Menu

IB history

Can anybody help me understand how History is taught in IB schools? I love topic focused books I see, but I can’t figure out how hey are covered in IB schools. Glancing at syllabus materials, it appears kids chose what to study and don’t cover the entire world history? Say if I wanted to design a 20th century course using those books, what should I be looking at? I see so many ones for that time period, but how much overlap is there between them? What would a typical IB course look like?

Just curious, but have you tried googling "IB course syllabus history" or "IB course syllabus world history" or "IB course syllabus twentieth century history"?

I saw several PDFs - and maybe some of them would be helpful? (Or is that how you came up with this question? Sorry, if so!)

• Like 2

I'm planning on doing a modified Theory of Knowledge based on the IB course so I've been searching. I did what RootAnn suggested and also found this site: http://www.ibo.org/programmes/diploma-programme/curriculum/

I've also just used bits of their books. Their history of the Americas does a nice integration of history that's more comprehensive for all of the Americas, for example, that puts things in context in less US-centric ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

Just curious, but have you tried googling "IB course syllabus history" or "IB course syllabus world history" or "IB course syllabus twentieth century history"?

I saw several PDFs - and maybe some of them would be helpful? (Or is that how you came up with this question? Sorry, if so!)

I did and I see they have different tracks or so, but I am not sure I am reading it all correctly. I was hoping anybody here has actually gone through an IB school or used their books. 

51 minutes ago, deerforest said:

Yea, I'm going to get the ToK ones and just build my own course from it. I did like finding some of the sample essays for ideas.

He nice things about those texts ( I have a Global Politics one in my shelf) is they (Oxford one at least) include e am type questions. They are excellent and could be easily turned into essay ones. 

Another way to reformilate my question. I see some medieval era texts mostly focused on Islam. I see a ton on 20th century with all sorts of wonderful different topics. I don’t see any general ones. So if you go to an IB school, do they assume you have done the genral history and just want to focus on anparticula topic the last two years? If so, do they do History both years and how many topics per year? 

The main thing you need to understand about IB texts is that they assume the presence of a trained teacher.  It's sort of like how the Singapore math materials were before folks in the US started producing instructor guides.  Unfortunately, I can't tell you how the instructors augment the texts, but perhaps checking out published syllabuses will help.

• Like 1