Menu

Greatest Showman

Well that's how I found it, on the chat board, lol. But I hadn't seen it mentioned here. I don't gab much on the other boards, so I was bringing it over here. I guess it just is blowing my mind, at a time when the church can't seem to figure out if my own son is worthy of love, worth bothering to get to know, when I'm being told that it doesn't matter if he's in the service or able to attend, when they don't care if he's closeted because he's different, when different isn't ok... I don't know, just seems pretty profound. 

You might like it, but you should preview it before sharing it with your son. It might not be a good fit for him. It's a musical, so some of the story elements are related through the lyrics. And there are some tricky plot elements. Meaning some things happen that require inference.

It was not my favorite movie, to be honest, though I love love love Hugh Jackman generally and was excited to see it. I know it is has been wildly popular with many other people, though, so you may like it. It does address how society treats people who are different. I wish it were deeper, though. It seems -- to me -- more like a show and a spectacle than an exploration of deep ideas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The movie is a bit fluffy - just a great show, if you will. But it has some profoundly powerful musical numbers. My girls and I watched it in the theater when it first came out, and immediately bought the soundtrack when we got home. I'll fess up that I cried during more than one song at the theater.

Even if your kiddo doesn't watch it, you may enjoy it. It's probably in a Redbox by now. 

(And I'm sorry that your church is struggling to meet your son's needs. If nowhere else, he should feel loved and accepted there.)

• Like 1

It is available in Redbox has a digital option now (no going out and having to return a movie!).   I rewatched it over the weekend with my mother while we were away.

I have seen a few articles about traditional outsider groups embracing "This Is Me" as their new anthem.

• Like 1

We love this movie. Saw it in the theater and immediately downloaded the music and pre-ordered the movie. Yes, that song in particular makes me think of my son, his peers and all those who struggle because they are different. It's an emotional and empowering song. Ds16 loves this song as well as the others.

• Like 1