Menu

Is it time to give this away?

I'm a sentimental fool, so anything with a nostalgia factor makes the decision harder for me.

Dh and I had matching Olympus 35mm cameras when we were dating. For gifts, he would buy tripod, telephoto lens, filters, etc. Thus began my love of Olympus.

What do you think? I haven't used it in years. Now we have digital cameras. Is this a dinosaur collecting dust that someone else might use? Is there a way to put it to good use? Will I be able to buy film and get the film developed a few years from now? Would some camera buff just love to have this little collection?

Thanks for helping me decide.

I love older cameras. I have a couple that I display. I would keep it if for nothing more than that. Are you children old enough to be interested in photography. You could give it to them as a learning camera. Again, better than giving it away. Of course, I'm sentimental, too. I would keep it just for the sentimentality;)

My brother in law is a professional photographer. He says that the digital cameras have improved so much that he uses them for candid pictures. I'd say keep it if you think you'll put the time and money into it one day and give it away if digital is the "new you". :) I keep way too much stuff worrying about who could use it.

Dh has chosen to keep his old camera, even though we rely almost exclusively on our digital now. Dh absolutely loves photography as a hobby. It is completely possible that in the future, when the kids are grown and life intensity has stabilized, he will have the time and leisure to play around with photography more. It's easy for me to see how much he would enjoy having such very, very different cameras to work with.

If photography is something you love, then hang onto that old camera and see if you find yourself using it at a less busy season of your life. It's not something you are likely to buy again.

Is is an SLR? If so, there is a new photography student out there somewhere who would love it. All the intro courses I have heard of require film.

Yup - ask at the local high school or cc. is they want the stuff for photo classes. It is, I think (and I still have my old Minolta SRT 202 from 1977) easier to teach photography with a film camera. Editing on the 'puter with digital maskes too many mistakes.

I love older cameras. I have a couple that I display. I would keep it if for nothing more than that. Are you children old enough to be interested in photography. You could give it to them as a learning camera. Again, better than giving it away. Of course, I'm sentimental, too. I would keep it just for the sentimentality;)

I love to decorate with old things. I would display it.