Menu

What do you think they will name the newborn prince?

Chris in VA

I am also much more sympathetic to Charles after watching The Crown and then doing some subsequent reading and research.  I really don't think that royal family road is an easy one.  Although, I do think this younger generation has not been as limited in their options and seem to be doing well.  It seems like William and Kate are actually parenting their own kids.  

I recognized the Mountbatten connection right away.  :wub:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I am also much more sympathetic to Charles after watching The Crown and then doing some subsequent reading and research.  I really don't think that royal family road is an easy one.  Although, I do think this younger generation has not been as limited in their options and seem to be doing well.  It seems like William and Kate are actually parenting their own kids.  

I recognized the Mountbatten connection right away.  :wub:

I know this goes back another generation - but someone asked colin firth about  trading places with george vi -  after getting a fairly good idea about what life was really like in that inner circle - "absolutely not".

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I know this goes back another generation - but someone asked colin firth about  trading places with george vi -  after getting a fairly good idea about what life was really like in that inner circle - "absolutely not".

I saw a clip when a reporter commented to Harry that he was another step down in line for the throne and he laughed and said, 'Good.'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

But he's not part of the English royal line. Well, he is distantly but it's hard to find European royalty not related to Queen Victoria. Anyway, the name seems like it honors both Charles and Phillip because they were both very close to Mountbatten. I remember when he was killed and the news even in the U.S. talked about how close he and Charles were. He was like a father figure to Phillip and pushed for the Phillip/Elizabeth relationship but he was also Charles' favorite uncle. Much is made of how William and Harry felt about their mother and how they miss her, but every now and then something happens or comes to the spotlight that shows they genuinely care for their father too. Maybe Charles isn't as cold in private as he seems in public.

I thought Arthur, the uncle murdered by the IRA in 1979 was Charles's favorite.

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

I thought Arthur, the uncle murdered by the IRA in 1979 was Charles's favorite.

philip's and charles's favorite uncle -was Lord Louis Mountbatten.   aka: dickie.

he along with one of his 14yr old twin grandsons, his daughter's mil, and a 15year old boy were all killed by the IRA.   his daughter and her husband - along with the other 14 year old twin grandson were seriously injured.

the surviving twin made a statement a few years back about what how devastating the loss of his twin was to him.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I saw a clip when a reporter commented to Harry that he was another step down in line for the throne and he laughed and said, 'Good.'

Right?  Being a royal or any other kind of famous or any other kind of public figure sounds like the inner most circle of hell to me. No thanks with a hearty hell no and praise heaven would be my reaction. 

• Like 4

So apparently he really was named Louis in part to honor Mountbatten as well as Charles, who was  close to him. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43922335

Louis is one of the middle names of Prince William and of the new prince's brother, George.

It was also the first name of Lord Mountbatten - his great-great-great uncle - who was killed by the IRA in 1979.

Lord Mountbatten had a strong influence in the upbringing of great-nephew Prince Charles and was described by the latter as "the grandfather I never had".

It's very much an acknowledgement of a wider heritage," Dr Rowbotham said, adding that it is also "very much an affectionate tribute" to the Prince of Wales, who was "deeply devoted" to Lord Mountbatten.

• Like 3

I like Louis, and I'm glad it wasn't Albert!

But I think the tradition of giving more than one kid the same name, even in the middle, or in the opposite gender's form, is weird.

To me, if my first two kids were named George Alexander Louis, and Charlotte Elizabeth Diana, then George, Georgia, Alexander, Alexandra, Louis, Louise/a, Charlotte, Charles, Elizabeth, and Diana would all be off the list for # 3.  

Is it just me?

Note: I think differently if you're using the last name, or former last name, of one of parents for every kids' middle name, or if there's a family tradition like all the girls have the middle name of Anne. Or if you're from an entirely different culture with different naming rules.  But I'm as WASPY as QE2, so I feel comfortable judging that naming 2 of your 3 kids Louis is weird!

8 minutes ago, Daria said:

I like Louis, and I'm glad it wasn't Albert!

But I think the tradition of giving more than one kid the same name, even in the middle, or in the opposite gender's form, is weird.

To me, if my first two kids were named George Alexander Louis, and Charlotte Elizabeth Diana, then George, Georgia, Alexander, Alexandra, Louis, Louise/a, Charlotte, Charles, Elizabeth, and Diana would all be off the list for # 3.  

Is it just me?

Note: I think differently if you're using the last name, or former last name, of one of parents for every kids' middle name, or if there's a family tradition like all the girls have the middle name of Anne. Or if you're from an entirely different culture with different naming rules.  But I'm as WASPY as QE2, so I feel comfortable judging that naming 2 of your 3 kids Louis is weird!

You come from a royal culture?  They have different naming rules than the rest  of us. 

