Menu

Build Your Library Spring Sale -- 20% Off

SeaConquest

13 hours ago, SereneHome said:

Have you guys used it?  Can someone describe it to me?

I have not used it, but have pulled some from its book list. It is a lit-based, secular program. We are using Torchlight next year, which is another lit-based, secular program. BYL draws more from classic works, whereas Torchlight uses more recent books, which are more diverse and inclusive of people of color. 

• Like 1

I am using one of the unit studies right now (Prehistory) and it is a hit with my kids. We'll be using lots of BYL next year. Serene, the BYL site  has book lists and descriptions for each level/unit study. There is lots of reading--some meant for the kids, some meant for read-alouds. My kids love sitting on the couch and reading as a family, so this curric. is perfect for them. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SereneHome said:

Have you guys used it?  Can someone describe it to me?

I've used BYL2 when my kids were 8 and 6 yr old. We loved it! 
We've used BYL's Evolution unit study (actually twice, because my kids enjoyed it so much - the book selection for that unit study is amazing). 

I just picked up BYL8 for my oldest to use next year. The booklist is extensive for Level 8 but we've already got book orders coming in, and every single book looks great. We're really excited about it - and for my hormonal 12 yr old boy to get actually excited about anything is quite a feat lol. 

I really like BYL - I went through a couple of years where I decided not to use their stuff but I've always been a big fan of Emily Cook and I think she's fantastic. The curric started to be very American-history focused and we're Canadian so I would've had to change a lot so we didn't really use it except for the unit studies. But this History of Science leve couldn't be more perfect for my 12 yr old, so we're going with it. 

It's a CM-inspired curriculum, so there isn't much in the way of "busywork" type stuff - reading (SO much reading in Level 8) with narration, dictation, and some writing assignments. She does offer some discussion questions in the vocabulary/notes sections of each week, and they'd be great for just sitting and chatting with the student, or I may take some of the questions and use them for some extra writing assignments. And in Level 8, in the last few weeks there is a 5-8 page biographical report of a scientist of their choosing - it's spread out over a couple of weeks but it will be a big undertaking for my writing-phobic son. 

You do need to add a math to it, and a structured science curriculum if your child wants 'real' science - since there's so much science-focused reading, there isn't hands on science included in Level 8. I think we're going to poke around for a very simple, probably workbook-y physics curric. 

I feel like I'm rambling, but I'm happy to answer questions if you need. 

• Like 1