Menu

Medical emergency at end of college semester

Dmmetler

Let her professors know that she's in the hospital. Then look up the rules for taking an Incomplete and Medical Withdrawals and see what looks more likely. The college will definitely work with her for an absolute, documented medical emergency.

I hope she's better soon.

• Like 1

Thanks! I’m not sure that she is going to be up to doing much of the contacting. The high school will work with parents. I’m sure we can get whatever documentation is needed. She’s worked too hard to lose the credits now if at all possible. I’m hoping it is partially or mostly a result of stress. 

I had emergency (well almost, I had about 24 hours notice but it was not something that could be delayed any longer than that) surgery two weeks before the end of the semester.  I happened to be home at the time and even had all but one of my professors home numbers with me.  I just called them told them I was going in for surgery and I wasn't sure when I would be back.  They all said, fine just let us know when you are back and we will work it out then.  For the other professor, I sent one of my friends/roommate who had other classes in that building to deliver the message.  Again no problems.  I've heard some schools have forms that has to be submitted but I'd start with contacting the professors directly and go from there.  If she can't do it herself,  I don't see any reason you couldn't do it on her behalf.

• Like 1

Colleges have procedure in place. If it is past the date for a withdrawal, he best option would be to request an Incomplete.

Our college allows Incompletes when students are unable to complete the semester because of medical or other emergencies, but it is too late for a withdrawal. With an incomplete, all previous work is "frozen", and the incomplete agreement between instructor and student stipulates what work the student needs to complete to finish the course. At my institution, the student has one year to complete these requirements. This is FAR better than withdrawing, because the student does not have to pay tuition again and repeat any of the previously completed work.

Look up the procedure for requesting an Incomplete. The registrar's office may be able to help you find them. It will probably involve contacting all professors separately.

• Like 6

On 4/20/2018 at 9:07 AM, dmmetler said:

My BK is currently in a step down unit from ICU after a medical emergency. Her finals for DE start April 30.  I’m not concerned about her high school classes or graduation-we can declare her done now-but I am about the college classes. 

I'm really sorry. I hope she is OK and continues to get better. 

IME, I contacted the associate Dean in the relevant school.

She then contacted all the professors. All classes received incompletes with differing dates to finish ( bc some classes were prerequisites for the classes registered for the next semester). The Dean told me to tell my student to contact the professors as soon as he was able to. 

HTH

• Like 1

18 hours ago, regentrude said:

Colleges have procedure in place. If it is past the date for a withdrawal, he best option would be to request an Incomplete.

Our college allows Incompletes when students are unable to complete the semester because of medical or other emergencies, but it is too late for a withdrawal. With an incomplete, all previous work is "frozen", and the incomplete agreement between instructor and student stipulates what work the student needs to complete to finish the course. At my institution, the student has one year to complete these requirements. This is FAR better than withdrawing, because the student does not have to pay tuition again and repeat any of the previously completed work.

Look up the procedure for requesting an Incomplete. The registrar's office may be able to help you find them. It will probably involve contacting all professors separately.

This is very like the school ds attends, except instead of a year, they give until the next semester starts; I know because we've been there done that.

I would expect them to be willing to take information from you while your dd is too sick to be able to contact them. It might work well to email from her school email account, letting them know it is you and that she is hospitalized and not physically able to make contact right now. While they can't release information to you, most colleges are perfectly willing to hear from and work with parents when the situation calls for it. 

If there are college friends or campus organizations she was active in that might not know what is going on, make sure they know if BK is able to receive to receive visitors or gifts. Figuring out emotional support is important, too.

I think the urge to get her caught up academically is about wanting to get things back to normal as quickly as possible. But, what she needs right now is probably not a list of missed assignments. 

Try to work with the professors.  If nothing can be done, she can apply for a retroactival withdrawal for the semester.  It will nullify the classes and the grades.  It is FAR LESS than ideal (a wasted semester) but it will keep her GPA from being impacted.