Menu

Amazon Read the World - updated in first post

Amira

Have you downloaded the nine free Kindle books from different countries?  I’m wondering if anyone would be interested in a book group discussing these.  https://www.amazon.com/article/read-the-world

ETA that it has been suggested to start with A River in Darkness.  Any preference for May 1st or 15th for the day we begin to discuss? This book is less than 200 pages.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I like the idea of a book club either in the Literary Hub group (currently Essential Oils-yes, seriously, no, we don't know why) or here on the Chat Board. Maybe we could decide which book to do first and do one each month or each 6 weeks depending on length?

My vote for first book is A River in Darkness about North Korea.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

I like the idea of a book club either in the Literary Hub group (currently Essential Oils-yes, seriously, no, we don't know why) or here on the Chat Board. Maybe we could decide which book to do first and do one each month or each 6 weeks depending on length?

My vote for first book is A River in Darkness about North Korea.

That all sounds good to me.  

Just a heads up if you're not in the U.S. On the Amazon Kindle facebook page customers in other countries are complaining that the world seems to be restricted to the U.S. One guy from Germany said he was able to get them with a little detective work. Someone from the UK said they're only available if you have Kindle Unlimited UK. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Just a heads up if you're not in the U.S. On the Amazon Kindle facebook page customers in other countries are complaining that the world seems to be restricted to the U.S. One guy from Germany said he was able to get them with a little detective work. Someone from the UK said they're only available if you have Kindle Unlimited UK. 

This is true, my sister wasn’t able to download.

I read the descriptions and am only up for a couple of the listed books, will join a book club for those if you have any!

• Like 1

Shall we do a book group here on the main board, like chigurre suggestion, and start with A River in Darkness?  That one is less than 200 pages so I think planning to start the discussion in a month wouldn’t be reasonable.   I’m also fine with starting with a different book if people have a preference about that.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, linders said:

Thanks for alerting me to this! I downloaded them all. And yes, interested in an online book club. I've never tried that - and only one in-person club - how might it work?

Linders

For online book groups I’ve been in, we choose a book and a date that we’ll start discussing it.  Then beginning on that day and over the next few days, people post questions and thoughts about the book.  Sometimes there’s a specific person assigned to the book to post questions, but I think that here we might just be able to dive right in.  Does that sound good?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Amira said:

Shall we do a book group here on the main board, like chigurre suggestion, and start with A River in Darkness?  That one is less than 200 pages so I think planning to start the discussion in a month wouldn’t be reasonable.   I’m also fine with starting with a different book if people have a preference about that.

1 hour ago, Amira said:

For online book groups I’ve been in, we choose a book and a date that we’ll start discussing it.  Then beginning on that day and over the next few days, people post questions and thoughts about the book.  Sometimes there’s a specific person assigned to the book to post questions, but I think that here we might just be able to dive right in.  Does that sound good?

This all sounds great, Amira. How does a discussion start date of May 1 sound? Is that too soon? I'm can bad judge of these things because I read a lot and read quickly!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TechWife said:

This all sounds great, Amira. How does a discussion start date of May 1 sound? Is that too soon? I'm can bad judge of these things because I read a lot and read quickly!

I think that probably would be too soon, at least for most book groups I’ve been in.  But if May 1st works for others, I’d love to start then. Maybe the 1st or the 15th?

I'd be interested. I'm always up for discussing a book with others.

May 15th is better for me because I'm currently in the middle of several books, leading an online read-along for one of them, and about to start the book for my IRL book club. That said, I always have more than one book going at a time so if the general consensus is May 1st I'll still join in.

• Like 2

Let’s plan on beginning a discussion of A River in Darkness on May 15th here on the chat board. I’ll try tagging everyone now who expressed interest to make sure people see this and I will also post a reminder on the 10th.  If I tag you and you don’t want to be tagged again, let me know. And anyone is welcome to join.

Thanks everyone!  I’m looking forward to this.

@onelittlemonkey @LauraBeth475 @madteaparty @Amber in SJ @theelfqueen @ashfern @chiguirre @medawyn @soror @Innisfree @Sherry in OH @Amanda Pugliese @lmrich @melbotoast @Rachel @rebcoola @OKBud @Jaybee @whitestavern @SJ. @Big Buckin' Longhorn @TechWife @trulycrabby @linders @Ottakee @dsmith @Lady Florida. @Stacia

• Like 11