Menu

Sewing machine recs...

I want a sewing machine.  I **need** one that is super-duper easy to use.   I get confused easily and cannot thread a machine to save my life.  My niece will be 3 next year and I want to start sewing her doll clothes and clothing for herself.  I also plan to sew some things for charity work.  So, while it doesn’t need to be a ‘work-horse’, I really don’t want to have to buy a new one in a year.  I had an old singer, probably from the early 80’s.  I couldn’t thread it, so it was a bust.   My mom thread it for me and I was able to make curtains, a tablecloth, etc, but she lives in another town now, so that’s out.    I don’t even know where that machine is now.    I’ve considered the janome hello kitty model.   I know it’s for kids but I can’t stress enough the brain fog I have, so something very simple is needed.  Of course, my husband can learn to thread it for me, but I’d like to be able to do some things on it when he’s at work.   Any suggestions?  Tia! 

I absolutely love my Brother sewing machine.  It's a Project Runway version that has 100 stiches built in AND it has a built in needle threader.  I couldn't figure out how to make that work, but then remembered the machine came with a video.  Two minutes later I couldn't believe how much easier that one little detail made a sewing project!

I use it for all kinds of things- I've sewn denim, pleather, cottons, laces,  and TONS of spandex and other stretchy dance knits.  Sews like a dream provided I use the correct needles and stitches for what I'm sewing.   I've had it for 18 months now and can't believe I did so much sewing without it in the past.  The reviews on Amazon were really mixed for it, but I took a gamble and I'm so glad I did.  Some of the negative reviews are really negative- makes me think that got a bad machine that should have simply been sent back to be replaced.  

I have this one:  https://www.amazon.com/Brother-XR9500PRW-Project-Stitches-Quilting/dp/B005GXPOAM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1524517215&sr=8-4&keywords=brother+project+runway+sewing+machines&dpID=41e8AuLOjiL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I'm sure there are better at-home sewing machines out there, but I feel like the price is super reasonable and like I said, sewing is such a pleasure now!  I really love it!

• Thanks 1

If you can find the Singer I would recommend you get it cleaned and serviced. Then get the repair person to show you how to thread it and video the demonstration - keep it on your phone, or check YouTube  A solid machine from the '80s will be much better made than a cheaper machine made today. If all you need it for is basic sewing, I wouldn't buy  a new machine. If you want it for machine quilting or embroidery I'd advise a new machine.  I have been sewing for 48 years. 

• Thanks 1
On 4/23/2018 at 2:01 PM, Lady Marmalade said:

:::snip::::

I'm sure there are better at-home sewing machines out there, but I feel like the price is super reasonable and like I said, sewing is such a pleasure now!  I really love it!

Highlighting the reason I agree it is worth spending a little bit to get what you want and what will work without *issues*.  I love my sewing machine--it is a simple Bernina 145 (I sold the 160 when we downsized).  It just does what I want it to do.  The gal I sold the 160 to wrote a thank you note (I cut her a deal) and she used this phrase to describe it:  "It's so eager to please."  THAT is a good sewing machine.  :0)   And if it is a PITB to sew, why have a machine at all?

• Like 1

I want to cheer you on--you CAN learn to thread a machine! If I can thread a serger with no eyesight, you can do this! And you'll be so happy when you do, because you're going to have so much fun with those doll clothes! Go look at this thread for some inspiration and lots of cool places for patterns: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

I want to cheer you on--you CAN learn to thread a machine! If I can thread a serger with no eyesight, you can do this! And you'll be so happy when you do, because you're going to have so much fun with those doll clothes! Go look at this thread for some inspiration and lots of cool places for patterns: 

Thank you Margaret!  I’m drooling now!   

The 1980ish Singer I owned was an awesome machine that I used extensively until it died.  After you learn to thread them they really are great for just what you plan to use it for.....doll clothing, little girl outfits, and mine made many quilts.  Not fancy quilts but ones that are being used Year’s later so durable.  I have two newer model cheap Singers that DH bought as a well meaning presents and they do the basic job but not as well as the old one did.

If you end up needing to buy one go to a local shop that offers support after you purchase and get their brand.  That’s what I plan to do. I have never owned a machine beyond a basic Singer.  It’s one of those things my mom and I had planned to buy and share but never did.  I am starting to look because I think I would enjoy more quilting options and have realized that I while we always intended to get a Viking or Bernina all my quilt buddies have Janome.  Janome also has good shop support where I live so I suspect I am buying Janome.......

Totally agree with Margaret.  Dolls and doll clothing are so much fun to make!  

• Like 1

...and I also agree with Margaret--a threader makes a world of difference.  But even without one, you can use an old-fashioned wire-threader and it also is an enormous help.  Progressive lenses and sewing are not a good match---but the threaders make a world of difference.

• Like 1