Menu

Book club book suggestions?

mamakelly

My book club is currently reading Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. I haven't started it yet so I can't give an opinion.

Some books we've read and (most of us) liked:

MIddlesex. Jeffrey Eugenides

The Moor's Account, Laila Lalami

The Nightingale, Kristin Hannah -  I was the only one who thought it didn't live up to the hype

Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston

A Room With a View, E.M. Forster

Notorious RBG, Irin Carmon &  Shana Knizhnik- brief biography of Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Persepolis, Marjane Satrapi- we all stretched and left our comfort zone as none of us usually read graphic novels, also non-fiction

A Marriage of Opposites, Alice Hoffman

The Luminaries, Eleanor Catton

The Girl With Seven Names, Lee Hyeon-seo - non-fiction

Salvage the Bones, Jesmyn Ward

All but three are fiction. All of the fiction were enjoyable novels on their own but provided plenty of discussion.

• Like 3

Mitten Strings for God

Christian book that is nonfiction and easy to read but poetic and lovely and makes the point to slow down. 

Dd has been reading classics--she really loves Thomas Hardy. Jude the Obscure, anyone? She also loved Mayor of Casterbridge. Lots of twists and turns. 

I would be intimidated by that, and kinda turned off, but hey, maybe a classic would be interesting. 

• Like 1

I just finished In the Heart of the Sea, which motivated me to finally read Moby Dick (which I’ve started a couple times but never got far).  It’s non fiction account of the sinking of a Nantucket whaling ship, The Essex, the event which Melville based Moby Dick on.  It was very interesting. Of course, I love non fiction. If you liked Endurance by Lansing, and even if you liked Life of Pi or other survival stories you’d like In the Heart of the Sea.

Discussion points include tribalism, racism, capitalism, environmental stewardship, cannibalism, leadership

• Like 1

On 4/14/2018 at 12:10 AM, Stacia said:

News of the World by Paulette Jiles

Born a Crime by Trevor Noah

The Plover by Brian Doyle

What is Not Yours is Not Yours by Helen Oyeyemi

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie

The Distant Marvels by Chantel Acevedo

A General Theory of Oblivion by José Eduardo Agualusa

I keep trying to get my book club to read The Sparrow. Its SO GOOD. (but does take either  alack of imagination or a strong stomach)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

That looks good. I've added it to my to-read list. I love threads like these (in addition to the book a week threads).

The Warmth of Other Suns is fantastic. Highly recommend. 

And I'm another one who loved The Sparrow. Standard disclaimer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Targhee said:

I just finished In the Heart of the Sea, which motivated me to finally read Moby Dick (which I’ve started a couple times but never got far).  It’s non fiction account of the sinking of a Nantucket whaling ship, The Essex, the event which Melville based Moby Dick on.  It was very interesting. Of course, I love non fiction. If you liked Endurance by Lansing, and even if you liked Life of Pi or other survival stories you’d like In the Heart of the Sea.

Discussion points include tribalism, racism, capitalism, environmental stewardship, cannibalism, leadership

I read both Heart of the Sea and Endurance last year, but I still haven't managed to tackle Moby Dick...

• Like 1

I've been on an African theme off and on in recent years and these are some favorites that I think would be good for a book club:

Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight:  An African Childhood by Alexandra Fuller

Twenty Chickens for a Saddle by Robyn Scott

Sizwe's Test:  A Young Man's Journey Through Africa's AIDS Epidemic by Jonny Steinberg

West with the Night by Beryl Markham

Cry the Beloved Country by Alan Paton  (an all-time favorite of mine, which you've probably already read)

• Like 1