Menu

Let's talk about accordions!

greenbeanmama

I've got an eleven-year-old who has wanted to play accordion since he was four.  He's been taking lessons on alto sax for about a year (so knows how to read music, at least treble clef), and has picked up harmonica and ukulele on his own.  I have no problems getting him to practice (he plays for fun in his free time besides what I require).  I am not musically inclined, but what I do know is:

-He does NOT want a piano accordion, definitely wants button style.
-He'd much prefer chromatic over diatonic.
-We have no local resources (within a 90 minute radius).
-What I can find online is almost all for diatonic accordions, usually Irish-style (books, online lessons, etc).

Does anyone know of books (in English!), video lessons (other than the few on youtube), or other resources that would be helpful?  Thanks!

• Like 1

That's awesome! I think it's great he wants to play!! I'm a piano accordion player (96 button Stradella bass, 37 treble), and love the instrument - you can hardly NOT smile while playing. And you can find it in so much folk music, as well as jazz, rock, blues, and even classical.

I don't have any suggestions from chromatic button accordion specific resources - sorry! - but have you tried Liberty Bellows' website? Also Shelia Lee has a great blog and teaches lessons via Skype and I *think* she teaches CBA (chromatic button accordion). 

Just curious, why CBA? Is it just the look? The layout? Has he played a CBA and like the organization of the keys? Is there a particular music style he wants to play? While practically anything you can play on CBA can be played on PA (piano accordion) and visa versa, the fingering can be harder if you play something written for CBA on PA or something written for PA on CBA.  Lots of Eastern European music is written for CBA as is French musette style. It doesn't mean you can't play musette on PA or that you can't play jazz on CBA only that some pieces may require more wrist and finger stretching or twisting.  Is It size? The CBA can get the same range in a slightly smaller size but the weights will be the same if they have the same number of reeds in the reed blocks.

As you've noticed there is a LOT more available in terms of instruction for PA - method books that are pretty self teaching from Palmer-Hughes were written for kids learning the instrument and are still in print. That reason alone was enough for me to choose PA, but it also helped that I already knew piano.  I'm not trying to convert you to PA because it makes no difference to me, but just wondered if there is a strong reason to choose CBA. 

• Like 1

Thanks for replying!  He greatly prefers the look of button accordions vs. piano.  And he doesn't want to limit himself to playing in just a couple of keys with a diatonic, so to him, chromatic seems like the best of both worlds.  I've tried explaining that if we can't find enough instructions to help him play, it doesn't matter what key he *could* play in, if he can't learn to play at all.  Size is another factor - the chromatic that he has his eye on weighs about 11 pounds.  He's not real big for his age (55 inches tall, and not quite 80 pounds), and I just can't see him comfortably playing an 18 or 19 pound instrument.  Arguably, some of the Irish buttons are only about seven pounds.  I've been trying to convince him that he could start on an Irish button (or at least a diatonic), and if he really wanted to diversify in a few years, we would work something out.  My fear, though, is that if he takes the "consolation prize" accordion, he won't be as enthusiastic about playing it.

I will definitely check out the online places you mentioned.  We tried several music stores in the larger cities around here (we're in a dinky town), and they were no help whatsoever - one salesperson actually laughed when I asked if they had any accordion books in stock.  Well!  Alrighty then!

1 hour ago, greenbeanmama said:

Thanks for replying!  He greatly prefers the look of button accordions vs. piano.  And he doesn't want to limit himself to playing in just a couple of keys with a diatonic, so to him, chromatic seems like the best of both worlds.  I've tried explaining that if we can't find enough instructions to help him play, it doesn't matter what key he *could* play in, if he can't learn to play at all.  Size is another factor - the chromatic that he has his eye on weighs about 11 pounds.  He's not real big for his age (55 inches tall, and not quite 80 pounds), and I just can't see him comfortably playing an 18 or 19 pound instrument.  Arguably, some of the Irish buttons are only about seven pounds.  I've been trying to convince him that he could start on an Irish button (or at least a diatonic), and if he really wanted to diversify in a few years, we would work something out.  My fear, though, is that if he takes the "consolation prize" accordion, he won't be as enthusiastic about playing it.

I will definitely check out the online places you mentioned.  We tried several music stores in the larger cities around here (we're in a dinky town), and they were no help whatsoever - one salesperson actually laughed when I asked if they had any accordion books in stock.  Well!  Alrighty then!

I understand about not being enthused if it’s not what you want. And CBA do look sleeker! Has he had a chance to play one IRL? I highly recommend it if you can. Plunking down $600-$2000 or more on an instrument is a serious investment. Like I said with weight - same amount of reeds=same weight so he will have the same range in an 11 lb CBA as an 11 lb PA. But CBA will be shorter top to bottom because the right hand side doesn’t need as much space.  I was handed down an old (well worn) 120 bass 41 treble accordion at first and it was great to try out and help me determine that I did like it and want to invest time / money, and what size I wanted.

Anyway, I’m excited for your DS! Best wishes!