Menu

Recall: Romaine Lettuce recall expanded (E Coli), Update: 1 death in California

Arcadia

From CDC https://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/2018/o157h7-04-18/index.html

• Advice to Consumers:
    • Do not buy or eat romaine lettuce at a grocery store or restaurant unless you can confirm it is not from the Yuma, Arizona, growing region.
    • Unless the source of the product is known, consumers anywhere in the United States who have any store-bought romaine lettuce at home should not eat it and should throw it away, even if some of it was eaten and no one has gotten sick. Product labels often do not identify growing regions; so, throw out any romaine lettuce if you’re uncertain about where it was grown. This includes whole heads and hearts of romaine, chopped romaine, and salads and salad mixes containing romaine lettuce. If you do not know if the lettuce is romaine, do not eat it and throw it away.”
  • Thanks 2

so I just bought some Dole salad kits that say it came from a distributing center in California.  I am assuming these are ok...since they aren't from Yuma, Arizona.  What do you all think??  They each contain romaine lettuce.....plus other stuff.

We ate romaine last night!  I did buy it last night so I’m hoping my grocery is keeping up with the recalls.   When I wanted to buy lettuce last week they had cleared it all out. 

My nephew nearly died of an E. coli infection a few years back so I’m going to try not to be nervous while anxiously watching my kids for signs of illness. 

6 hours ago, Rachel said:

We ate romaine last night!  I did buy it last night so I’m hoping my grocery is keeping up with the recalls.   When I wanted to buy lettuce last week they had cleared it all out. 

My nephew nearly died of an E. coli infection a few years back so I’m going to try not to be nervous while anxiously watching my kids for signs of illness. 

Hope you all stay healthy!  That's awful about your poor nephew.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kassia said:

Hope you all stay healthy!  That's awful about your poor nephew.

We are still healthy, so hopefully we have avoided it. 

My nephew managed to develop a couple different complications that are rare with E. coli infections, but it was really scary. He had some permanent kidney damage but is otherwise a healthy boy now. 

• Like 1

So, I purchased a bagged kit (mostly cabbage, some romaine) last Saturday night and ate half of it myself; the family ate bits of the rest.  The next day after church, I started feeling pretty poorly.  I went home early from social hour with my gut feeling crampish.  I took a 3.5 hour nap and woke up feeling a little bit better but still not 100%.  The next morning, I was feeling okay but later that day, late afternoon, I got really crampy  Eventually, I was laying on my bed, moaning in pain a bit, and that lasted for a couple of hours.  It wasn't a sharp pain, just felt like bad gas or constipation, but I'd gone to the bathroom actually several times the day and two before. I had no diarrhea whatsoever and no blood in the stools.  I thought about going to the emergency room that night, but having read about treating "minor" e coli (if that's what it was), I realized there was nothing they could do anyway, so I stayed home. I woke up feeling a little bit better, with a very minor crampy feeling, and have felt better and better since then. None of the family got sick at all. 

So what do you think?  Was it e coli, or just some stomach/gut thing (there is one going around)?  The onset of the symptoms seem too soon for it to have been e coli (everything I read says several days), and there was no diarrhea. The part that makes me go hmmmm is that I rarely eat packaged salads (I had a craving that night) and that I rarely, rarely get sick.  Just seems interesting that these rare things all aligned together on the back of an e coli outbreak.

Update from CDC yesterday https://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/2018/o157h7-04-18/index.html

”Case Count Update

Since the last update on April 18, 2018, 31 more people were added to this outbreak.

As of April 25, 2018, 84 people infected with the outbreak strain of E. coli O157:H7 have been reported from 19 states. A list of the states and the number of cases in each can be found on the Case Count Map page. Illnesses started on dates ranging from March 13, 2018 to April 12, 2018. Ill people range in age from 1 to 88 years, with a median age of 31. Sixty-five percent of ill people are female. Forty-two ill people have been hospitalized, including nine people who developed hemolytic uremic syndrome, a type of kidney failure. No deaths have been reported.

Illnesses that occurred after April 5, 2018, might not yet be reported due to the time it takes between when a person becomes ill with E. coli and when the illness is reported. This takes an average of two to three weeks.”

From ABC7News http://abc7news.com/health/84-people-in-19-states-sickened-amid-e-coli-outbreak/3371843/?sf187911204=1

Alaska and 18 other states that have reported a collective 84 cases of E. coli, the CDC announced. Idaho and Pennsylvania have been especially hard hit, with 10 and 18 respective cases reported.

In total, 42 people have been hospitalized in connection with the outbreak, nine of whom have developed a form of kidney failure. No deaths have been reported”

From Time http://time.com/5263454/romaine-lettuce-e-coli-death/

”A person in California has died from the E. coli outbreak tied to romaine lettuce, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced Wednesday.

This is the first death associated with the outbreak, which has now sickened 121 people from 25 states and sent at least 52 people to the hospital, according to the CDC. The illnesses are specifically related to romaine grown in the Yuma, Ariz. region, the agency says.”

Other news links

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/02/california-death-is-first-in-lettuce-e-coli-outbreak/

http://fox5sandiego.com/2018/05/02/califorina-reports-1st-death-in-romaine-lettuce-e-coli-outbreak/

http://ktla.com/2018/05/02/1-death-reported-in-california-due-to-e-coli-outbreak-linked-to-romaine-lettuce/

• Sad 2

• 1 month later...

FYI

It Was The Water, FDA Says Of Romaine E. Coli Outbreak That Killed Five

An E. coli outbreak that sickened people in 36 states and triggered warnings not to eat romaine lettuce this spring has been traced to water in a canal in the Yuma, Ariz., region – and the outbreak is now officially over, federal officials say.

"Suspect product is no longer being harvested or distributed from this area and is no longer available in stores or restaurants, due to its 21-day shelf life," the Food and Drug Administration says.

• Like 1