Menu

D3 athletic scholarship disguised as merit?

MarkT

Fact: NCAA Division III does not allow athletic scholarships.

Has anyone notice something similar to this?

a comment from the article  Prizes for Everyone: How Colleges Use Scholarships to Lure Students WSJ
"
When my daughter applied for an academic scholarship 16 years ago, she was denied it from a highly competitive university after she was accepted early decision. She graduated in the top 2-5% of her class, had SATs at the top 10% etc. She had 3 other classmates that were accepted to the same school all except one had exemplary qualifications similar to my daughters, one of them got a "merit" scholarship for ~$15K/year which was a 50% discount. She had the lowest GPA(20 percentile) and SAT scores, but was a basketball starter in their high school.  She was the only one to receive a "merit" based scholarship. Ironically, and sadly, she was in a car accident after she was at the school and could no longer play Bball from the injuries. Rumor had it that they threatened to take her scholarship money away at the time. Even though their division did not allow athletic scholarships. "

I have a D3 athlete. His merit aid is definitely merit aid and was offered to him before he was offered an athletic position (it was a few weeks later that the coach invited him to the team). He was looking at several D3 schools and all of the coaches asked ds to keep them updated on his scholarships and FA. But it really didn't seem like the coaches were talking with financial aid.

I am sure it happens but not in our case. 

• Like 1