Menu

MOOC Writing 9th grade

I could use some advice please. I’m really struggling with trying to settle on a writing curriculum for my son next year. My overall goal is to prepare him for dual enrollment at the local CC beginning in 10th grade.

Do you think an English 101 (college freshman) self-paced MOOC course could work for him?  I was thinking it would help prepare him for an online college class, expectations, etc. but without the same deadlines and actual pressure.

I also found several essay classes on Udemy that look promising.

I appreciate any insight, advice, or shared experiences. I just don’t want to hop around next year. 

My son is smart, but I’d say he’s just average with writing, if that helps.

Thank you very much!! Entering homeschool high school is new terrain for me and it feels a bit overwhelming :-)

For teaching writing, feedback on the written essay is important. A MOOC does not provide instructor feedback; at best, you may be able to submit your essay for "peer review". I am not a fan of the blind leading the blind and do not consider peer review a suitable tool for writing instruction. Would you be able and willing to act as instructor and critique his written work?

• Like 2

Yes, I would feel comfortable looking at his essays and giving feedback (I will also be viewing the class lessons with him, so he won’t be left to it alone). My BIL also teaches AP classes to seniors & is available to help my son as well.  So, do you think it could work in preparing him for ENC 1101 at the local CC?

1 hour ago, mytwomonkeys said:

Yes, I would feel comfortable looking at his essays and giving feedback (I will also be viewing the class lessons with him, so he won’t be left to it alone). My BIL also teaches AP classes to seniors & is available to help my son as well.  So, do you think it could work in preparing him for ENC 1101 at the local CC?

Sure, why not?

The question is rather whether you need the MOOC at all or whether giving feedback on his writing might not be sufficient by itself.

I was hoping the syllabus, format, and online learning of a MOOC English course would help prepare him for taking ENC 1101 online in 10th grade.  Otherwise, we can just stay with Homeschool Connections Aquinas Writing, which has been going well enough. My main goal really is just wanting to set him up for success. I was hoping someone who had “been there done that” could hold my hand and tell me what to do, lol. But the reality is, I just need to try it and see if it’s a good fit or not.  I think I’ll start the course for myself over the summer to gauge how my son will even do with it & then plan my next step from there.

Thank you for your replies. I really do appreciate them!

20 hours ago, mytwomonkeys said:

I was hoping the syllabus, format, and online learning of a MOOC English course would help prepare him for taking ENC 1101 online in 10th grade.  Otherwise, we can just stay with Homeschool Connections Aquinas Writing, which has been going well enough. My main goal really is just wanting to set him up for success. 

We never used a writing program at all, and my kids both did fine in DE English (although they took it in 11th, not 10th). They weren't used to following a syllabus or having deadlines, but it's easy enough to understand. It's more important that writing skills be up to par. If you can get a copy of the ENC 1101 syllabus or main writing assignments, you might ask his current teacher for an opinion.  

Which Aquinas course is he currently taking? 

Getting s copy of the syllabus is a great idea! My daughter is actually taking ENC 1101 in the fall through DE so I really will have a good feel for the course and syllabus. The only difference is she will be on campus next year & my son will take the course online the following year.

He’s currently enrolled in HSC monthly subscription & is taking Aquinas Writing through the pre-recorded course with Erin Brown Conroy. The course is excellent. 

The MOOC course I was considering for next year is on coursera.org.  It’s English 101 through Duke University with Dr. Denise Comer. I started it today for myself & it’s very good so far & the format is wonderful.  It definitely doesn’t seem above his level at all (yet), but I’m only in week one, lol. It’s a 10 week course though, so I thought about stretching it over the whole school year. Before starting it, I was even considering having him go through A+ Essays on Udemy to kind of lead into the MOOC course. 

Anyway, I’m sure I’m overthinking and over planning, but that’s kind of my personality. I just want ninth grade to really set him up well for dual enrollment. The MOOC course he can afford to really have a lot of trial and error, mistakes, etc. But in ENC 1101 he won’t be allotted the same luxury.

Thanks for your reply and whatever additional thoughts you have!