Menu

Stock Market for Teens

Anyone have any suggestions for a book or video that explains the stock market in a simple, straightforward way?  I don't have the budget for a full curriculum.  $20 max.  

I want the girls to fake-purchase some stocks (emulate the real process), track them daily and see how rich or broke  they are after a few months.   

I literally just remembered the stock market game my econ teacher played with us for one period.  Things were going great and then without warning the game ended, the market crashed and we (the students) were sad and broke.  He said, "And that is what happened in 1929 to a lot of people.  That's why it was so devastating.  They didn't see it coming." I've never forgotten that lesson or him.  His class was filled with memorable stuff like that simple game.  He was one of those rare, extraordinary teachers.  Anyway, that was a bit of a rabbit trail.  Point is that I know learning the market can be fun.

Sooo.... stock market, young teens, etc... Anyone have any leads for me?

• Like 1

This year for our 9th grade civics and economics class, I had the students download the free app "best broker". You get $25,000 (I think - it may be 20,000) to spend on whatever stocks you want. They have been tracking them on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis and will give a report to the class at the end of the semester on how their portfolio performed. The only drawback to the app is that it is in euros, not dollars. My daughter invested in companies like FB, L'oreal, Twitter, and Apple, as well as some medical companies. My son used it all to buy Bitcoin. It's been fun watching them watch their portfolio and groaning or gloating depending on how the market went that day.  

For texts, they have been reading "Whatever Happened to Penny Candy" and its accompanying book of articles, questions, and answers, as well as "The Money Mystery". Both texts are in the Uncle Eric series, published by Bluestocking Press.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fioriblue said:

For texts, they have been reading "Whatever Happened to Penny Candy" and its accompanying book of articles, questions, and answers, as well as "The Money Mystery". Both texts are in the Uncle Eric series, published by Bluestocking Press.

I just downloaded the app you mentioned.  I can't wait to check it out.   Thanks for the book suggestions :) 

I just requested this book from the library: "The Motley Fool Investment Guide for Teens: 8 Steps to Having More Money Than Your Parents Ever Dreamed Of"  I'll check and see if it has the Uncle Eric books as well.

Try the Stock Market Game. I was doing similar research and heard such great things about it that we decided to move things around to fit it in next year. They have levels for elementary, middle and high school. It has lessons and simulated trading and is a competition. (Stockmarketgame.org)

• Like 2