Menu

Teaching Textbooks Geometry 2.0 VS 3.0

• 3 months later...

We haven't used 3.0, but after talking to TT about it, we decided to stick with the 2.0.  There is no difference in actual content.  My issue was that there are weaknesses with the computer/online aspect (my opinion)- the kids can guess and "game" the system, if you will.  I prefer to have the kids work from the textbook and we have always done all tests on paper to ensure that topics were truly mastered.  I don't like that there isn't an option to print lessons/tests with 3.0.  TT did seem more than willing to work with a family regarding the one-year time frame and I don't see it being an issue to get an extension if needed...but being able to use the 2.0 for multiple children makes it the better deal for me, so that was also taken in to account. So that's my 2 cents. LOL ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jess4879 said:

We haven't used 3.0, but after talking to TT about it, we decided to stick with the 2.0.  There is no difference in actual content.  My issue was that there are weaknesses with the computer/online aspect (my opinion)- the kids can guess and "game" the system, if you will.  I prefer to have the kids work from the textbook and we have always done all tests on paper to ensure that topics were truly mastered.  I don't like that there isn't an option to print lessons/tests with 3.0.  TT did seem more than willing to work with a family regarding the one-year time frame and I don't see it being an issue to get an extension if needed...but being able to use the 2.0 for multiple children makes it the better deal for me, so that was also taken in to account. So that's my 2 cents. LOL ?

Thanks for your input. I have heard about gaming the system but how exactly? The 3.0 allows for the parent to turn off hints and you can do only 1 try vs 2 tries. Though I'm not sure how that games the system. Is it just guessing and asking for hints, etc? I'm asking because the child I want to use the pre-algebra with will figure out a way to game if there is one. The reason I would use TT is for the online aspect where I don't have to grade and there is a teacher explaining the lesson. I am hesitant to not have the child use a book or write down problems, etc.

My daughter used TT Geometry last year and then I signed her up for TT Algebra II 3.0 this year.  I ordered the textbook separately for her because there is no way that I want her to do this program without an actual book.

I will say that I am totally rethinking my choice to go with 3.0 instead of 2.0 though.  Both yesterday and today 3.0 has been down, so we can't access the lessons.  I think I am going to call them and switch back to 2.0.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LAmom said:

Thanks for your input. I have heard about gaming the system but how exactly? The 3.0 allows for the parent to turn off hints and you can do only 1 try vs 2 tries. Though I'm not sure how that games the system. Is it just guessing and asking for hints, etc? I'm asking because the child I want to use the pre-algebra with will figure out a way to game if there is one. The reason I would use TT is for the online aspect where I don't have to grade and there is a teacher explaining the lesson. I am hesitant to not have the child use a book or write down problems, etc.

The computer sometimes offers helps that aren't helpful once the child works on paper - for long division, the cursor automatically moves to the correct position needed to input answers.  It's easy for a child to *think* they've mastered it, but not really understand why they are moving to a certain position.  Not the best example, as it's for younger grades, but it's the one that sticks in my head.  I have also heard of kids being able to guess what the answers are.  We prefer the book option, but that's just us.  ?