Menu

Roommates (some CC)

Chris in VA

Yay--dd found her roommate! 

She was looking for someone who 1. didn't party 2. wasn't a raging extrovert 3. was a good student 4. wasn't a night owl.

She found a young lady who seems very similar but different enough to be interesting. They do have a ton in common, though. I'm so relieved. So is she!

It really does seem like God put them together! 

• Like 12

My daughter got her roommate assignment this week as well.  The swim coach matches the girls with other swimmers and divers.  Her roomie is from Serbia!  She's never even visited the U.S. before.  My daughter started texting her Pinterest links of dorm decor that she likes; I think Miss Serbia might have been a little overwhelmed. . ..

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, yvonne said:

When I was in college, the college matched roommates based on some questionnaire.  Do most colleges have students find their own roommates now?  If so, how do they go about doing that?

When we've visited colleges (ha! all of 2 so far!), they've mentioned they have something akin to a dating app for roommates. It will either offer suggested matches or allow you to see other kid's profiles and try to find a match on your own, depending on the college. Sounded helpful vs. the random-chance thing that I had when I went to college years ago. (I was matched with a nettlesome junior.) 

RoomSync? maybe one?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RootAnn said:

When we've visited colleges (ha! all of 2 so far!), they've mentioned they have something akin to a dating app for roommates. It will either offer suggested matches or allow you to see other kid's profiles and try to find a match on your own, depending on the college. Sounded helpful vs. the random-chance thing that I had when I went to college years ago. (I was matched with a nettlesome junior.) 

RoomSync? maybe one?

I just heard a bit on the radio that Duke has gone back to “random” roommate assignments. Allowing the students to choose their own roommates was defeating some of the goals they had for first year students as far as widening their circles, etc. Why Duke University Won’t Honor Freshman Roommate Requests This Year

OP, congratulations to your dd.  That’s really exciting and probably a bit of a relief.

• Like 1

Ds was able to self select a room through a housing portal. There was a mechanism for students that want to room together to choose together but he didn't know anyone so he just went in and choose his desired room in the Honors LLC. He then (somehow) got added to a group chat for the Honors LLC and ended up making friends with a guy through there who went in and switched his room to be with my ds. 

He thinks it will be good. The kid seems like he is serious about school and they both agreed that they don't want drinking/drugs in the room. My ds says he is "nerdy" which my ds really is not but it is what he wants in a roommate. Lol. 

21 hours ago, yvonne said:

When I was in college, the college matched roommates based on some questionnaire.  Do most colleges have students find their own roommates now?  If so, how do they go about doing that?

There were 4, very general questions on the JMU roommate sheet. (I don't know what they asked, but I think something about night owl vs. early riser, etc.) Dd decided to look on the Girls Facebook page and make a post about herself. She got a couple comments/interested people, but didn't want anyone super-extroverted. She's so funny--she said in her experience people tend to "match" their instruments, and she didn't want to room with a trumpet player! hahah (she's a violist)  Anyway, her post got further down the page, so she reposted and then this lovely young lady responded, and it seems like a winner. She knows a few people going to JMU because so many come from our area, but none are good friends, and she is willing to broaden her life experience by living with a stranger. She just didn't want someone...SO strange! haha They've texted a bunch now. (See my question about FB on the chat board--I'd love to know your opinion about something related...)

• Like 2

I'm so happy for your dd that she's found a good match!!

DD's freshman match wasn't so great. We thought it was perfect at first, but the reality didn't match expectations. DD wound up moving out with another girl for spring/freshman semester. Sophomore year, she had another friend as a roommate (her spring/freshman roommate had to move into a different building, so they couldn't room together again). Junior year - she's back with that spring/freshman roommate and a different friend! lol (sophomore roommate has to move into a different building this time!)

There aren't enough dorms at this university and they keep increasing their freshman class sizes, so it makes for chaos when it's room reservation time. So stressful!!!

• Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 10:50 AM, plansrme said:

My daughter got her roommate assignment this week as well.  The swim coach matches the girls with other swimmers and divers.  Her roomie is from Serbia!  She's never even visited the U.S. before.  My daughter started texting her Pinterest links of dorm decor that she likes; I think Miss Serbia might have been a little overwhelmed. . ..

Just tell your daughter to keep in mind that some people have no interest in paying for dorm decor.  Some students go in with the expectation of making everything comfy and cozy and coordinated, others are more like, eh, I'm using what I already have. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, katilac said:

Just tell your daughter to keep in mind that some people have no interest in paying for dorm decor.  Some students go in with the expectation of making everything comfy and cozy and coordinated, others are more like, eh, I'm using what I already have. 

Yeah, we're well aware of that.  I just thought it was an amusing story.  

My dd was mostly randomly assigned her roommates, based on a very short and general questionnaire.  She either lucked out or the school did a nice job with their assignments, because it worked out very well for her, thankfully.  I'm glad it seems to be going that way for your dd!