Menu

Academic Summer Camps

I am wondering what resources others use to find summer academic camps. My rising 9th grader is advanced in math and science, and I would like to send him to a math/STEM camp this summer.  I've googled quite a bit, but I just don't know where to look and how to find worthwhile options. If it's too late to find a camp for this summer, I would like to start planning for next year.  He needs more than our local high school can offer, and we do not have enrichment options locally since we live rurally on the SD/MN border.  Bonus points if you know of any quality STEM camps in the Minneapolis/St Paul area. 

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

My ds did a few during his high school years. (No talent testing scores.) We’re in New England but I did lots of googling. They were all Ones  you had to apply for though and deadlines were late winter or early spring. He needed transcripts and letters of recommendation so be prepared to get those together too

check colleges within the distance you’re willing to drive. I’ve seen lots of daycamp style ones pop up too if you have a university near you.

His were all week long stay on campus in the dorms ones. he did: summer engineering programs at two u’s with engineering Departments, career explorations through 4H at a public ivy two summers where you could sign up for different areas each year, a cyber security program.

once we found his first one we started asking about others. Google was difficult tbh, lots were not easy to find.

Ive been seeing more the last year or two, especially robotics and coding camps and the cyber security program is spreading to lots of areas too.

good luck! They were great experiences but pricey.

Just to give you an idea of what’s out there:

fyi ones that award college credit or include room and board are obviously pricier

https://www.bestcollegereviews.org/features/pre-college-summer-technology-programs-high-school-students/

https://www.gen-cyber.com/

key words I looked for when we were searching were “engineering/ coding/ robotics summer programs for high school students”

if your kiddo has robotics experience (mine did) then it’s likely most of the coding and robotics camps will be below his level, but engineering & cyber ones were good

while I’m at it, I’ll put in a plug for the FTC robotics program- not summer camp but the best activity mine did during high school !

Thank you, everyone, for the replies and information. These ideas are exactly what I had in mind.

My ds has not talent tested yet, but I am thinking we should do that. He has tested in the 99th percentile in all his school standardized testing. I know he is bright, and his teachers see that he has much more aptitude than they can reach in his standard classes. Our small rural school does not have gifted or advanced offerings; the most they have been able to do is to skip him ahead in math. I am sure we will look at college math classes for his 10th grade year, which is when they are available to him through the school.

His science teachers are heavily recruiting him for Robotics next year (starts in 9th grade in our district). I am pushing as well, but the Robotics season runs concurrent with the wrestling season. He is a varsity wrestler and the physical and mental commitment of that level has been very difficult for a 13/14 year old, especially as a starter on a state ranked team.  Wrestling satisfies his sensory therapy needs and is his current passion, so it's a difficult balancing act.....when to push, when to pull, and when to step back.