Menu

Can you help me decipher some terms please?

I'm in Australia and I'm not familiar with some of the terms linked to different curricula.

Honours, AP, Highschool, Regular, College etc. I've been poking around places like Thinkwell and Khan, and I can't tell the difference between some of these. 

What I'm looking for is an online secular spine for biology that my daughter can do at her own pace.

Ideally, it would have some readings, some short videos and regular quizzes. I'd like it to cover what I would consider years 11 and 12 biology. We'd then supplement with things like Great Courses and MOOCs for topics of particular interest.

Can you please help me with these terms? On Khan, would we want Biology or AP Biology? On Thinkwell, would we want AP Biology or College Biology?

Thanks heaps :)

An AP designation means the course has been approved by the College Board as meeting its standards for content and approach for the particular course; students may choose to take the AP exam whether or not they take a course with an AP designation.  Colleges may give an incoming student credit for a college course if the student scores high enough on the the AP exam (the policy of giving credit is determined by each college).

How people use the terms honours, regular, high school, etc. varies widely.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I'm in Australia and I'm not familiar with some of the terms linked to different curricula.

Honours,

Essentially meaningless in the US--anything which is not remedial. The school or curriculum can designate it.

AP

Advanced Placement, can be submitted for college credit in the US though credit is not guaranteed. Governed by the College Board. 

https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/home

Highschool

Grades 9 - 12, the four years preceding admission to a four-year university. Overlaps to some degree with community college at the college preparatory level for many students who take AP / IB.

Regular

Either not honors or not "gifted" meaning, it will provide the type of exercises needed for a standard curriculum and to allow the child to gain basic introductory mastery of the subject as part of a well-rounded education. It will be tailored such that any student, even if they are not "mathy" or into science, can get an A provided they put in sufficient work. It will provide a foundation but unlike AP or college courses, it will not provide the knowledge needed to advance to the next biology course in college (i.e. biology 180, 201, etc.). Instead, in college you would start with biology 101 after high school biology. Unless you are seeking a scholarship or admission to a science-related major at a top school, biology should suffice. AP Bio would be an excellent choice for a motivated kid who wanted to demonstrate high ability in the sciences and go into a science-related area in college. My stepdaughter took AP Bio. PM me if you have specific questions.

College etc.

Khan Academy for college will treat specific subjects that most universities include in Biology 101, etc. While helpful on a subject basis, a younger high schooler will not need this for their studies. Often it involves more math and more in-depth studies than the high-school version.

What I'm looking for is an online secular spine for biology that my daughter can do at her own pace.

Ideally, it would have some readings, some short videos and regular quizzes. I'd like it to cover what I would consider years 11 and 12 biology. We'd then supplement with things like Great Courses and MOOCs for topics of particular interest.

AP biology without the test.

Can you please help me with these terms? On Khan, would we want Biology or AP Biology?

Does your child plan to attend college? Is she progressing well towards that? AP is more advanced, more in-depth. If she's not a fan of science and just wants to check the box before going into a trade school, biology.

On Thinkwell, would we want AP Biology or College Biology?

AP Biology unless your daughter is particularly driven. College would be for college students requiring study aids in specific topics.

Thanks heaps :)

• Like 1