CollegeBoard. She is studying as I write this, so I cannot ask her if she used anything else. She took the PSAT/NMSQT last October and she took the SAT 2 days ago.

Note: If your DC qualifies for what the CollegeBoard considers "Hispanic" the PSAT/NMSQT is also the test for the National Hispanic Recognition Program. My DD qualified for that, which is an Academic Honor and hopefully will be "a plus" on her university applications. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 11:55 AM, historymatters said:

You can use ReasonPrep, or a 2-week class by Amanda Fletcher (she used to teach SAT/ACT prep w/Landry), or a semester-long class.

https://reasonprep.com

Amanda Fletcher (multiple dates):

https://amandafletchertest.wixsite.com/satact

The Potter's School has a summer SAT prep course.

https://www.pottersschool.org/course/list/#course-3617

I haven't used these yet; I will be in the spring of 2019. 

I found out about ReasonPrep on this forum. If you do a search, you'll likely find info about it.

Amanda Fletcher used to teach this subject with Landry. I found out about her on a FB page I follow. There she advertises and those who had taken her previous class have testified to its usefulness.

I just found out about TPS.