Menu

Best resources to prepare for SAT Math?

I have Chalkdust's SAT Math Review, which I used for my older kids who took the SAT before CB made changes to the test a couple years ago. My next student will be the first to take the new SAT. Should I look for something different for her to review SAT math? What are you all using for SAT math preparation?

• Like 1

Khan Academy's SAT prep is the best general prep after just doing your regular math program.

There are sample tests (some of which are reportedly actual old SATs).  You can print them and administer them under test conditions then input the answers. Khan will customize their prep to what was missed while incorporating random review of other types of problems. Great and free.

If you are looking for perfect scores, there may be more ideas for books/resources. We are not in that league.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Khan Academy's SAT prep is the best general prep after just doing your regular math program.

There are sample tests (some of which are reportedly actual old SATs).  You can print them and administer them under test conditions then input the answers. Khan will customize their prep to what was missed while incorporating random review of other types of problems. Great and free.

If you are looking for perfect scores, there may be more ideas for books/resources. We are not in that league.

I need to find this spot where you print and input the answers. Navigating khan is not one of my core competencies! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

I need to find this spot where you print and input the answers. Navigating khan is not one of my core competencies! 

I think she means printing out previous tests from college board's website. It didn't occur to me to input answers to get more practice questions until RN mentioned it in another thread. I definitely didn't want DD taking the test online so we never took advantage of Khan. 

24 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

Okay, first thing:  This page should be a good one to start with. "Full length SAT" You should be able to click through the choices to choose one of the paper tests. Numbers 5-8 should be from real administrations. (I can't remember which one kicked my kid's rear end, but I think it might have been #5 or #6.)

These paper versions are the same as the online ones. There is also one or two PSAT paper versions, but I don't think they have the same ability to input answers like the SAT ones do, so we just did the full length SAT ones for PSAT practice.

Once your kid is done taking them under timed conditions, you or s/he can go back into that same first link, log into your Khan account, and choose the "online SAT practice" link. Choose the same # of test that you just took via paper. Using their answer sheet, go through the exam and put in the answers you've already selected. (It takes about 5 minutes for each section - including double checking that you selected the right letter each time.) When you get all the sections in, it'll give you a score, allow you to see what the correct answers are & why, and then customize your practice.

Khan seems to change the links every so often, so I'm just linking to that first page that has other links on it to click on. Let me know if you run into any troubles. On the paper page, there should be a link to an empty bubble answer sheet you can print out. You can score the test yourself if you want, but it'll do it for you once you input the answers on the online version.

[My DD took one version online and then I found where you could print them. We did that every other time. More realistic for us. She doesn't do well with the online version.]

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

Okay, first thing:  This page should be a good one to start with. "Full length SAT" You should be able to click through the choices to choose one of the paper tests. Numbers 5-8 should be from real administrations. (I can't remember which one kicked my kid's rear end, but I think it might have been #5 or #6.)

These paper versions are the same as the online ones. There is also one or two PSAT paper versions, but I don't think they have the same ability to input answers like the SAT ones do, so we just did the full length SAT ones for PSAT practice.

Once your kid is done taking them under timed conditions, you or s/he can go back into that same first link, log into your Khan account, and choose the "online SAT practice" link. Choose the same # of test that you just took via paper. Using their answer sheet, go through the exam and put in the answers you've already selected. (It takes about 5 minutes for each section - including double checking that you selected the right letter each time.) When you get all the sections in, it'll give you a score, allow you to see what the correct answers are & why, and then customize your practice.

Khan seems to change the links every so often, so I'm just linking to that first page that has other links on it to click on. Let me know if you run into any troubles. On the paper page, there should be a link to an empty bubble answer sheet you can print out. You can score the test yourself if you want, but it'll do it for you once you input the answers on the online version.

[My DD took one version online and then I found where you could print them. We did that every other time. More realistic for us. She doesn't do well with the online version.]

Thank you!!

• Like 1

Possibly there is something that you can purchase, that is better than Khan Academy, which is free, and which has an official tie-in with the College Board? How would you know if something is better?  Possibly you might read a lot of Reviews on Amazon.com about different study guides they are selling.  My DD will take the SAT in 2 weeks and she is using Khan Academy.  Possibly she also looks at other web sites, but I am not aware of that.

ACT seems to have a tie-in now with Kaplan, so for the ACT, Kaplan would seem to have the inside information.

Edited by Lanny
fix typo

I liked the Barron's Math Workbook because it was well laid out with explanations of all the areas on the test with practice tests after each section. By working through it together I could see where she was having trouble right away, but with Khan Academy which she also used, I didn't have a feel for where she had problems. She only did Khan for the first attempt at the SAT in October, but after Christmas we started with the workbook and saw a big improvement on the March SAT. I would have preferred the June date but it is not offered overseas anymore and the May date was too close to APs.