Menu

What do you think they will name the newborn prince?

Chris in VA

No clue what the name might be but I gotta say, Kate walking out of the hospital looking that awesome only seven hours after giving birth is something. Sure she had a team to get her looking that great but after I gave birth no way could I have pulled that off even with her team.  A week later I was lucky to have brushed my hair, showered, and had clean sweatpants on. 

I hope it’s not Philip, as I just finished The Crown and I don’t like him much. 

• Like 3

I read that Arthur is the odds-on favorite.

Their other two kids sure are cute. Little Charlotte waving from the hospital steps was adorable!

And yeah, I felt for Kate having to get gussied up and face the public just a few hours after labor. I can't even imagine doing that!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, klmama said:

Why did she leave so soon after giving birth?  Is that customary in the UK?  

I expect that security is more easily managed at their residence compared with a public hospital.  Since she most likely had a vaginal birth she could easily go home and rest.

I went home within 5-6hrs of my first being born at a birthing center.  Sounds the same there. 

• Like 4

I have only best wishes for the happy family.

I have no opinion on what they name their baby.  (hopefully not charles.   and charles might want to consider not using charles as his regnal name, given what happened to the king charles ii . . . )

I have no opinion on what my dd names her baby.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, klmama said:

Pretty common to leave quickly.  Especially when it isn’t your first.  Btw,  it is the mum’s choice to leave.  You have home visits after so quite a bit of support.

27 minutes ago, klmama said:

she stayed over night with george and charolette.

she must be feeling well enough to leave - and she certainly has access to support at home.

32 minutes ago, Annie G said:

n. 

I hope it’s not Philip, as I just finished The Crown and I don’t like him much. 

don't believe what you see on the crown.   there's a lot of ficton in it.

6 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I hope it isn't Arthur. I just don't like it. Phillip or Charles would honor his grandfather or great grandfather but does the royal family do that when the person is still living?

charles and william both have arthur as one of their names.

-and yes -

charles - "charles philip arthur george." 

william - william arthur philip louis- 

I guessed Charlotte's name exactly right -- Charlotte Elizabeth Diana

My guess for this little one -- Philip Charles Spencer Francis -- or some combination of those names

Named after his great-grandfather, grandfather, grandmother (Spencer was Diana's maiden name) and grandfather (Francis is Michael Middleton's middle name)

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I have only best wishes for the happy family.

I have no opinion on what they name their baby.  (hopefully not charles.   and charles might want to consider not using charles as his regnal name, given what happened to the king charles ii . . . )

I have no opinion on what my dd names her baby.

I believe Charles has said in the past that he would use George as his regnal name.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, klmama said:

I read that she was so upset after the suicide of her nurse with Charlotte (after nurse was tricked into accidentally leaking information to a radio show) that she had to be talked into having this birth at a hospital at all.  She wanted to have a home birth.  The same article speculated she would spend less than one shift in the hospital and go home as soon as possible afterwards to limit the number of staff working with the family and hopefully prevent them from being exploited.

• Sad 4

46 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

charles and william both have arthur as one of their names.

-and yes -

charles - "charles philip arthur george." 

william - william arthur philip louis- 

But they don't go by Arthur. He's not likely to ever be king because he's 5th in line but if something weird happened, and he's Arthur, I would hope he'd choose something other than his own first name for his regal name. Not King Arthur! 

My grandfather was Albert but I still don't care for it. My aunt who they hoped would be a boy is Alberta. She hates it and other than in school has never used it. I know the royal family doesn't worry about whether or not a name is old fashioned but both Arthur and Albert feel old fashioned to me. 

It's touching the sweet ways William and Harry and Kate honor Diana. Like how Kate wore a red dress today similar to what Diana wore in public after Harry (also the second born son) was born. 

It's probably not a coincidence that their dresses are so similar. The duchess has been known to channel Diana’s fashion at times, and her maternitywear is no exception.

Kate wore a blue-and-white polka dot dress after her first pregnancy with Prince George that looked very similar to Diana’s dress after she left the hospital with William.

picsincluded:  https://www.today.com/today/amp/tdna127581

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

don't believe what you see on the crown.   there's a lot of ficton in it.

Oh for sure there’s a ton of fiction!  My dislike of Philip is based on how he treated his kids, especially Charles, and that’s well documented, from Charles himself.  Both Cheam and Gordonstoun were miserable experiences for Charles and his parents knew it but they let him be miserable for years.  I blame both of them for that but we’re talking about naming a prince so that’s why I focused on Philip. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

But they don't go by Arthur. He's not likely to ever be king because he's 5th in line but if something weird happened, and he's Arthur, I would hope he'd choose something other than his own first name for his regal name. Not King Arthur! 

