Menu

Independent history/literature/writing work for a 2e kid

In the past, I have been very fond of teacher-intensive curricula. But I have been sick for a while now, and I cannot do what I used to do. And as a result, not a lot is getting done. Dd13 is 2e. She really struggles with writing and time management generally. She needs programs that do not beat around the bush. And I need something that I don't have to schedule--that she can pick up and simply do the next thing. I have math, grammar and foreign language covered. I was using TOG for history/lit/writing, but I cannot gather all the materials that are necessary each week. Is there some other program that combines these three things? She has a very strong history background. She is also an excellent writer, but it takes her a lot of time to write. So I need something that is not too easy, but also does not have a lot of busy work. 

She's at a lovely age to do Beautiful Feet for a year. I'm not saying it will be what you're used to, but it's written the student, engaging, and it gets some of their pro-active juices going. We did some the year my ds was born. My dd would have been a similar age (10-ish) at the time.

On the taking time to write, is she proficient with her typing? That's another thing she could do independently. I made a big push with my dd around that age. I flat out paid her, $1 per wpm achieved any month where she increased by at least 5 wpm. 

On 4/13/2018 at 10:36 PM, PeterPan said:

She's at a lovely age to do Beautiful Feet for a year. I'm not saying it will be what you're used to, but it's written the student, engaging, and it gets some of their pro-active juices going. We did some the year my ds was born. My dd would have been a similar age (10-ish) at the time.

On the taking time to write, is she proficient with her typing? That's another thing she could do independently. I made a big push with my dd around that age. I flat out paid her, $1 per wpm achieved any month where she increased by at least 5 wpm. 

Thank you for the suggestion. Yeah, I had her start learning to type at 6yo, so she is quite proficient now. I don' know how she would get any writing done otherwise. 

• Like 1

Notgrass has all three, though the focus is history and literature (with Bible) with the writing being less of a composition class and more just writing assignments as part of the possible output. The high school levels do actually have a several weeks long scaffolded section that teaches them to write a research paper though.

Overall, it's scalable (do full credits of history, lit, and Bible or do fewer assignments for partial credits) and written to the student. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreeing Notgrass is very straight forward (do A, then B, then C).  The materials are lovely and sturdy (physical layout and makeup). There’s only occasional writing prompts but not writing instruction.  And my dd thought it was busy work (but she hates history so I don’t think I will ever win).  What about Omnibus?  ETA: Omnibus online would make it so you only had to help her with soft skills.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Targhee said:

Agreeing Notgrass is very straight forward (do A, then B, then C).  The materials are lovely and sturdy (physical layout and makeup). There’s only occasional writing prompts but not writing instruction.  And my dd thought it was busy work (but she hates history so I don’t think I will ever win).  What about Omnibus?  ETA: Omnibus online would make it so you only had to help her with soft skills.

Thank you very much! I will look at both!