Menu

Bright and Quirky Kids - Free online conference

I don't have a 2e kid, but I saw this available today.

Free online summit "Bright and Quirky" kids. This is aimed at parenting the 2E population. Sessions are free for 24 hours. April 25-30.

Being 2e means that you have two (or more) exceptions to the ‘norm.’ Most commonly this means having high intellectual potential and one or more anomalies that make accessing that potential a unique endeavor. In the classic medical model, 2e kids often have symptoms of diagnoses such as ADHD, learning disabilities like dyslexia, high functioning autism, anxiety, depression or oppositional defiant disorder.

The result is that a lot of kids feel like square pegs in round holes and feel stuck with a negative label which can lead to anxiety, irritability, frustration, negative self-concept and low self-esteem. For parents, this can lead to sleepless nights, second guessing, and feeling frustrated, overwhelmed, confused and alone.

• Like 3

Wow!

Thank you for posting this. I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

For others interested, there's free access to each day's content for 24hrs, as Calbear said, but there's also the option to purchase an All Access Pass. This is unlimited access plus some other bonus material, so that you don't have to watch it all within such a short time frame. I'm seriously considering this. The line-up looks amazing.

Also, there's an early bird price for the All Access Pass. The cut off for the cheaper price is April 24 11pm PDT. I'm off to Google what that means for me here in Australia!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Wow!

Thank you for posting this. I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

For others interested, there's free access to each day's content for 24hrs, as Calbear said, but there's also the option to purchase an All Access Pass. This this unlimited access plus some other bonus material, so that you don't have to watch it all within such a short time frame. I'm seriously considering this. The line-up looks amazing.

Also, there's an early bird price for the All Access Pass. The cut off for the cheaper price is April 24 11pm PDT. I'm off to Google what that means for me here in Australia!

I agree. This looks great.

ETA: After reading the descriptions again, we went ahead and got the all-access pass. I feel like I could watch it and get what I could out of it now, with my two definitively 2E kids now, but I have no idea what issues might be relevant for me in a year or two, since I have two more young kids who may or may not join the 2E ranks! lol. 

Thanks so much, Calbear, for posting this!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, 4KookieKids said:

I agree. This looks great.

ETA: After reading the descriptions again, we went ahead and got the all-access pass. I feel like I could watch it and get what I could out of it now, with my two definitively 2E kids now, but I have no idea what issues might be relevant for me in a year or two, since I have two more young kids who may or may not join the 2E ranks! lol. 

Thanks so much, Calbear, for posting this!

I went with the all-access pass too. After pondering the cost a bit, I realised that it is a really good deal and I want access to all that info for the long-term. I really like the idea of the written transcripts too.

Maybe we can debrief when it's done and compare notes. I'm always looking for more info and more tools for my parenting toolbox.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

There is a sweetness to him. He comes across as genuine and pure.

I hope I don't bore everyone with my blow-by-blow commentary on this summit.

Yeah, I'm glad I purchased the pass, because there's no way I can listen to each days videos within 24 hours, but I've liked each one I've watched so far and I wouldn't want to miss any so far!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Runningmom80 said:

Did anyone look into the "menu" curriculum that Jade Rivera mentioned?  I am trying to figure out if it's adaptable for one child. 

I haven't made it to there yet.

I've so far listened to the first two: Scott Kaufman and Dan Peters.

What's the menu curriculum? Can you give us a sneak preview?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I haven't made it to there yet.

I've so far listened to the first two: Scott Kaufman and Dan Peters.

What's the menu curriculum? Can you give us a sneak preview?

Basically it's menus that the let kids choose what they are going to learn. (This was how I understood it, I could be mistaken!)

I ended up buying the pass too because I didn't think I could watch all of them in time and also absorb the information. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

That sounds a bit like what I do with my daughter. I'm looking forward to listening to that one.

It also sounds a bit upper-primary Montessori-inspired perhaps? I wonder if she has a Montessori background.

She does have Montessori training!

we have a lovely Montessori HS here, I so wish it was an option. :(

• Like 1

Austina De Bonte - her graph related to brain cortex development and its relation to executive function - interesting theory!