My grandfather was Albert but I still don't care for it. My aunt who they hoped would be a boy is Alberta. She hates it and other than in school has never used it. I know the royal family doesn't worry about whether or not a name is old fashioned but both Arthur and Albert feel old fashioned to me. 

charles and william will both (theoretically) be king.  arthur is one of their names.  they're free to chose whichever name they wish as their regnal name.  Elizabeth (and victoria) were different in that they used the name which they used among family.

35 minutes ago, Katy said:

I read that she was so upset after the suicide of her nurse with Charlotte (after nurse was tricked into accidentally leaking information to a radio show) that she had to be talked into having this birth at a hospital at all.  She wanted to have a home birth.  The same article speculated she would spend less than one shift in the hospital and go home as soon as possible afterwards to limit the number of staff working with the family and hopefully prevent them from being exploited.

I'd forgotten about that.   what a horrible thing.  so many people were hurt by those dj's "joke".

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

I didn't even know she was pregnant with the third child. (Insert hiding and running emoji here). I was wondering if they can choose any name of does tradition still dictate what names can be used?

Yes, I was also wondering if they have freedom to choose whichever name they like or if it has to come from a pre approved list of stodgy royal names. :p

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

they're free to choose whichever of their names they wish to use for their regnal name.  Elizabeth chose to use the name she went by in everyday life.  but no, this baby is highly unlikely to ever be King.

18 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Yes, I was also wondering if they have freedom to choose whichever name they like or if it has to come from a pre approved list of stodgy royal names. :p

pretty sure there are guidelines in what names they can use, and how many names.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

I read that the Queen has to approve the name, just like the marriages, of anyone within a certain number in the order of succession.  Maybe it was 10?

Good heavens, really?? Kudos to the women who marry royalty. I couldn't do for all the crown jewels. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

charles and william will both (theoretically) be king.  arthur is one of their names.  they're free to chose whichever name they wish as their regnal name.  Elizabeth (and victoria) were different in that they used the name which they used among family.

Yes I'm aware of all of that.  Also they have Arthur in their names. We're talking about it as a first name. 

16 hours ago, Annie G said:

No clue what the name might be but I gotta say, Kate walking out of the hospital looking that awesome only seven hours after giving birth is something. Sure she had a team to get her looking that great but after I gave birth no way could I have pulled that off even with her team.  A week later I was lucky to have brushed my hair, showered, and had clean sweatpants on. 

I'm thinking how do you wear one of those giant pads they give you after giving birth, and then appear smooth in a dress and heels?  I don't get it.  I'd be worried about leaking, lol.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

14 hours ago, Selkie said:

Prince Andrew and Fergie took some liberties.

• Like 1

I have always disliked Charles so much, but after watching some of The Crown I have developed a bit of sympathy for him.  Seeing him as a little boy I guess.  He was not the manly man Phillip was so I think that immediately put a distance between them....and then the whole royal thing from that time period...he really was neglected by his parents it seems.  When I was young and he and Camilla were breaking up the marriage I was so disgusted with him.  I felt like he should have married Camilla in the first place even if it meant he couldn't be King rather than marry someone he didn't really love (Diana) or if being King was so important to him he should have broke it off with Camilla completely and worked on his marriage.  Then when I was older and they let William marry a non royal and they even lived together before marriage.....I started thinking man what a rip off for Charles since they wouldn't let him marry Camilla.  And then again when I watched the Crown and saw how deeply the abdication affected Queen Elizabeth and the rest of the family I could see why and how it happened that when Charles married it was still too 'fresh' in the memory....and maybe it was more about not hurting his mother than it was not being King.

All of that to say, we never really know why people make the decisions they do.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Katy said:

Louis was Phillip's uncle's name.

But he's not part of the English royal line. Well, he is distantly but it's hard to find European royalty not related to Queen Victoria. Anyway, the name seems like it honors both Charles and Phillip because they were both very close to Mountbatten. I remember when he was killed and the news even in the U.S. talked about how close he and Charles were. He was like a father figure to Phillip and pushed for the Phillip/Elizabeth relationship but he was also Charles' favorite uncle. Much is made of how William and Harry felt about their mother and how they miss her, but every now and then something happens or comes to the spotlight that shows they genuinely care for their father too. Maybe Charles isn't as cold in private as he seems in public.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

But he's not part of the English royal line. Well, he is distantly but it's hard to find European royalty not related to Queen Victoria. Anyway, the name seems like it honors both Charles and Phillip because they were both very close to Mountbatten. I remember when he was killed and the news even in the U.S. talked about how close he and Charles were. He was like a father figure to Phillip and pushed for the Phillip/Elizabeth relationship but he was also Charles' favorite uncle. Much is made of how William and Harry felt about their mother and how they miss her, but every now and then something happens or comes to the spotlight that shows they genuinely care for their father too. Maybe Charles isn't as cold in private as he seems in public.

I'm so glad you posted this. I didn't realize Louis was Mountbatten's name. 

I like it so much better now! lol

• Like 1