7 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I have always disliked Charles so much, but after watching some of The Crown I have developed a bit of sympathy for him.  Seeing him as a little boy I guess.  He was not the manly man Phillip was so I think that immediately put a distance between them....and then the whole royal thing from that time period...he really was neglected by his parents it seems.  When I was young and he and Camilla were breaking up the marriage I was so disgusted with him.  I felt like he should have married Camilla in the first place even if it meant he couldn't be King rather than marry someone he didn't really love (Diana) or if being King was so important to him he should have broke it off with Camilla completely and worked on his marriage.  Then when I was older and they let William marry a non royal and they even lived together before marriage.....I started thinking man what a rip off for Charles since they wouldn't let him marry Camilla.  And then again when I watched the Crown and saw how deeply the abdication affected Queen Elizabeth and the rest of the family I could see why and how it happened that when Charles married it was still too 'fresh' in the memory....and maybe it was more about not hurting his mother than it was not being King.

All of that to say, we never really know why people make the decisions they do.

Yes, times have changed for the royals as well albeit perhaps more slowly. I recall some unpleasant issue with the Queen's sister who wanted to marry someone and was not allowed to do so. I forgot if it was because he was a commoner or something else.

1 minute ago, Liz CA said:

Yes, times have changed for the royals as well albeit perhaps more slowly. I recall some unpleasant issue with the Queen's sister who wanted to marry someone and was not allowed to do so. I forgot if it was because he was a commoner or something else.

I think it was mostly because he was divorced.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

So apparently he really was named Louis in part to honor Mountbatten as well as Charles, who was  close to him. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43922335

Louis is one of the middle names of Prince William and of the new prince's brother, George.

It was also the first name of Lord Mountbatten - his great-great-great uncle - who was killed by the IRA in 1979.

Lord Mountbatten had a strong influence in the upbringing of great-nephew Prince Charles and was described by the latter as "the grandfather I never had".

It's very much an acknowledgement of a wider heritage," Dr Rowbotham said, adding that it is also "very much an affectionate tribute" to the Prince of Wales, who was "deeply devoted" to Lord Mountbatten.

Can you imagine how long it would take us if we all had to consider who was devoted to whom and who needs to be honored, and what other family names need to be included, etc.? Sometimes it's hard enough for two people to agree on just one name. :smile:

• Like 2

I had to laugh when I saw the news, because the royals and dh's family members share several of the same names, including this latest one. I told dh that the royals must be trying to copy his family - which is funny if you know them, because they are definitely not upper crust. More like the opposite of upper crust (lower crust?).:happy:

On 4/23/2018 at 5:05 PM, Annie G said:

No clue what the name might be but I gotta say, Kate walking out of the hospital looking that awesome only seven hours after giving birth is something. Sure she had a team to get her looking that great but after I gave birth no way could I have pulled that off even with her team.  A week later I was lucky to have brushed my hair, showered, and had clean sweatpants on. 

I hope it’s not Philip, as I just finished The Crown and I don’t like him much. 

I think I could walk out of the hospital looking pretty good if I had a team to fix me up and it was within the first day or so. I get a good kick of adrenaline or something that makes me feel pretty fabulous for about 18 hours- tired and sore, sure, but pretty awesome. Now, a week later? I'd be crashing and in 3 day old pajamas looking like a hag. Even 24-48hrs later and I'd be worse off from being up all night, blood loss, and trying to nurse. 

I can see why she'd want to go home.

I have no opinion on what they name their babies. 

14 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

Can you imagine how long it would take us if we all had to consider who was devoted to whom and who needs to be honored, and what other family names need to be included, etc.? Sometimes it's hard enough for two people to agree on just one name. :smile:

Exactly. Which is why we end up with Jayden Emmett. :biggrin:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

He was divorced.  At that time she was third in line.

She could have forfeited her perks like david, but she wanted her perks more than being mrs. Peter townsend.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paige said:

I think I could walk out of the hospital looking pretty good if I had a team to fix me up and it was within the first day or so. I get a good kick of adrenaline or something that makes me feel pretty fabulous for about 18 hours- tired and sore, sure, but pretty awesome. Now, a week later? I'd be crashing and in 3 day old pajamas looking like a hag. Even 24-48hrs later and I'd be worse off from being up all night, blood loss, and trying to nurse. 

I can see why she'd want to go home.

I have no opinion on what they name their babies. 

earlier in this thread  -- or another on the subject, it was reminded what happened when charolette was born**.  Apparently - they had to talk her into giving birth in a hospital..

and from the readings I've done - there is an "awake" period after birth for mom and baby to bond - then both will crash and want to sleep.

the austrailian djs practical joke and tricking a nurse into giving out information. the nurse was so mortified - she killed herself.