And I think I need to re-listen to her talk about perfectionism and the different flavours that it can present as. It was so so so relatable that I don't think I could take it all in. I was too busy nodding along :)

• Like 3

Ahhh. So much good stuff. I actually stopped listening for now, because I talked with my husband about it, and we decided it would be best for us to just listen to them together and discuss. So we’re probably just going to listen to one or two each week for the next however many months . :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

After listening to Ross Greene, I'm motivated to give his book The Explosive Child another try.

When I first read it a couple of years ago, I found it felt too prescriptive. But after listening to him speak, I'm ready to re-read it with fresh eyes and an open mind.

I read that just in the last month! I felt like I already *mostly* did what they talked about doing, but it really encouraged me to try to shore up the times when I was falling back onto me prescribing solutions! :)

• Like 1

There's been an extension of free access to the summit talks:

All talks will be available from now until 11pm PDT Wednesday.

BRIGHT & QUIRKY CHILD SUMMIT SCHEDULE 

DAY 1: HELPING YOUR BRIGHT & QUIRKY CHILD THRIVE

• The (2e) Recipe for Personal Greatness, Scott Barry Kaufman, PhD
  • How to Identify What’s Going on with a 2e Child, Dan Peters, PhD
  • Turning ADHD into a Child’s Greatest Asset, Ned Hallowell, MD
  • What Parents Need to Know about Gifted Kids, Austina De Bonte

DAY 2: MANAGING ANGER, INTENSITY, AND BEHAVIOR

• Transform Anger and Yelling into Peace, Laura Markham, PhD
  • How to Help Kids Access Their Yes! Brain, Tina Payne Bryson, PhD
  • Team with Your Child to Solve Challenging Behaviors, Ross Greene, PhD

DAY 3: NAVIGATING SCHOOL AND LEARNING CHALLENGES

• When It’s Hard to Learn, Here’s How to Learn, Barb Oakley, PhD
  • Sparking Learning in a 2e Child, Susan Baum, PhD
  • Keeping the Light in Their Eyes, Robin Schader, PhD
  • Navigating Life with a Differently Wired Child, Debbie Reber
  • Unconventional School Options for Neurodivergent Learners, Jade Rivera

DAY 4: STRATEGIES FOR MOTIVATION AND ORGANIZATION

• Executive Function Masterclass – Part I, Seth Perler
  • Executive Function Masterclass – Part II, Seth Perler
  • How to Find Strategies that Work for Your Brain, Jessica McCabe
  • Life Hacks for Driving a Faster Than Normal Brain, Peter Shankman
  • A Plan for Emergency Academic Recovery, Rebecca Shafir

DAY 5: IDEAS FOR ANXIETY AND SOCIAL QUIRKINESS

• Helping Kids Become Social Thinkers (aka How to Make a Friend), Michelle Garcia Winner, SLP
  • Helpful Hints for Kids on the Spectrum, Temple Grandin, PhD
  • Life Hacks for Thriving with Aspergers/ASD, Danny Raede
  • How to Turn Your Worrier into a Warrior, Dan Peters, PhD
  • Fostering Resilience for Kids with Anxiety, Sharon Saline, PsyD

DAY 6: BALANCING SCREENS & VIDEO GAME USE

• How Families Can Balance Digital Media & Real Life, Anya Kamentz
  • A Common Sense Approach to 2e Kids’ Online World, Christine Elgersma
  • Like 2

I've only made it through Day 1 and Day 2 so far.

ADHD isn't really on my radar, so those ones weren't as powerful to me as some others, but it depends on your children and their flavour of 2e-ness, I guess. I'm itching to get to the anxiety talks, which are our 2e flavour.

I really liked Austina De Bonte (from Day 1) and also Tina Payne Bryson (from Day 2).

Maybe because it's so fresh in my mind, I'd suggest heading straight into Tina's. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I should have seen this post earlier. I have a quirky kid, but she is my oldest, not a kid any more. Still, I love Barbara Oakley, and I just discovered Scott Barry Kaufman. I was just listening to some of his talks today. Anyway, did anyone listen to any of the speakers regarding organization and or anxiety? These were always my daughter's areas of struggle.