Menu

What's with the ads?

provenance61

Acellus (tutoring mode) to supplement curriculum?

I'm wondering how many use Acellus to supplement their curriculum.  Pros?  Cons?  Suggestions?  Am thinking of using the tutoring mode just as an extra.  My DD likes variety, and I'm thinking that supplementing and being able to test and jump to what is needed may be very helpful.

I use Acellus tutoring for a large chunk of my 9th grader's English.  She also uses the World History course as a stand-alone.  A lot of families use it as the base of their curriculum and then supplement with other stuff, as needed.  Different courses have different (better) teachers than others, so keep that in mind. Honestly, you'll just need to try it out and see if it suits her.  It's only $9.99/mo so, it's not a huge financial risk. 

I'm using it for History, Geography, Spanish, and one other "elective", and as reinforcement for my dd's math.  She's doing 5th grade enVision and the 5th grade Acellus math matches up exactly.

How are you doing $9.99 a month? I’m seeing $500 a month and when I emailed to ask how much to do only one subject, they replied that it’s $500 a month whether we do one subject or all six ?.   I am assuming the difference is the tutoring mode you speak of, but I didn’t see that on the website. 

1 hour ago, kand said:

How are you doing $9.99 a month? I’m seeing $500 a month and when I emailed to ask how much to do only one subject, they replied that it’s $500 a month whether we do one subject or all six ?.   I am assuming the difference is the tutoring mode you speak of, but I didn’t see that on the website. 

It's a different site. Just go to https://www.acellus.com/tutoring/.  It's $9.99 a month for up to 6 subjects.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2018 at 2:47 PM, mytwomonkeys said:

Homeschool mode & tutoring mode are both $9.99 month. Acellus Academy is what cost more. 

Yup, and even academy isn't *really* $500/mo.  I've heard that everyone who applies gets a scholarship/discount that brings it down to $80? a month.

My kids have been using this since April because I needed a break.  They like the math, science and English.  Two of my boys do not like the history so I am looking for something else for history. There is an official parent group and an unofficial parent group on Facebook which is very helpful for questions.  For $9.99 a month it's not bad. It has some kinks, but overall it is helpful. I wouldn't use it as our only curriculum.  They recently added tutor mode to the homeschool mode, this allows you to go back & forth between the two modes without losing progress in homeschool mode. In tutor mode you can review the lessons as many times as necessary and you can skip lessons your child doesn't need. 

Guest SalamKhan

Is it possible that he has some un-diagnosed issues that are actually making studying more difficult than it was for your other children? Children often develop coping strategies that disguise their difficulties, while at the same time avoiding anything that they find challenging... Or perhaps he is just very sociable and needs group interaction to learn... Or, as others have suggested, maybe a get-er-done approach is needed, so he can tick the boxes and spend his free time doing all the other things he enjoys. While I do think a child should be interested, there are times when I'm not going to let a child's attitude influence what he will/won't do when it comes to my minimum NTS jobs standards.  You talk about your son moaning and groaning, how he hated actually going to a brick and mortar, how he doesn't want to do anything so you're basically un schooling.