Menu

Non-college bound students

My sister is on this board, but hardly ever posts so I'll share....  She did a basic college prep with her probably non-college bound son just in case.  They did 4 English, 3 Science, 3 Maths up to Algebra 2, I think, plenty of writing, whatever anyone planning on community college or even state university might do.  In the end, as she guessed, he is going to a Technical school for mechanics, but he has a solid math and Science foundation, and they can both look back and be glad he can change direction if he ever wanted to.

I agree with her more than the other people who won't even go above ALgebra 1.  I think unless your child has a learning disability or other major issue, it makes sense to give them the same basic education anyone else in public school will get.  And you really never know how they will change their minds!

My dd wanted to be a math major for two years, and then went back to her original idea of being an English teacher....guess what...she will continue with math for another year or two till I am sure she's sure ?  

1 hour ago, Calming Tea said:

My sister is on this board, but hardly ever posts so I'll share....  She did a basic college prep with her probably non-college bound son just in case.  They did 4 English, 3 Science, 3 Maths up to Algebra 2, I think, plenty of writing, whatever anyone planning on community college or even state university might do.  In the end, as she guessed, he is going to a Technical school for mechanics, but he has a solid math and Science foundation, and they can both look back and be glad he can change direction if he ever wanted to.

I agree with her more than the other people who won't even go above ALgebra 1.  I think unless your child has a learning disability or other major issue, it makes sense to give them the same basic education anyone else in public school will get.  And you really never know how they will change their minds!

My dd wanted to be a math major for two years, and then went back to her original idea of being an English teacher....guess what...she will continue with math for another year or two till I am sure she's sure ?  

The "same basic education anyone else in public school will get" here in Texas for my daughter would be four attempts at algebra 1 (prealgebra is not offered in high school here, even for students who are behind or did not pass math in 8th grade) in order to pass the algebra 1 STAAR test for graduation. I much prefer my plan of doing the second half of prealgebra in 9th grade (because even working through the summer that is where she will be when school starts) and then taking as long as it takes to (hopefully) pass algebra 1 and geometry. Algebra 2 if she gets there, but that would take some kind of miracle, honestly, and possibly a fifth and six year of high school.

I think very few people, on this forum or IRL, stop math instruction after algebra 1 because they just aren't going to teach any more higher math in high school. I am sure they exist, but they are not common. I would guess that most people have students who have struggled with math for their entire life and will struggle (really, REALLY) hard just to get through algebra 1. We aren't trying to create a barrier to our student someday going to college; we are trying to give our student a solid math foundation at their level. Some kids can study math for four years in high school and only make it to algebra 1 or geometry, and it isn't for a lack of effort.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Janeway said:

I suspect if my 8th grader goes to college, it will be a slower route. I think he will need to pick more of a trade. He might go in to ballet or the military.

Nothing wrong with that.

I have one who is type-A and is coming home later this summer from Army Basic/AIT to continue his college and be in the National Guard. He's completely into all of it. He has five semesters of college with a 4.0 and wants to be the top Army grad in his class.

My other one has health and learning challenges and is taking her time. We're still not quite sure of the direction, but have some ideas. For now she's going to community college and is doing well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Calming Tea said:

I actually agree with this, that we shouldn't offer less of an education than what any child is capable of.  If they can handle higher level math, then they ought to do it!  There is no reason to make academics simpler solely because we can choose to do so.

But what I think people often forget, and I wish we could find statistics on it, is that many parents opt for homeschooling because their kids DO have special needs or learning disabilities.  If they were succeeding in the public system, few would remove them.  Also, those same kids, if in the public high school, would drop out, or be passed through, still graduating whether they had done higher math or not.  Take a look at any state test scores and see how many kids are graduating over and over without fundamental skills solidly in place, let alone higher level math.  So they are indeed graduating, and doing lower level math. (Or being passed through looking like on paper they can do it but in reality can't)

I think math and science are the areas special needs learners really, really struggle in, and they are often being held to a level that is unattainable.  Does that mean we don't teach science or math?  NO!  But teach applicable science and math.  It doesn't have to be AP level or even traditional high school level, but there is still learning that can occur, subjects taught differently, different topics covered, etc.  Why not consumer math, business math, practical odds and statistics?  Why not other forms of science like botany, earth science, ecology,basic psychology, and more?  Instead we waste time teaching what can't be learned, and lose time teaching what might enhance.  All so we can say we offered a "rigorous" course...which is pointless if that child will go on to live a life where that is never used, and where other skills were not developed because of pretending they had the same capacity as others.  Put that time to better use, teach practical and applicable subjects where they have a better chance of succeeding, and of covering ground they might actually use in the real world.  

• Like 1

The college bound don't necessarily need AP or DE either. I do think there's a fair amount of discussion of those options on homeschool boards because people are scrambling for ideas as to how and carry out certain courses and/or they want to save money by earning credits early at lower cost :-) I'm honestly not totally sure what my rising ninth grader will want to do after high school, but we will keep the college option on the table, and she may or may not do AP courses. For a student who has a definite idea for a career path in the trades, I'd probably be looking to get some exposure for them to that area of work, however that could be done, but also just make sure they have a nice well rounded education.

On 4/17/2018 at 6:37 PM, hollyhock2 said:

Are there parents on this board who have kids not headed for college? I'm pretty sure my guys will be going into skilled trades. Just wondering if there are others, and if your high school plans differ from the usual college-bound track. I don't see much on this board that isn't about DE and universities and AP, so I'm just curious.

DS #2 (fifth kiddo) doesn't have much interest in a four year degree.  He is actually thinking welding.  Our local CC has a welding program that is either a one year or two year certification.  About two years ago DS #1 knew a homeschool kiddo that took classes there during high school.  He graduated high school and the two year certification both his senior year.  ?  We plan on him taking classes for this while still in high school.  Personally? I think he'd do better as a conservation officer or something - following his interests and passions.  So far he says, nope, just a hobby.  So, we'll see.  

"Railroad workers are being offered signing bonuses of up to $25,000 to join BNSF Railway and Union Pacific Corp. as the freight railroads struggle to fill jobs in a historically tight labor market. BNSF and Union Pacific are hauling more products across the Western U.S., where their networks are based, and trying to ease congestion in areas with high demand. Freight volumes are rising on strong economic growth and industrial expansion, and a shortage of available truck capacity is pushing more shipments onto rails.At the same time, the unemployment rate has fallen to 4.1% in the U.S., and as low as 2.8% in some markets where railroads are hiring.In response, the companies are dangling incentives that analysts and union leaders say are the highest they can recall. Union Pacific is offering $10,000 to $20,000 “hiring incentives” to train crews in cities like Denver, Kansas City, Mo., and North Platte, Neb., where its largest rail yard is located. Those jobs average $40,000 in pay over the first year and $60,000 the next, according to job listings.Electricians to inspect, repair and maintain locomotives are being wooed with $25,000 signing bonuses to Union Pacific locations outside Milwaukee, in Hinkle, Ore., a three-hour drive from Portland, and elsewhere."