Menu

Math for a First Grader

KelliEk09

I apologize if this is not in the right spot, I am new to the site and I did not see a curriculum forum for early elementary questions like grades 1-3 so please direct me there if this is in the wrong spot!  

I am trying to figure out curriculum next year for my daughter who will be in first grade.  I am not an "all inclusive" type of curriculum person I foresee myself using a variety of different materials (as opposed to one curriculum that has all subjects included) and books.  Right now especially trying to figure out a good Classical Math curriculum.  I tried Saxon and that was not the right fit for us.  I am looking at Math U See right now.  I know it's hard to recommend a curriculum for someone else since every child is different, but still new to all of this and would love personal testimonies for any Classical Math Curriculums you have tried.  Thanks!  

Here's the thread for 1st grade planning: 

A good math curriculum does indeed vary by family and student. I've used Math Mammoth with my two school aged kids with great success. Similar to that is Singapore, and these are both a different method than Saxon.

Perhaps we can help narrow possibilities down. Why was Saxon not a good fit? What has worked well (in any subject)? In what ways does she prefer to learn?  Usually “classical math” connotes an approach like Martin Cothran promotes. https://www.memoriapress.com/articles/why-johnny-cant-add/

However, this kind of approach ground my oldest into the ground and left her feeling unintelligent and hating math. Thankfully we switched gears when she was 9 to something that was congruent with her way of learning. She thrives, excelled, and continues to be advanced in math and love it as well.  So, if you want Classical Math read the article, and maybe look at something like Ray’s Arithmetic. But if you want a great math program for your child that may not be the same thing.

On 4/19/2018 at 2:37 PM, HomeAgain said:

I would start here.  Do both the secular and religious surveys to get a good idea of what you might gravitate to. http://homeschool-curriculum-reviews.com/math-curriculum-selector/

I don't think of math as being exactly classical, but I do think it's one of those subjects that you should adapt as necessary.

Thank you for the link for the surveys!  That was really helpful.  And it was interesting actually, I had my husband take them too and we both had some similar answers but different answers too!  It really is helping us narrow down all the options.  I will definitely share this with others!