Menu

2018 National Latin Exam

Anyone else get results for their student?  Mine is taking Latin 2 with Lukeion.  She neglected to study for the exam until the night before, when she took 5 or so practice tests and skimmed over D'Aulaire's Myths and an old Memoria Press study guide.  She ended up getting a gold medal, which was a pleasant surprise for both of us! 

We both can't wait for this class to be over in a couple weeks.  It's a great class, but takes a lot of time and she needs that time for other things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

My kid got a Silver this year on level 2. That was a big improvement from last year.

We were all excited to see his improvement.

Yay! Congrats!

2 hours ago, GeorgiaL said:

Using a combination of Memoria Press's Form series (Third Form) and the NLE practice tests to study, DS earned a Perfect Paper on the Latin I exam. We definitely prefer the grammar approach to Latin study, and it has served my son well. 

Wow, that's quite an accomplishment! Congrats to your son!

On 4/18/2018 at 11:06 AM, chiguirre said:

There's an early and late week too and those results might vary in timing.

My son took it on the very last day of the last week...(procrastinator). So, that's why we're still waiting. This was his first year taking the test. 

Congratulations to your children who did so well!

• Like 2

On 4/19/2018 at 10:21 AM, yvonne said:

Just heard my dd got a Gold on the Level 4/Poetry NLE!

Congrats to all!

On 4/19/2018 at 5:13 PM, crazyforlatin said:

Gold for level 4, must be poetry since DD is also classmates with Yvonne's DD.

6 hours ago, Meriwether said:

Dd got a silver on the Latin II test. She is mostly disappointed that she missed gold by one point. Maybe she'll study next time. ;)

2 hours ago, mom2hunangirls said:

Mine got Silver on Latin II. She uses Cambridge Latin at her co-op. 

Congrats to all!!

@Meriwether - missing by one point is tough!!!

cWell, my 10th grader took the Latin III this year. It was her first year not to score a gold.  She got a perfect paper, gold on Latin I and a Summa Cum Laude, gold on Latin II. This year she got a Cum Laude on Latin III.  I still think it is pretty good to be able to say she has gotten 2 golds and a Cum Laude. The history was what got her I think. We are in  Medieval history year this year, and any history study for the NLE was on top of regular studies. We did try to do a bit of study on the republic leaders, but she said there were several she just didn't know anything about. We don't know yet if this will be our final year as we haven't decided what she is doing for Latin IV next year. But I think she had a good run with the NLEs in all. 

My 8th grader got a Certificate of Merit of achievement on the Intro Exam. For her, this was a major thing! Last year she was a couple of questions under the national average on the Intro level. So this year our goal was to get her to the national average, and she ended up scoring 4 above it. We were more than pleased. I believe she will be ready for Latin I next year. 

• Like 2

I would like my younger son to take this exam next year. What is the best way to prepare?   I didn't realize a student needed history in addition to Latin. 

We've been studying Latin on our own -- a bit of Latin for Children & Getting Started with Latin, and we're just now starting on Henle.  Any idea how far he'd need to get in Henle for the Latin 1 Exam?

There is history and culture included in all of the exams. It gets much deeper with each additional level of exams. You can print all past exams from the website to give you an idea. There is also a syllabus to study from which gives you an idea of what history to study for each exam. I print it off and use as a kind of checklist against the grammar curric like Henle to see if you have covered the grammar topics needed or not.

I started my kids in the Exploratory Latin Exams for elementary school and almost all of it is vocabulary not in the usual grammar programs. We had to study from their syllabus for vocabulary for colors, nature words, history syllabus to study, etc. That is actually a good syllabus to print and use to help study for Latin I as well, though the NLEs don't have nearly as much with the colors and other more elementary things. But a good 12 questions or so of every exam is on history and culture. It is the beginning section of each exam. Looking at the past ones will give you an idea.  Also online they have a practice app. I have my kids do 10-20 questions a day to help study. I let them use their charts and books while doing it if needed so that they are studying the appropriate charts for their levels. We look up any history or culture questions that we don't know as we go on that too.  We just weren't into ancients this year to go too deep into the republic era which is the era of history on the III exam that my dd took. We had a full schedule. So we kept up latin and our regular history studies. I assigned her a book to read on the topic, but we didn't go over it much together. Just wasn't time this year for us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Serenade said:

I would like my younger son to take this exam next year. What is the best way to prepare?   I didn't realize a student needed history in addition to Latin. 

We've been studying Latin on our own -- a bit of Latin for Children & Getting Started with Latin, and we're just now starting on Henle.  Any idea how far he'd need to get in Henle for the Latin 1 Exam?

Memoria Press recommends taking the Latin I test when you are almost done with the whole Henle 1 book. Trinqueta is in the Latin I Units 6-14 class. There is also an Intro exam that has less grammar on it that might be doable.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

There is history and culture included in all of the exams. It gets much deeper with each additional level of exams. You can print all past exams from the website to give you an idea. There is also a syllabus to study from which gives you an idea of what history to study for each exam. I print it off and use as a kind of checklist against the grammar curric like Henle to see if you have covered the grammar topics needed or not.

I started my kids in the Exploratory Latin Exams for elementary school and almost all of it is vocabulary not in the usual grammar programs. We had to study from their syllabus for vocabulary for colors, nature words, history syllabus to study, etc. That is actually a good syllabus to print and use to help study for Latin I as well, though the NLEs don't have nearly as much with the colors and other more elementary things. But a good 12 questions or so of every exam is on history and culture. It is the beginning section of each exam. Looking at the past ones will give you an idea.  Also online they have a practice app. I have my kids do 10-20 questions a day to help study. I let them use their charts and books while doing it if needed so that they are studying the appropriate charts for their levels. We look up any history or culture questions that we don't know as we go on that too.  We just weren't into ancients this year to go too deep into the republic era which is the era of history on the III exam that my dd took. We had a full schedule. So we kept up latin and our regular history studies. I assigned her a book to read on the topic, but we didn't go over it much together. Just wasn't time this year for us.

Thanks for sharing!

18 hours ago, chiguirre said:

Memoria Press recommends taking the Latin I test when you are almost done with the whole Henle 1 book. Trinqueta is in the Latin I Units 6-14 class. There is also an Intro exam that has less grammar on it that might be doable.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Omma said:

Can someone tell me what the cutoff for a NLE medal is for Latin 2?  Does it depend on what state you are in?  Where can I find this info?

Thanks,

Brenda

Cutoff for 2017, not sure if 2018 has been posted yet.

2017 National Latin Exam Award Cut-Offs

Latin II Latin III
37-40 Gold Medal, Summa Cum Laude Certificate
35-36 Silver Medal, Maxima Cum Laude Certificate
33-34 Magna Cum Laude Certificate
31-32 Cum Laude Certificate
34-40 Gold Medal, Summa Cum Laude Certificate
31-33 Silver Medal, Maxima Cum Laude Certificate
28-30 Magna Cum Laude Certificate
27 Cum Laude Certificate

14 hours ago, Omma said:

Can someone tell me what the cutoff for a NLE medal is for Latin 2?  Does it depend on what state you are in?  Where can I find this info?

Thanks,

Brenda

Gold/Summa is 35

Silver/Maxima is 31

Magna Cum Laude is 28

Cum Laude is 26

I got these score requirements from the T's 2018 score report.

• Like 1