Menu

WWS 1, Week 1, Cause and effect relationships?

My son was asked to summarize a excerpt from The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken.   

Here is what he wrote:

Sylvia in in a train compartment with a stranger who is antagonizing her with some sweets she will not take.   They both fall asleep, and the train is blocked by wolves, but the man tells her not to worry.   A wolf, after many attempts, breaks through the window, and the man kills it with a glass shard.

The rubric for the assignment says that, "If two or more events are listed in a single sentence, they should have a cause and effect relationship."

I told my son that I am not so sure that the events combined in his second sentence have a clear cause and effect relationship.  (Bolded above)  He disagrees.   What do you think?

That sentence has three events/clauses. 

• event/clause 1: “They both fall asleep”
  • event/clause 2: “the train is blocked by wolves”
  • event/clause 3: “the man tells her not to worry”

All three of these clauses do not belong in the same sentence.

• Clauses 1 & 2 have a time relationship. However, it is a very weak relationship.
  • Clauses 2 & 3 DO have a cause/effect relationship. They go together.
  • Clausess 1 & 3 do NOT have a clear relationship. They do NOT belong in the same sentence.

• Like 2