Menu

MIddlemarch Book 4

Lady Florida.

This book is called Three Love Problems but there's so much more in Book 4.

It begins with Featherstone's funeral which is somewhat darkly comic with it's procession of characters. There are also some surprises at the funeral  in the form of Will Ladislaw and the stranger Joshua Rigg-Featherstone. Fred gets a shock when the will is read when he learns that he almost got the inheritance he was expecting. A number of other relatives also almost received a bit of the fortune. Instead this stranger and son no one knew Featherstone had is now the newly rich Featherstone. Now we know why Mary's decision was so difficult. Do you think she was right in choosing not to burn either will? I think she didn't have a choice. If she burned one she really didn't know if anyone else knew and could put herself in a really bad position. It must have been so hard for her. Actually we know it was hard because she thinks about what she did to Fred. She didn't really "do" anything to him. He put himself in this position by expecting money he was never explicitly promised, but Mary doesn't seem to see it that way. 

Rosamond and Lydgate go forward with their wedding plans even though Mr. Vincy tries to get them to postpone it. Both young people are acting as though money is no object as they plan where to live, how to furnish their new home, and Rosamond doesn't want to cut any corners when it comes to her wedding either. A disregard for financial responsibilities is not a good way to begin a marriage. Eliot compares their love to a gossamer web, and it does seem to be a delicate relationship - that is, not one built on solid ground.

Will's presence in Middlemarch is apparently going to stir up trouble between Dorothea and her husband. Here Eliot tries to get us to see things from Casaubon's viewpoint and to feel sorry for him a bit. I think this is from Chapter 42 (it's page 401 on my free Kindle version):

"Poor Mr. Casaubon felt (and must not we, being impartial, feel with him a little?) that no man had juster cause for disgust and suspicion than he. Young Ladislaw, he was sure, meant to defy and annoy him, meant to win Dorothea's confidence and sow her mind with disrespect, and perhaps aversion, towards her husband".

I did feel with him a little - for about a minute - because it's obvious how Ladislaw feels about Dorothea and I don't think his intentions toward her are honorable. Casaubon's suspicions are well founded. But to me he's too hard to feel sorry for because instead of trying to show his love for his wife, he gets vindictive. What do you think? Did Eliot succeed in making you feel bad for him?

This book touches some of the mostly boring politics, but it also gives us a look at how some of the poorest people in the county live. Dagley had just enough to drink to speak his mind to Brooke, but it seems he's not far off base. I confess my respect for Mr. Brooke went down during this plus the discussions where Sir James and others are trying to convince him to do better for his tenants. 

What do you think are the three love problems? There's Rosamond and Lydgate obviously. Are the next two Dorothea and Casaubon and Dorothea and Will, or is Fred and Mary one of the three? I didn't find this anywhere when looking for discussion topics but have been trying to figure it out. I think there are four love problems. :)

Tomorrow I plan to get the Book 5 thread up and then by Tuesday evening when I post the Book 6 thread we'll be back on track. I know a lot of us didn't keep up during the Boardpocalypse and that's okay. I'm going to stick to the schedule as far as posting threads. Where you are though, is fine.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Will's presence in Middlemarch is apparently going to stir up trouble between Dorothea and her husband. Here Eliot tries to get us to see things from Casaubon's viewpoint and to feel sorry for him a bit. I think this is from Chapter 42 (it's page 401 on my free Kindle version):

"Poor Mr. Casaubon felt (and must not we, being impartial, feel with him a little?) that no man had juster cause for disgust and suspicion than he. Young Ladislaw, he was sure, meant to defy and annoy him, meant to win Dorothea's confidence and sow her mind with disrespect, and perhaps aversion, towards her husband".

I did feel with him a little - for about a minute - because it's obvious how Ladislaw feels about Dorothea and I don't think his intentions toward her are honorable. Casaubon's suspicions are well founded. But to me he's too hard to feel sorry for because instead of trying to show his love for his wife, he gets vindictive. What do you think? Did Eliot succeed in making you feel bad for him?

Nope. I think Casaubon is a first class prig.

And now for a few words about the political episodes (which admittedly are a bit of a slog). The font of all knowledge, i.e. Wikipedia, led me to some statistics concerning the Reform Act of 1832, namely that the electorate grew by roughly 60% with the passage of the Act, from about 500,000 men to 800,000 men (obviously no suffrage for women at this time).  At the same time there were similar Acts in Ireland and Scotland.  The latter was significant as the electorate grew from 5000 to 65,000!!  Holy Pete!

Not only did the Act increase the number of eligible voters, it also eliminated some cronyism that allowed a few wealthy men to have a seat in Parliament based on a district with few voters.

So whatever Brooke's failings, I'll cheer for anyone calling for reform.

About those three love problems...I had scratched Dorothea and Casaubon from the list since I'm not sure that theirs is a relationship that involves any love. Perhaps initially from Dorothea but I am not quite sure Casaubon is capable.  He only sees what he can take from having a wife--does he ever reciprocate? He thinks it is an honor for Dorothea to serve him, to carry on his intended work. 

I love the opening paragraph of Chapter 35:

When the animals entered the Ark in pairs, one may imagine that allied species made much private remark on each other, and were tempted to think that so many forms feeding on the same store of fodder were eminently superfluous, as tending to diminish the rations.  (I fear the part played by the vultures on that occasion would be too painful for art to represent, those birds being disadvantageously naked about the gullet, and apparently without rites and ceremonies.)

More than you probably care to know: vultures are highly intelligent and indeed have their rites.  One is to scare away those moving too close to their claimed carrion by vomiting.  And I can report that vulture vomit is probably the most disgusting thing that I have ever smelled. 

But back to the quote....how appropriate to describe the funeral procession of greedy relatives in this manner!

• Like 1