Menu

Educational Netflix/Prime favorites?

egao_gakari

I'm trying to put together a list of history and science documentaries, classic movies, and TV/movie adaptations of classic novels for next year. At least once a month, somebody's too sick to do school, and rather than "losing" that day I like to put something edifying on the TV for us to watch and talk about... but often I wind up picking a super boring one that nobody gets anything out of! Help me make a go-to list! I'll have a 6th and 8th grader next year.

• Like 2

The Story of Maths is really well done, if someone loves math.  Also AlphaGo -- a documentary about AI. 

My daughter loves First Position of course, about ballet competition. 

Cosmos is awesome. 

Not on Netflix but you can get it on the internet -- Engineering an Empire covers a lot of different countries' histories through the lens of Architecture and Civil Engineering. 

• Like 1

We are working through Forces of Nature (Netflix).

Our kids have enjoyed numerous geography/science videos by the BBC--Land of the Monsoon was one of the big hits. Usually the first episode is an overview of the series, which can have several additional episodes. So if you want to get a great overview of a lot of topics, watching the first video in a number of series is a good way to do that, though the deeper coverage is really interesting!

• Like 1

Do NOT want Yindi the Koala...graphic non consensual koala mating, complete with screaming. 

Planet Earth I and Planet Earth II

Dogs with Jobs

Animals at Work

Monkey World (I think that is the name, on Netflix)

Filthy Riches (maybe a bit less educational but interesting)

Rick Steves Europe

Orbit - Earth's Extraordinary Journey

Animals with Cameras

Ocean Mysteries

Sea Rescues

Survivorman

Rock the Park

Life of Mammals

The various ones about extreme buildings

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, SJ. said:

Yikes! Thanks for the heads-up

You are welcome. I was NOT pleased when that happened, and was scrambling to turn it off. It wasn't brief either....a few seconds would have gone over the kids heads but it went on and on and on...sigh. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So...these are kinda boring and made for schools, but we've watched a lot of the New Dimension history videos on Prime. We like them alright.  We watched those and Time Compass, as they relate to our history lessons. Time Compass is a little juvenile (cartoony graphics) but informative.

(And just FYI:  we're a pretty free-range screen family, so this isn't like the only tv my kids get to see and so they soak it up in blissful ignorance. :D They don't love them, but they tolerate them in 20minute chunks...in case you wanted to tie in some to lessons...)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Williams1956 said:

We loved Planet Earth I & II on Netflix. Ages 5 to 35 were all really engaged.

Love, love, loved Planet Earth! DD11 now wants to live in Singapore thanks to that last episode of PE2.

On 4/19/2018 at 1:40 PM, SJ. said:

Does your library have give access to kanopy? From there you can stream classic movies and documentaries, including some of the great courses videos.

Huh, hadn't heard of Kanopy! Off to find out.

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody!!!