Menu

Boston (Fenway)

lovinmyboys

My Dh is taking ds to Boston to see his favorite team play the Red Sox for his birthday. They will be there two days. Does anyone have recommendations for an area to stay? I think they are either wanting to Uber, walk, or take public transportation. So, looking for somewhere so they won’t have to rent a car. 

Also, any suggestions besides Fenway for them to do while there? Ds is turning 12. They are seeing two evening games, so they have two days free. Anything else they should know? Thanks!

If they'd enjoy being in an old historic neighborhood, I love the Brookline area, and we've stayed here more than once:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/longwood-inn.html

It's not a typical hotel...  It's more like a guesthouse.  You get a key to the building and no one is there at night except guests.  There's a big kitchen and you make your own breakfast.  (There's a Trader Joe's just down the street.)  You just label the food and keep it in the kitchen's fridge.  It's walkable to a T stop, or you could call an Uber/Lyft or a taxi.  It's in a very central area. 

• Like 2

We went to the Northeast last fall, staying in Boston two nights (the rest in Maine).  We also went to a game at Fenway.  The public transit has a stop very near there, so they could stay almost anywhere.  Because we were flying out the next morning, we had an Airbnb near the airport.  After checking in, we took public transit downtown, did the Freedom Trail for awhile, and then took the public transit to the park.  We Uber'd back to the Airbnb afterward.  The one thing I'd say to do is make sure the Redsox play an exciting game.  LOL.  We were there during their hot streak at the end of the season last year, but the game we went to was a big yawner. 

• Like 1

Dh and I were in Boston for our honeymoon a long time ago.

I would recommend the duck boats as it gives a tour of the city.

Dh recommends the USS Constitution.

Dh and I also went to Fenway.  I'm a big Orioles fan and the O's were in town the same weekend we were. :)

I hope your son has a great time for his birthday.

• Like 1

As others have recommended, the stadium tour.  My husband and son travel to different MLB parks every summer (Fenway is on their itinerary this summer) and always try to take the stadium tour.  Some teams  do not do tours on game days, so check their policies and reserve a spot in advance.  They have always enjoyed the tours and have had some very special experiences, e.g., at 8, my son was pulled from the tour onto Wrigley Field while the pitchers were warming up, and we have all of these pics of him standing in the middle of a circle of Cubs players chatting with them.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2018 at 6:53 PM, Junie said:

Dh and I were in Boston for our honeymoon a long time ago.

I would recommend the duck boats as it gives a tour of the city.

Dh recommends the USS Constitution.

Dh and I also went to Fenway.  I'm a big Orioles fan and the O's were in town the same weekend we were. :)

I hope your son has a great time for his birthday.

You are my people! We love the Os, even though they make it hard. Adam Jones is my favorite current player. Yours? 

Full disclosure: We also like the Nats. It's OK, they're in different leagues. Should the Os and Nats ever play each other in the World Series, we'd pull for our O's. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Angie in VA said:

You are my people! We love the Os, even though they make it hard. Adam Jones is my favorite current player. Yours? 

Full disclosure: We also like the Nats. It's OK, they're in different leagues. Should the Os and Nats ever play each other in the World Series, we'd pull for our O's. 

I'm an O's fan and ds17 is a Nats fan.

However, in the post-season I often cheer for the Red Sox.  Once the O's are out I root for whoever has the best shot at beating the Yankees.  ;)

OP:  If your son is a Yankees fan, just pretend that this post doesn't exist.  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Junie said:

However, in the post-season I often cheer for the Red Sox.  Once the O's are out I root for whoever has the best shot at beating the Yankees.  ;)

OP:  If your son is a Yankees fan, just pretend that this post doesn't exist.  :)

He is a Royals fan. We haven’t lived in KC for several years, but they are still his team. They had a great few years, but I am wondering if he will still be a fan by the end of this year. I don't think he knew it was possible for a team to be so bad. The Nats are our local team- he insists he will love the Royals no matter what, but I noticed he wore a Nats shirt to baseball practice this week. Of course, it is totally possible to have an AL favorite and NL favorite. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Junie said:

LOL about the Yankees! Except for Arron Judge. Man, I like that kid! And all the cool "Judges' Chambers" and "All Rise" stuff too. Don't tell my son I said that, OK?

• Like 1